A 4-port wideband Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) antenna operating in the frequency band from 24.8 GHz to 27.6 GHz dedicated to 5G application is proposed in this manuscript. The MIMO antenna is implemented on a 23.75 × 42.5 × 0.508 mm3 Roger/Druoid 5880 substrate with relative dielectric constant εr = 2.2 and loss tangent 0.0009. Firstly, the design starts with a simulation and optimization of a single element antenna based on Minkowski fractal shape as Defected Ground Structures (DGSs) using CST Studio Suite. The single proposed element shows a 7 dBi gain and antenna efficiency of 85% at the operating frequency band. Secondly, to design a MIMO antenna with good isolation, three different configurations are used, and overall MIMO performances such as low Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC), high Diversity gain (DG), and low Channel Capacity Loss (CCL) are calculated and analyzed. Finally, fabrication and measurement are conducted to validate the concept for single and 2-port MIMO antenna performance.
2. Kumar, S., A. S. Dixit, R. R. Malekar, H. D. Raut, and L. K. Shevada, "Fifth generation antennas: A comprehensive review of design and performance enhancement techniques," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, No. 163 , 568-593, 2020.
3. Shayea, I., T. A. Rahman, M. H. Azmi, and M. R. Islam, "Real measurement study for rain rate and rain attenuation conducted over 26 GHz microwave 5G link system in malaysia," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, No. 19 , 044-064, 2018.
4. Fatah, S. Y. A., E. K. Hamad, W. Swelam, A. Allam, M. F. A. Sree, and H. A. Mohamed, "Design and implementation of UWB slot-loaded printed antenna for microwave and millimeter wave applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, No. 29 , 555-564, 2021.
5. Rahman, M., M. NagshvarianJahromi, S. S. Mirjavadi, and A. M. Hamouda, "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with integrated bluetooth for personal wireless communication and UWB applications," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, 158, 2019.
6. Marzouk, H. M., M. I. Ahmed, and A. H. A. Shaalan, "Novel dual-band 28/38 GHz MIMO antennas for 5G mobile applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 103-117, 2019.
7. Ghouz, H. H. M., M. F. A. Sree, and M. A. Ibrahim, "Novel wideband microstrip monopole antenna designs for WiFi/LTE/WiMax devices," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 9532-9539, 2020.
8. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., H. Jahanbakhsh Basherlou, M. Alibakhshikenari, Y. Ojaroudi Parchin, Y. I. Al-Yasir, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and E. Limiti, "Mobile-phone antenna array with diamond-ring slot elements for 5G massive MIMO systems," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 5, 521, 2019.
9. Kiem, N. K., H. N. B. Phuong, and D. N. Chien, "Design of compact 4 × 4 UWB-MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejection," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 2014.
10. Abdalla, M. A. and A. A. Ibrahim, "Compact and closely spaced metamaterial MIMO antenna with high isolation for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1452-1455, 2013.
11. Zou, X.-J., G.-M. Wang, Y.-W. Wang, and B.-F. Zong, "Mutual coupling reduction of quasi-Yagi antenna array with hybrid wideband decoupling structure," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 129, 153553, 2021.
12. Ibrahim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, A. B. Abdel-Rahman, and H. F. Hamed, "Compact MIMO antenna with optimized mutual coupling reduction using DGS," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 2, 173, 2014.
13. Toktas, A. and A. Akdagli, "Compact multiple-input multiple-output antenna with low correlation for ultra-wide-band applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 8, 822-829, 2015.
14. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact multiple-input-multiple-output antenna using quasi-self-complementary antenna structures for ultrawideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 13, 1021-1029, 2014.
15. Abdelaziz, A. and E. K. Hamad, "Isolation enhancement of 5G multiple-input multiple-output microstrip patch antenna using metamaterials and the theory of characteristic modes," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 11, e22416, 2020.
16. Zou, X.-J., G.-M. Wang, Y.-W. Wang, and H.-P. Li, "An efficient decoupling network between feeding points for multielement linear arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 5, 3101-3108, 2019.
17. Ki Hamad, E. and M. Zm Hamdalla, "Design of miniaturized and high isolation metamaterial-based MIMO antenna for mobile terminals," JES. Journal of Engineering Sciences, Vol. 45, No. 6, 763-772, 2017.
18. Zhao, A. and Z. Ren, "Size reduction of self-isolated MIMO antenna system for 5G mobile phone applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 152-156, 2018.
19. Ren, Z. and A. Zhao, "Dual-band MIMO antenna with compact self-decoupled antenna pairs for 5G mobile applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 82288-82296, 2019.
20. Yang, Z., J. Xiao, and Q. Ye, "Enhancing MIMO antenna isolation characteristic by manipulating the propagation of surface wave," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, No. 115 , 572-581, 2020.
21. Nakmouche, M. F., A. Allam, D. E. Fawzy, D. B. Lin, M. Fathy, and A. Sree, "Development of H-slotted DGS based dual band antenna using ann for 5G applications," 15th Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag. (EuCap), 2021.
22. Nakmouche, M. F., A. Allam, D. E. Fawzy, and D. B. Lin, "Low profile dual band H-slotted DGS based antenna design using ann for K/Ku band applications," International Conference on Electrical & Electronics Engineering, 2021.
23. Nakmouche, M. F. and M. Nassim, "Impact of metamaterials DGS in PIFA antennas for IOT terminals design," 2019 6th International Conference on Image and Signal Processing and Their Applications (ISPA), 1-4, IEEE, 2019.
24. Nakmouche, M. F., D. E. Fawzy, A. Allam, H. Taher, and M. F. A. Sree, "Dual band SIW patch antenna based on H-slotted DGS for Ku band application," 2020 7th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ICEEE), 194-197, IEEE, 2020.
25. Mahlaoui, Z., A. Latif, A. Hussaini, I. Elfergani, A. Ali, F. Mirza, and R. Abd-Alhameed, "Design of a Sierpinski patch antenna around 2.4 GHz/5 GHz for WiFi (ieee 802.11 n) applications," 2015 Internet Technologies and Applications (ITA), 472-474, IEEE, 2015.
26. Goyal, N., S. S. Dhillon, and A. Marwaha, "Hybrid fractal microstrip patch antenna for wireless applications," 2015 1st International Conference on Next Generation Computing Technologies (NGCT), 456-461, IEEE, 2015.
27. Mandelbrot, B. B., "Stochastic models for the earth’s relief, the shape and the fractal dimension of the coastlines, and the number-area rule for islands," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 72, No. 10, 3825-3828, 1975.
28. Kaur, M. and J. S. Sivia, "Ann and FA based design of hybrid fractal antenna for ISM band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 98, 127-140, 2020.
29. Cohen, N., "Fractal antenna and fractal resonator primer," Benoit Mandelbrot: A Life in Many Dimensions, 207-228, World Scientific, 2015.
30. Mezaal, Y. S., "New compact microstrip patch antennas: Design and simulation results," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 12, 1-6, 2016.
31. Kubacki, R., M. Czy zewski, and D. Laskowski, "Minkowski island and crossbar fractal microstrip antennas for broadband applications," Applied Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 3, 334, 2018.
32. Sultan, K. S. and H. H. Abdullah, "Planar UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual notch characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 119-129, 2019.
33. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 162-170, 2017.
34. Wang, F., Z. Duan, X. Wang, Q. Zhou, and Y. Gong, "High isolation millimeter-wave wideband MIMO antenna for 5G communication," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, 2019.
35. Sun, Y. -X. and K. W. Leung, "Substrate-integrated two-port dual-frequency antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3692-3697, 2016.
36. Zhang, Y., J.-Y. Deng, M.-J. Li, D. Sun, and L.-X. Guo, "A MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with improved isolation for 5G mm-wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 747-751, 2019.
37. Khalid, M., et al., "4-port MIMO antenna with defected ground structure for 5G millimeter wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 71, 2020.
38. Iqbal, A., A. Basir, A. Smida, N. K. Mallat, I. Elfergani, J. Rodriguez, and S. Kim, "Electromagnetic bandgap backed millimeter-wave MIMO antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 111135-111144, 2019.
39. Hussain, N., M.-J. Jeong, J. Park, and N. Kim, "A broadband circularly polarized Fabry-Perot resonant antenna using a single-layered PRS for 5G MIMO applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 42897-42907, 2019.
40. Jiang, H., L.-M. Si, W. Hu, and X. Lv, "A symmetrical dual-beam bowtie antenna with gain enhancement using metamaterial for 5G MIMO applications," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1-9, 2019.
41. Al Abbas, E., M. Ikram, A. T. Mobashsher, and A. Abbosh, "MIMO antenna system for multi-band millimeter-wave 5G and wideband 4G mobile communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, No. 181 , 916-923, 2019.
42. Iffat Naqvi, S., N. Hussain, A. Iqbal, M. Rahman, M. Forsat, S. S. Mirjavadi, and Y. Amin, "Integrated LTE and millimeter-wave 5G MIMO antenna system for 4G/5G wireless terminals," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 14, 3926, 2020.
43. El Hadri, D., A. Zakriti, A. Zugari, M. El Ouahabi, and J. El Aouf, "High isolation and ideal correlation using spatial diversity in a compact MIMO antenna for fifth-generation applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2020, 2020.