A novel radar energy control strategy based on an improved Interacting Multiple Model Particle Filter (IMMPF) tracking method is presented in this paper. Firstly, the IMMPF tracking method is improved by increasing the weight of the particle which is close to the system state and updating the model probability of every particle. Based on this improved IMMPF method, an energy control method for Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) is then presented, which controls the emission time and power of radar according to the target's range and radar cross section (RCS), under the condition of constant detection probability. The tracking accuracy and LPI performance are demonstrated in the Monte Carlo simulations. The results are validated through the comparisons with other methods.
1. Krishnamurthy, V., "Emission management for low probability intercept sensors in network centric warfare," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics Systems, Vol. 41, No. 1, 133-151, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAES.2005.1413752
2. Wu, P. H., "On sensitivity analysis of low probability of intercept (LPI) capability," IEEE Conference on Military Communications, 2889-2895, Atlantic City, USA, October 17-20, 2005.
3. Fancey, C. and C. M. Alabaster, "The metrication of low probability of intercept waveforms," 2010 International Conference on Waveform Diversity and Design, 58-62, Niagara Falls, USA, August 8-13, 2010.
4. Deng, H., "Waveform design for MIMO radar with low probability of intercept (LPI) property ," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 305-308, Spokane, USA, July 3-8, 2011.
5. Schleher, D. C., "LPI radar: Fact or fiction," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 5, 3-6, 2006. doi:10.1109/MAES.2006.1635166
6. Stove, A. G., A. L. Hume, and C. J. Baker, "Low probability of intercept radar strategies," IEE Proceedings - Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 151, No. 5, 249-260, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20041056
7. Layne, J. R. and U. C. Piyasena, "Adaptive interacting multiple model tracking of maneuvering targets," Proceedings of 16th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, Vol. 1, 16-23, Ohio, USA, 1997.
8. Mazor, E., A. Averbuch, Y. Bar-Shalom, and J. Dayan, "Interacting multiple model methods in target tracking a survey," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, 103-123, 1998. doi:10.1109/7.640267
9. Seah, C. E. and I. Hwang, "Algorithm for performance analysis of the IMM algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 47, No. 2, 1114-1124, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAES.2011.5751246
10. Gordon, N. J., D. J. Salmond, and A. F. M. Smith, "Novel approach to nonlinear/non-Gaussian Bayesian state estimation," IEE Proceedings - Part F: Radar & Signal Processing, Vol. 140, No. 2, 107-113, 1993. doi:10.1049/ip-f-2.1993.0015
11. Hong, S., L. Wang, Z.-G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Simplified particle phd filter for multiple-target tracking: Algorithm and architecture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 481-498, 2011.
12. Wang, X., J.-F. Chen, Z.-G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Fuzzy-control-based particle filter for maneuvering target tracking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 1-15, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11051907
13. Yuan, L., et al., "Object tracking with particle filtering in fluorescence microscopy images: Application to the motion of neurofilaments in axons," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 31, No. 1, 117-130, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMI.2011.2165554
14. Hong, L., N. Cui, M. Bakich, and J. R. Layne, "Multirate interacting multiple model particle filter for terrain-based ground target tracking," IEE Proceedings Control Theory & Applications, Vol. 153, No. 6, 721-731, 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-cta:20050047
15. Boers, Y. and J. N. Driessen, "Interacting multiple model particle filter," IEE Proceedings Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 150, No. 5, 344-349, 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20030741
16. Hong, S.-M. and Y.-H. Jung, "Optimal scheduling of track updates in phased array radars," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 3, 1016-1022, 1998. doi:10.1109/7.705920
17. Lynch, Jr., D., Introduction to RF Stealth, Northwestern Polytechnical University Press, 2004.
18. Clayton Kerce, J., G. C. Brown, and M. A. Mitchell, "Phase-only transmit beam broadening for improved radar search performance," IEEE Conference on Radar, 451-456, 2007. doi:10.1109/RADAR.2007.374259