We report on the modeling of light reflection in disordered chirped mirrors with a photonic band gap in the visible. The stop band limits have a threshold-like behavior as a function of disorder and sustain a certain amount of disorder before changing. We determine the disorder value that leads to a substantial broadening of the total reflection range.
2. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1995.
3. Palestino, A. G., M. B. de la Mora, J. A. del Rio, C. Gergely, and E. Perez, "Porous silicon mirrors with enlarged omnidirectional band gap," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 121909, 2007.
4. Agarwal, V. and J. A. del Rio, "Tailoring the photonic band gap of porous silicon dielectric mirror," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 82, 1512, 2003.
5. Agarwal, V. and J. A. del Rio, "Filters, mirrors and microcavities from porous silicon," Int. J. of Mod. Phys. B, Vol. 20, No. 99, 2006.
6. Agarwal, V., J. A. del Rio, G. Malpuech, M. Zamfirescu, A. Kavokin, D. Coquillat, D. Scalbert, M. Vladimirova, and B. Gil, "Photonic bloch oscillations in porous silicon optical superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, 097401, 2004.
7. Xifré-Perez, E., L. F. Marsal, J. Pallares, and J. Ferre-Borrull, "Porous silicon mirrors with enlarged omnidirectional band gap," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 97, 064503, 2005.
8. Cazzanelli, M. and L. Pavesi, "Time-resolved photoluminescence of all-porous-silicon microcavities," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 56, 15264, 1997.
9. Ishikura, N., M. Fujii, K. Nishida, S. Hayashi, J. Diener, M. Mizuhata, and S. Deki, "Broadband rugate filters based on porous silicon," Optical Materials, Vol. 31, 102, 2008.
10. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, Wiley, New York, 1988.
11. Bush, K., S. Lolkes, R. B. Wehrspohn, and H. Foll, Photonic Crystals, Wiley, Weinheim, 2004.
12. Wu, C. J., B. H. Chu, and M. T. Weng, "Analysis of optical reflection in a chirped distributed bragg reflector," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 129-138, 2009.
13. Wu, C.-J., B.-H. Chu, M.-T. Weng, and H.-L. Lee, "Enhancement of bandwith in a chirped quarter-wave dielectric mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 437-447, 2009.
14. Sozuer, H. S. and K. Sevim, "Robustness of one-dimensional photonic band gaps under random variations of geometrical parameters," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 72, 195101, 2005.
15. Astratov, V. N., A. M. Adawi, S. Fricker, M. S. Skolnick, D. M. Whittaker, and P. N. Pusey, "Interplay of order and disorder in the optical properties of opal photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, 165215, 2002.
16. Kaliteevski, M. A., J. Manzanares-Martinez, D. Cassagne, and J. P. Albert, "Disorder-induced modification of the transmission of light in a two-dimensional phtonic crystal," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, 11301, 2002.