In this paper, a rectangular monopole antenna engraved with a complementary split-ring resonator is proposed for dual-band operation. The proposed antenna is fabricated on an FR4 substrate with a dimension of 20 x 34 x 1.6 mm3. The entire simulation is done using CST EM studio software. The proposed antenna exhibits dual-band operation from 1.78 GHz to 1.90 GHz and from 3.45 GHz to 6.58 GHz. The band from 1.78 GHz to 1.90 GHz is due to the inclusion of CSRR, and its corresponding bandwidth is 120 MHz. It is validated with the quasi-static analysis. The permittivity characteristics of the proposed CSRR are retrieved using the NRW method and presented. The resonant frequency of the band created by the CSRR is 1.83 GHz with -37.68 dB as its return loss values. The second wider band is due to the combination of the mode created by the CSRR along with the radiating patch from 3.45 GHz to 6.58 GHz with 3132 MHz which has a dual resonance at 3.65 GHz and 5.59 GHz with a return loss of -30.23 dB and -29.80 dB. The optimal values are chosen with the help of parametric analysis. The designed antenna is fabricated and measured. The measured results of return loss, gain, E-plane, and H-plane are compared with simulated results, and they are complying with each other. The dual-band operation, compact size, stable radiation pattern along with gain above 2.3 dBi in the whole resonating band make it suitable for the GSM and WLAN/WiMAX/5G Sub-6 GHz band (new radio band).
2. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "Multiband multimode arched bow-shaped fractal helix antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 47-78, 2013.
3. Xu, P., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Multiband modified fork-shaped monopole antenna with dual L-shaped parasitic plane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 6, 364-365, 2011.
4. Baudha, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Miniaturized dual broadband printed slot antenna with parasitic slot and patch," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2260-2265, 2014.
5. Chaurasia, P., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, and M. K. Khandelwal, "Design and analysis of seven-bands-slot-antenna with small frequency ratio for different wireless applications," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 99, 100-109, 2019.
6. Al-Tumah, W. A. G., R. M. Shaaban, and A. Tahir, "Design, simulation and measurement of triple band annular ring microstrip antenna based on shape of crescent moon," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 117, 2020.
7. Shan, K., C. L. Ruan, and L. Peng, "Design of a novel planar ultrawideband antenna with 3.5 and 5.5 GHz dual band notched characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 370-375, 2011.
8. Iqbal, A., A. Bouazizi, O. A. Saraereh, A. Basir, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design of multiple band, meandered strips connected patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 79, 51-57, 2018.
9. Basar, M. R., M. A. Hossain, M. R. U. Hoque, and K. M. Morshed, "Compact dual l-slit slotted antenna for spacecraft, WLAN, Wi-Fi, and bluetooth application," 2012 7th International Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering (ICECE), 706-708, IEEE, 2012.
10. Liu, G., M. Fang, R. Zhi, J. Bai, and Z. Zeng, "Compact CPW-fed multiband antenna for TD-LTE/WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 65, 9-14, 2017.
11. Ran, X., Z. Yu, T. Xie, Y. Li, X. Wang, and P. Huang, "A novel dual-band binary branch fractal bionic antenna for mobile terminals," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2020, Article ID 6109093, 9 pages, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/6109093.
12. Promwong, S. and A. Pinsakul, "A monolithic patch antenna on a semi-insulated Alumina (Al2O3Al2O3) substrate for active integrated antenna," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 115, 2755-2765, 2020.
13. Liu, C. Y., T. Jiang, and Y. S. Li, "A compact wide slot antenna with dual band-notch characteristic for ultra-wideband applications," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 10, No. 1, 55-64, 2011.
14. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antennas using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 2175-2182, 2012.
15. Weng, Z. B., Y. C. Jiao, F. S. Zhang, Y. Song, and G. Zhao, "A multiband patch antenna on metamaterial substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 445-452, 2008.
16. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "SRR superstrate for gain and bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 76, 73-85, 2017.
17. Al-Bawri, S. S., S. Islam, H. Y. Wong, and M. F. Jamlos, "Bandwidth and gain enhancement of quad-band CPW-fed antenna for wireless applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 2, 1-14, 2020.
18. Patel, S. K., C. Argyropoulos, and cY. P. Kosta, "Broadband compact microstrip patch antenna design loaded by multiple split ring resonator superstrate and substrate," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 5030, 1-12, 2016.
19. Liu, T., X. Y. Cao, J. Gao, Q. Yang, and W. Q. Li, "Design of miniaturized broadband and high gain metamaterial patch antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2858-2861, 2011.
20. Zhao, X., Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Design of a compact patch antenna using split-ring resonator embedded substrate," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2786-2790, 2011.
21. Dattatreya, G. and K. K. Naik, "A low volume flexible CPW-fed elliptical-ring with split-triangular patch dual-band antenna," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, 2019.
22. Arya, A. K., S. J. Kim, and S. Kim, "A dual-band antenna for LTE-R and 5G lower frequency operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 88, 113-119, 2020.
23. Naoui, S., L. Latrach, and A. Gharsallah, "Metamaterials microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication RFID technology," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 1060-1066, 2015.
24. Pandeeswari, R., "SRR and NBCSRR inspired CPW fed triple band antenna with modified ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 111-118, 2018.
25. Naik, K. K., "Asymmetric CPW-fed SRR patch antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 103-108, 2018.
26. Geetharamani, G. and T. Aathmanesan, "Design of metamaterial antenna for 2.4 GHz WiFi applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 113, No. 4, 2289-2300, 2020.
27. Boopathi Rani, R. and S. Pandey, "A CPW-fed circular patch antenna inspired by reduced ground plane and CSRR slot for UWB applications with notch band," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 745-749, 2017.
28. Herraiz-Martınez, F. J., G. Zamora, F. Paredes, F. Martın, and J. Bonache, "Ultiband printed monopole antennas loaded with OCSRRs for PANs and WLANs," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1528-1531, 2011.
29. Sam, P. J. C. and N. Gunavathi, "A tri-band monopole antenna loaded with circular electric-inductive-capacitive metamaterial resonator for wireless application," Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, Vol. 126, No. 10, 1-11, 2020.
30. Daniel, R. S. and R. Selvaraj, "A low-profile spilt ring monopole antenna loaded with hexagonal split ring resonator for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 92, 169-179, 2020.
31. Prasad Jones Christydass, S., N. Gunavathi, and , "Octa-band metamaterial inspired multiband monopole antenna for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 97-110, 2021.