The design of a compact Pi-shape microstrip antenna for dual-polarized wideband response is proposed. The Pi-shape geometry is realized by modifying a compact C-shape patch. The two stubs placed on the Pi-shape patch edge, optimize the spacing in between the higher order TM20 and TM30 modes with respect to the fundamental TM10 mode which yield a bandwidth of more than 430 MHz (>35%). On an air suspended substrate, antenna exhibits broadside gain of more than 5 dBi over the impedance bandwidth. The orthogonal surface current variations across the TM10, TM20 and TM30 modes realize polarization agility satisfying the requirements of GSM900/navigation satellite applications/ISM900. With respect to the band start frequency, the proposed configuration offers 11% reduction as compared with the equivalent rectangular microstrip antenna. Further, by defining the resonant length at each of the Pi-shape patch modes, the formulation for their resonant frequency is proposed. The Pi-shape antennas redesigned using them at the given fundamental mode frequency yield similar dual polarized wideband responses offering bandwidth of > 35%.
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., Artech House, USA, 2003.
3. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA, 2002.
4. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory & Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
5. Zhao, F., W. Zhang, L. G. Han, and R. Yang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna fed with the aperture-coupled microstrip," Electromagnetics, Vol. 38, No. 1, 58-69, 2018.
6. Ghorbani, K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Dual polarized wide-band aperture stacked patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 8, 2171-2175, 2004.
7. Row, J.-S., S. H. Yeh, and K. L. Wong, "Compact dual-polarized microstrip antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 27, No. 4, 284-287, 2004.
8. Lam, K. Y., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, H. Wong, and K. B. Ng, "Small circularly polarized U-slot wideband patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 87-90, 2011.
9. Wong, K.-L., C. T. Hao, and W. C. Tzung, "Broadband dual-polarized aperture-coupled patch antennas with modified H-shaped coupling slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 2, 188-191, 2002.
10. Wong, K.-L. and T. W. Chiou, "Broadband dual-polarized patch antennas fed by capacitively coupled feed and slot-coupled feed," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 3, 346-351, 2002.
11. Deshmukh, A. A., S. Pawar, A. G. Ambekar, P. Kamble, and K. P. Ray, "Compact Y-shape antenna for dual polarized wideband response," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, Aurangabad, 2017.
12. Jin, Y. and Z. Du, "Broadband dual-polarized F-probe fed stacked patch antenna for base stations," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1121-1124, 2015.
13. Shad, S., Z. Rahimian, and M. Bemani, "Design of a wideband dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with novel structure for WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 7, 1599-1602, 2016.
14. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Wideband dual-polarized microstrip patch excited by hook shaped probes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3645-3649, 2008.
15. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
16. Xue, M., J. Liu, Z. Zhao, X. Yang, and Y. Ying, "Wideband dual polarized hybrid fed patch antenna," International Journal of RF Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 6, 2019.
17. Lian, R., S.-F. Zheng, Y.-Z. Yin, J. Wu, S. Zhang, and G. Zhang, "A single-layer wideband dual-polarized antenna with high isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 115-122, 2014.
18. Rambabu, K., M. Alam, J. Bornemann, and M. A. Stuchly, "Compact wideband dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, Vol. 2, 1955-1958, CA, USA, 2004.
19. Gao, S. C., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A novel dual-polarized, wide-band microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Digest, Vol. 4, 78-81, Held in Conjunction with: USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Boston, MA, USA, 2001.
20. Li, B., Y.-Z. Yin, H. Wei, D. Yang, and Y. Zhao, "Wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 427-430, 2012.
21. Tang, Z., J. Liu, Y. M. Cai, J. Wang, and Y. Yin, "A wideband differentially fed dual-polarized stacked patch antenna with tuned slot excitations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 4, 2055-2060, 2018.
22. Xie, J. J., X. L. Liu, Y. Z., and J. H. Wang, "Wideband dual-polarized electromagnetic-fed patch antenna with high isolation and low cross-polarization," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 171-173, 2013.
23. Babakhani, B. and S. Sharma, "Wideband frequency tunable concentric circular microstrip patch antenna with simultaneous polarization reconfiguration," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 2, 203-216, 2015.
24. Yang, Z.-X., H.-C. Yang, J.-S. Hong, and Y. Li, "Bandwidth enhancement of a polarization-reconfigurable patch antenna with stair-slots on the ground," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 579-582, 2014.
25. CST Microwave Studio, , Version 2019.
26. Ambekar, A. G., A. A. Deshmukh, S. Pawar, and K. P. Ray, "Dual polarized variations of pshape microstrip antenna loaded with stub," Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Communication. Lecture Notes on Data Engineering and Communications Technologies Springer, Vol. 36, 257-266, 2020.
27. Liu, N.-W., L. Zhu, W. W. Choi, and G. Fu, "A low-profile wideband aperture-fed microstrip antenna with improved radiation patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 1, 2018.
28. Liu, N., L. Zhu, and W. Choi, "A differential-fed microstrip patch antenna with bandwidth enhancement under operation of TM10 and TM30 modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1607-1614, 2017.
29. Wen, J., D. Xie, and L. Zhu, "Bandwidth-enhanced high-gain microstrip patch antenna under TM30 and TM50 dual-mode resonances," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 10, 1976-1980, 2019.
30. Radavaram, S. and M. Pour, "Wideband radiation reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna loaded with two inverted U-slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1501-1508, 2019.
31. Yoo, J. U. and H.-W. Son, "A simple compact wideband microstrip antenna consisting of three staggered patches," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 12, 2038-2042, 2020.
32. Zhang, J., L. Zhu, Q. Wu, N. Liu, and W. Wu, "A compact microstrip-fed patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth and harmonic suppression," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 12, 5030-5037, 2016.
33. Perli, B. R. and A. M. Rao, "Characteristic mode analysis of wideband microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 97, 201-212, 2019.