A staircase-shaped printed monopole antenna (SPMA) with a partial ground structure for wireless applications is proposed. The performance parameters of the designed antenna have been evaluated by integrating a novel structure of frequency selective surface (FSS) with the antenna. A Polyimide dielectric material has been utilized for designing both the antenna and the FSS reflector. The proposed SPMA integrated with designed FSS reflector operates at dual bands from 2.18 to 2.83 GHz and 4.42 to 5.58 GHz with fractional impedance bandwidth of 25.94% and 23.2%, respectively. A single-layered FSS reflector with a 5 × 5 array size is employed to obtain optimum performance. The suggested combined structure of the FSS reflector integrated staircase antenna achieves an attractive peak gain of 7.87 dBi and radiation efficiency of 98.8%. The design methodology for the antenna and unit cell design of the required FSS, analysis of field and current distributions, fabricated prototyped models of antenna and FSS along with measured results are included and discussed in this article. The proposed antenna is suitable for modern wireless communication (WLAN/Wi-Fi etc.) applications at 2.4/5.2 GHz.
Boddapati Taraka Phani Madhav,
Mohammed El Ghzaoui,
"Radiation Performance Improvement of a Staircase Shaped Dual Band Printed Antenna with a Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) for Wireless Communication Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 137, 53-64, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23072402
1. Kumar, J., B. Basu, F. A. Talukdar, and A. Nandi, "Stable-multiband frequency reconfigurable antenna with improved radiation efficiency and increased number of multiband operations," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 5, 642-648, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5602
2. Nehra, R. K. and N. S. Raghava, "Compact dual-band Zig Zag shaped implantable antenna for biomedical devices," Indian Journal of Pure & Applied Physics (IJPAP), Vol. 60, No. 10, 841-848, 2022.
3. Ayoub, A. F., "Analysis of rectangular microstrip antennas with air substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1755-1766, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322760335
4. Wang, W. and Y. Zheng, "Improved design of the Vivaldi dielectric notch radiator with etched slots and a parasitic patch," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1064-1068, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2832098
5. Wang, C., L. Wang, Y. Zhang, W. Hu, and X. Jiang, "A filtering dielectric resonator antenna using CPW fed for sub-6 GHz applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 105, 49-56, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22041002
6. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and C. Shafai, "Gain and efficiency enhancement of compact and miniaturised microstrip antennas using multi-layered laminated conductors," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 4, 402-411, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0061
7. Sheng, X., X. Lu, N. Liu, and Y. Liu, "Design of broadband high-gain Fabry-Perot antenna using frequency-selective surface," Sensors, Vol. 22, 9698, 2022. doi:10.3390/s22249698
8. Mondal, K., "A novel-shaped reduced size FSS-based broadband high gain microstrip patch antenna for WiMAX/WLAN/ISM/X-band applications," Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, Vol. 30, No. 16, 2150290, Dec. 30, 2021. doi:10.1142/S021812662150290X
9. Zhang, J.-J., B. Wu, Y.-T. Zhao, L. Song, H.-R. Zu, R.-G. Song, and D.-P. He, "Two-dimensional highly sensitive wireless displacement sensor with bilayer graphene-based frequency selective surface," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 21, No. 21, 23889-23897, 2021. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2021.3116457
10. Ashyap, A. Y. I., Z. Z. Abidin, S. H. Dahlan, H. A. Majid, M. R. Kamarudin, A. Alomainy, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. S. Kosha, and J. M. Noras, "Highly efficient wearable CPW antenna enabled by EBG-FSS structure for medical body area network applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 77529-77541, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2883379
11. Das, P. and K. Mandal, "Passive FSS based polarization converter integrated microstrip antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 2, e22982, Feb. 2022.
12. Boukern, D., A. Bouacha, D. Aissaoui, M. Belazzoug, and T. A. Denidni, "High-gain cavity antenna combining AMC-reflector and FSS superstrate technique," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 7, e22674, 2021. doi:10.1002/mmce.22674
13. Fernandes, E. M. F., M. W. B. da Silva, L. da Silva Briggs, A. L. P. de Siqueira Campos, H. X. de Araujo, I. R. S. Casella, C. E. Capovilla, V. P. R. M. Souza, and L. J. de Matos, "2.4-5.8 GHz dual-band patch antenna with FSS reflector for radiation parameters enhancement," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 108, 235-241, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.06.021
14. Sah, S., A. Mittal, and M. R. Tripathy, "High gain dual band slot antenna loaded with frequency selective surface for WLAN/fixed wireless communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 2, 519-525, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31559
15. Ballav, S., A. Chatterjee, and S. K. Parui, "Gain augmentation of a dual-band dielectric resonator antenna with frequency selective surface superstrate," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 4, e22575, 2021. doi:10.1002/mmce.22575
16. Ashvanth, B., B. Partibane, M. G. Alsath, and R. Kalidoss, "Gain enhanced multipattern reconfigurable antenna for vehicular communications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 6, e22192, Jun. 2020. doi:10.1002/mmce.22192
17. Marhoon, H. M., N. Qasem, N. Basil, and A. R. Ibrahim, "Design and simulation of a compact metal-graphene frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with FSS superstrate for 5G applications," International Journal on Engineering Applications, Vol. 10, 193-201, 2022.
18. Ali, T., M. M. Khaleeq, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 84, 273-280, Feb. 1, 2018.
19. Devarapalli, A. B. and T. Moyra, "Design of a metamaterial loaded W-shaped patch antenna with FSS for improved bandwidth and gain," Silicon, 1-4, Oct. 10, 2022.
20. Paula, A. L., M. C. Rezende, and J. J. Barroso, "Experimental measurements and numerical simulation of permittivity and permeability of teflon in X band," Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management, Vol. 3, 59-64, Jan. 2011. doi:10.5028/jatm.2011.03019410
21. Meher, P. R. and S. K. Mishra, "Design and development of mathematical equivalent circuit model of broadband circularly polarized semi-annular ring-shaped monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 129, 73-87, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC22120909