In this article, a dual-polarized hybrid cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna (CDRA) is studied. A ring-shaped patch along with an inverted L-strip is used to excite two different hybrid modes (HE11δ and HE12δ-like mode) in CDRA. HE12δ mode in CDRA is very advantageous in terms of gain and radiation characteristics. The proposed antenna design shows triple-band characteristics i.e. 1.88-2.06 GHz, 2.29-2.58 GHz and 2.9-3.93 GHz with the fractional bandwidth of 9.13%, 11.9% and 30.16%, respectively. Due to inverted L-strip, it shows circular polarization characteristics within the frequency range 3.3-3.55 GHz (AR<3 dB). The simulated results are practically verified by using archetype of proposed antenna structure. The proposed antenna design is applicable to WLAN (2.4 GHz) and WiMAX (2.5/3.5 GHz) applications.
1. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2007.
2. Fang, X. S. and K. W. Leung, "Linear-/circular-polarization designs of dual-/wide-band cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 2662-2671, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194682
3. Sharma, S. K. and M. K. Brar, "Aperture coupled pentagon shaped dielectric resonator antennas providing multiband and wideband performance," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 395-400, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27338
4. Bemani, M., S. Nikmehr, and H. Younesiraad, "A novel small triple band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11–12, 1688-1698, 2012.
5. Guha, D., H. Gajera, and C. Kumar, "Cross-polarized radiation in a cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna: Identification of source, experimental proof, and its suppression," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 1863-1867, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2398127
6. Guha, D., A. Banerjee, C. Kumar, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Higher order mode excitation for highgain broadside radiation from cylindrical dielectric resonators antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 71-77, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167922
7. Lin, Y.-F., H.-M. Chen, and C.-H. Lin, "Compact dual-band hybrid dielectric resonator antenna with radiating slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 6-9, 2009.
8. Ding, Y. and K. W. Leung, "On the dual-band DRA-slot hybrid antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 624-630, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013433
9. Khalily, M., M. K. A. Rahim, and M. R. Kamarudin, "Modified cylindrical dielectric resonators excited with loaded fork monopole antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2887-2890, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26407
10. Sharma, A. and R. K. Gangwar, "Compact tri-band cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with circular slots for wireless application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 3, 331-340, 2016.
11. Fang, X., K. W. Leung, and E. H. Lim, "Singly-fed dual-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 532-535, 2014.
12. Lee, J. M., S. J. Kim, G. Kwon, C. M. Song, Y. Yang, K. Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized semi eccentric annular dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1810-1813, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435052
13. Khalily, M., M. R. Kamarudin, M. Mokayef, and M. H. Jamaluddin, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for 5.2 GHz WLAN-applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 443-446, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2309657
14. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas-a review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-wave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, 230-247, 1994. doi:10.1002/mmce.4570040304
15. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2001.
16. Best, S. R., "The significance of ground-plane size and antenna location in establishing the performance of ground-plane-dependent antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, Vol. 51, 29-43, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5433095
17. Kajfez, D., A. W. Glisson, and J. James, "Computed modal field distributions for isolated dielectric resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, 1609-1616, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132900
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, A John Wiley & Sons, INC., Publication, 2005.