A conformal circularly polarized UHF antenna integrated on the body of a CubeSat is presented. The antenna operates at 485 MHz and provides at least 10 MHz impedance bandwidth. Traditional UHF antennas for CubeSat have been wire or tape measures that require mechanical deployment, whereas the antenna reported in this paper does not need such treatment and therefore has a potential application in CubeSat mission by promising a more reliable communication link and reduced cost. The measurements showed good agreements with the design data, validating frequency response, bandwidth, and circular polarization level of the proposed antenna.
2. Vaccaro, S., J. Mosig, and P. de Maagt, "Two advanced solar antenna solant designs for satellite and terrestrial communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 2028-2034, 2003.
3. Vaccaro, S., C. Pereira, J. R. Mosig, and P. de Magaat, "In-flight experiment for combined planar antennas and solar cells (solant)," IET Microw. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 3, No. 8, 1279-1287, 2009.
4. Turpin, T. W. and R. Baktur, "Meshed patch antennas integrated on solar cells," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 693-696, 2009.
5. Jones, T. R., J. P. Grey, and M. Daneshmand, "Solar panel integrated circular polarized aperture-coupled patch antenna for cubesat applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1895-1899, 2018.
6. Podilchak, S. K., D. Comite, B. K. Montgomery, Y. Li, V. Gomez-Guillamon Buendıa, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Solar-panel integrated circularly polarized meshed patch for cubesats and other small satellites," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 96560-96566, 2019.
7. Narbudowicz, A., S. Chalermwisutkul, P. J. Soh, M. Faizal Jamlos, and M. J. Ammann, "Compact UHF antenna utilizing cubesat’s characteristic modes," 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, Krakow, Poland, 2019.
8. Costantine, J., et al., "UHF deployable helical antennas for cubesats," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 3752-3759, 2016.
9. Tawk, Y., "Physically controlled cubesat antennas with an adaptive frequency operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1892-1896, 2019.
10. Schraml, K., A. Narbudowicz, D. Heberling, S. Chalermwisutkul, and M. J. Ammann, "Easy-to-deploy LC-loaded dipole and monopole antennas for CubeSat," 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2303-2306, Paris, France, 2017.
11. Tariq, S. and R. Baktur, "Circularly polarized UHF up- and downlink antennas integrated with cubesat solar panels," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1424-1425, Vancouver, Canada, 2015.
12. Wong, K.-L., C.-C. Huang, and W.-S. Chen, "Printed ring slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 1, 75-77, 2002.
13. Han, T.-Y., "Broadband circularly polarized square-slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 549-554, 2008.