In this paper, a novel temperature dependent electromagnetic modeling for the design of airborne radome is presented. A smooth spatial temperature distribution on the radome surface is modeled using a piecewise cubic hermite interpolating polynomial as well as piecewise linear interpolation. The temperature gradient across the radome wall is modeled using the inhomogeneous planar layer. The performance of a radome is computed using the 3D ray tracing method in conjunction with aperture integration. A unique radome wall configuration is obtained for each ray for accurate representation of a hot radome. A streamlined radome designed using the proposed model shows a significant performance improvement over the radome designed at the average temperature. The designed radome has the minimum insertion loss of 0.015 dB and the maximum boresight error of 1.8 mrad. The proposed method can be easily used with the experimentally obtained temperature distribution to predict the changes in radome performance in changing hypersonic environment.
2. Cary, R. J. H., The Handbook of Antenna Design, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., 1983.
3. Kozakoff, D. J., Analysis of Radome-enclosed Antennas, 2nd Edition, Artech House, 2010.
4. Nair, R., M. Suprava, and R. Jha, "Graded dielectric inhomogeneous streamlined radome for airborne applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 862-863, 2015.
5. Yazeen, P. M., C. Vinisha, S. Vandana, M. Suprava, and R. U. Nair, "Electromagnetic performance analysis of graded dielectric inhomogeneous streamlined airborne radome," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2718-2723, 2017.
6. Nair, R. U. and R. M. Jha, "Electromagnetic design and performance analysis of airborne radomes: Trends and perspectives," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 4, 276-298, 2014.
7. Zhou, L., Y. Pei, and D. Fang, "Dual-band A-sandwich radome design for airborne applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 218-221, 2015.
8. Xu, W., B. Y. Duan, P. Li, N. Hu, and Y. Qiu, "Multiobjective particle swarm optimization of boresight error and transmission loss for airborne radomes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 11, 5880-5885, 2014.
9. Xu, W., B. Duan, P. Li, and Y. Qiu, "A new efficient thickness profile design method for streamlined airborne radomes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 11, 6190-6195, 2017.
10. Xu, W., B. Duan, P. Li, and Y. Qiu, "Study on the electromagnetic performance of inhomogeneous radomes for airborne applications. Part I: Characteristics of phase distortion and boresight error," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 6, 3162-3174, 2017.
11. Xu, W., P. Li, and Y. Qiu, "Electromagnetic performance analysis of inhomogeneous airborne radomes for circular polarization applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, 74-78, 2019.
12. Zhou, L., Y. Pei, R. Zhang, and D. Fang, "Optimal design for high-temperature broadband radome wall with symmetrical graded porous structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 1-14, 2012.
13. Kilcoyne, N. R., "A two-dimensional ray-tracing method for the calculation of radome boresight error and antenna pattern distortion,", Ohio State Univ. Columbus Electroscience Lab., 1963.
14. Weckesser, L. B., R. K. Frazer, D. J. Yost, B. E. Kuehne, G. P. Tricoles, R. Hayward, and E. L. Rope, "Aerodynamic heating effects on radome boresight errors," Proceeding of 14th Symposium on Electromagnetic Windows, 45-51, 1978.
15. Nair, P. R. U. and R. M. Jha, "Temperature dependent EM performance predictions of dielectric slab based on inhomogeneous planar layer model," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 1-2, 2012.
16. Sonalikar, H. S., "Temperature dependent EM investigation of inhomogeneous dielectric wall for application in ablatable radome," 2018 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propagation (InCAP), 1-5, Hyderabad, India, December 2018.
17. Aparna, A. P. and H. S. Sonalikar, "Temperature dependent electromagnetic design of dielectric wall for airborne applications," 2019 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propagation (InCAP), Ahmedabad, India, December 2019.
18. Nair, R. U., S. Vandhana, S. Sandhya, and R. M. Jha, "Temperature-dependent electromagnetic performance predictions of a hypersonic streamlined radome," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 154, 65-78, 2015.
19. Nair, R. U. and R. M. Jha, "Electromagnetic performance analysis of a novel monolithic radome for airborne applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3664-3668, 2009.
20. Crone, G. A. E., A. W. Rudge, and G. N. Taylor, "Design and performance of airborne radomes: A review," IEE Proc., Vol. 128, 451-464, 1981.
21. Rabbath, C. A. and D. Corriveau, "A comparison of piecewise cubic Hermite interpolating polynomials, cubic splines and piecewise linear functions for the approximation of projectile aerodynamics," Defence Technology, Vol. 15, No. 5, 741-757, 2019.
22. Chen, F., Q. Shen, and L. Zhang, "Electromagnetic optimal design and preparation of broadband ceramic radome material with graded porous structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 445-461, 2010.
23. Eliason, L. K. and G. C. Zellner, "A survey of high temperature ceramic materials for radomes,", Melpar Inc., Falls Church, VA, 1964.
24. Aparna, A. P. and H. S. Sonalikar, "Fast computation of radome EM parameters with golden section search method for radiation pattern peak detection," Proc. 5th International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (IEEE CONECCT), Bangalore, India, July 2019.
25. Zanwar, Y. S., A. Parameswaran, and H. S. Sonalikar, "Optimization of gimbal parameters to improve the boresight error performance of airborne radomes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 90, 127-135, 2020.
26. Burks, D. G. and J. L. Volakis, ``Radomes" in Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill, 2007.