A new wideband magneto-electric dipole antenna using coplanar waveguide (CPW) structure is proposed in this paper. The proposed antenna consists of a pair of horizontal triangular patches and two vertically oriented L-shaped strips. By introducing triangular patches working as an electric dipole, the antenna can operate in a wide band. With the use of L-shaped strips equivalent to a magnetic dipole, the antenna is low in profile. A microstrip feed line is located between the two L-shaped strips to form a coplanar waveguide structure and excite the antenna. By carefully adjusting the gap between the feed line and the strips, the impedance bandwidth can be improved largely. A parametric study is performed to provide information for designing and optimizing such an antenna. A prototype is fabricated and measured. The simulated and measured results show that the impedance bandwidth for SWR less than 2 of the proposed antenna is 58.7% (1.95-3.57 GHz). Due to the complementary nature of the antenna, the proposed antenna has a unidirectional radiation pattern with low-polarization and low back-lobe radiation over the whole operating band. Furthermore, the gain of the antenna is stable across the entire bandwidth.
2. Ta, S. X., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Wideband double-dipole Yagi-Uda antenna FED by a microstrip-slot coplanar stripline transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 71-87, 2012.
3. Zivkovic, I., "Dielectric loading for bandwidth enhancement of ultra-wide band wire monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 241-252, 2012.
4. Chen, A.-X., T. H. Jiang, Z. Chen, and D. Su, "A novel low-profile wideband UHF antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 75-88, 2011.
5. Jin, X.-H., X.-D. Huang, C.-H. Cheng, and L. Zhu, "Super-wideband printed asymmetrical dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 117-123, 2011.
6. Malekpoor, H. and S. Jam, "Ultra-wideband shorted patch antennas FED by folded-patch with multi resonances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 309-326, 2012.
7. Zhang, Z.-Y., S. Zuo, X. Zhang, and G. Fu, "Ultra-wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna for pattern improvement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 37-46, 2013.
8. Bai, X. and S.-W. Qu, "Wideband cavity-backed crossed dipoles for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, No. 36, 133-142, 2013.
9. Medeiros, C.-R., E.-B. Lima, J.-R. Costa, and C.-A. Fernandes, "Wideband slot antenna for WLAN access points," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 79-82, 2010.
10. Ou Yang, J., S. Bo, J. Zhang, and Y. Feng, "A low-profile unidirectional cavity-backed log-periodic slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 119, 423-433, 2011.
11. Ghosh, B., S. N. Sinha, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Radiation from cavity-backed fractal aperture antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 155-170, 2009.
12. Wang, F. J. and J.-S. Zhang, "Wide band cavity-backed patch antenna for PCS/IMI2000/2.4 GHz WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 39-46, 2007.
13. Yang, W. and J. Zhou, "Wideband low-profile substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed E-shaped patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 12, 143-146, 2013.
14. Fan, S.-T., S.-F. Zheng, Y.-M. Cai, Y.-Z. Yin, Y.-J. Hu, and J. H. Yang, "Design of a novel wideband loop antenna with parasitic resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 47-54, 2013.
15. Wong, H., K.-M. Mak, and K.-M. Luk, "Wideband shorted bowtie patch antenna with electric dipole," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, 2098-2101, 2008.