This letter investigates a differential, planar and wideband antenna on a commercial organic printed circuit board (PCB) substrate at 240 GHz with a novel packaging concept to integrate massive monolithical integrated circuits (MMICs). The antenna utilizes multiple series resonators to achieve a bandwidth of 75 GHz around 240 GHz. A novel differential bond wire package solution from chip to antenna feeds the differential antenna from an on-chip Marchand balun. The fabrication of the antenna and interconnect are analyzed, and potential improvements for future works are highlighted. Measurement proves the function of the designed package, which is competitive to the state of the art.
"Differential Wideband Antenna on Organic Substrate at 240 GHz
with a Differential Wirebond Package," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 113, 35-42, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23072606
1. Rajatheva, N., I. Atzeni, E. Bjornson, A. Bourdoux, S. Buzzi, J.-B. Dore, S. Erkucuk, M. Fuentes, K. Guan, Y. Hu, X. Huang, J. Hulkkonen, J. M. Jornet, M. Katz, R. Nilsson, E. Panayirci, K. Rabie, N. Rajapaksha, M. Salehi, H. Sarieddeen, T. Svensson, O. Tervo, A. Tolli, Q. Wu, and W. Xu, "White paper on broadband connectivity in 6G,", 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3053486
2. De Lima, C., D. Belot, R. Berkvens, A. Bourdoux, D. Dardari, M. Guillaud, M. Isomursu, E.-S. Lohan, Y. Miao, A. N. Barreto, M. R. K. Aziz, J. Saloranta, T. Sanguanpuak, H. Sarieddeen, G. Seco-Granados, J. Suutala, T. Svensson, M. Valkama, B. Van Liempd, and H. Wymeersch, "Convergent communication, sensing and localization in 6G systems: An overview of technologies, opportunities and challenges," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 26902-26925, 2021.
3. Steinweg, L., J. Hebeler, T. Meister, T. Zwick, and F. Ellinger, "8.0-pj/bit bpsk transmitter with LO phase steering and 52-Gbps data rate operating at 246 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1-10, 2023. doi:10.23919/EuMC.2017.8230825
4. Lacombe, E., F. Gianesello, A. Bisognin, C. Luxey, D. Titz, H. Gulan, and T. Zwick, "240 GHz antenna integrated on low-cost organic substrate packaging technology targeting high-data rate sub-THz telecommunication," 2017 47th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 164-167, 2017.
5. Schafer, J., D. Muller, T. Zwick, G. Eren, and I. Kallfass, "Tx front end concept for FMCW radar with frequency scanning antenna at 240 GHz," 2018 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, 2018. doi:10.23919/EuMC54642.2022.9924340
6. Hebeler, J., L. Steinweg, and T. Zwick, "Differential bondwire interface for chip-to-chip and chipto-antenna interconnect above 200 GHz," 2022 52nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 306-309, 2022. doi:10.23919/EuMC.2018.8541732
7. Ahmed, F., M. Furqan, and A. Stelzer, "120-GHz and 240-GHz broadband bow-tie antennas in EWLB package for high resolution radar applications," 2018 48th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1109-1112, 2018. doi:10.1109/TTHZ.2020.3038026
8. Shaulov, E., S. Jameson, and E. Socher, "A zero bias J-band antenna-coupled detector in 65-nm CMOS," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, 62-69, 2021. doi:10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2019.8889358
9. Ahmad, W., M. Kucharski, H. Ng, and D. Kissinger, "A compact efficient D-band micromachined on-chip differential patch antenna for radar applications," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 2201-2202, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2022.3209670
10. Wu, P., K. Liu, and Z. Yu, "220 GHz high-gain substrate integrated antennas with low fabrication cost based on higher order mode and PCB technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 71, No. 1, 18-28, 2023.