A miniaturized dual-band microstrip antenna has been designed and analyzed for Wireless LAN application. The proposed antenna comprises a 29 × 29mm2 radiating patch, fed by a microstrip line on a 1.6mm thick FR4 dielectric material substrate. The antenna measurement illustrates impedance bandwidth of around 10% at 2.4GHz resonance and 6% at 5.5GHz resonance. The measured stable return loss and radiation patterns are presented for the proposed dual-band electrically small microstrip antenna for wireless applications.
2. Palandoken, M. and H. Henke, "Fractal negative-epsilon metamaterial," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 2010.
3. Stuart, H. R. and A. Pidwerbetsky, "Electrically small antenna elements using negative permittivity resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, 1644-1653, 2006.
4. Ghosh, B., S. Ghosh, and A. B. Kakade, "Investigation of gain enhancement of electrically small antennas using double-negative, single-negative, and double-positive materials," Physical Review E, Vol. 78, 026611, 2008.
5. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandoken, "Novel stacked μ-negative material-loaded antenna for satellite applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, 229-235, 2016, doi:10.1017/S175907871400138X.
6. Kimouche, H. and S. Oukil, "Electrically small antenna with defected ground structure," 2012 9th European Radar Conference (EuRAD), IEEE, 2012.
7. Geng, J.-P., J. Li, R.-H. Jin, S. Ye, X. Liang, and M. Li, "The development of curved microstrip antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 53-73, 2009.
8. Thal, H. L., "New radiation Q limits for spherical wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2006.
9. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations in omnidirectional antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 1163-1175, 1948.
10. Wheeler, H. A., "Fundamental limitations of small antennas," IRE Proc., Vol. 35, 1479-1484, 1947.
11. Patel, R. H., A. Desai, and T. Upadhyaya, "A discussion on electrically small antenna property," Microwave Opt. Technol. Letter, Vol. 57, 2386-2388, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.29335.
12. Yaghjian, A. D. and S. R. Best, "Impedance, bandwidth, and Q of antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 53, 1298-1324, 2005.
13. Zhang, Y. and H. Y. D. Yang, "Bandwidth-enhanced electrically small printed folded dipoles," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 9, 236-239, 2010.
14. Li, L.-W., C.-P. Lim, and M.-S. Leong, "Near fields of electrically small thin square and rectangular loop antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, 181-193, 2001.
15. Dang, L., Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, G. L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 9, 1178-1181, 2010.
16. Peng, C.-M., I.-F. Chen, and J.-W. Yeh, "Printed broadband asymmetric dual-loop antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 12, 898-901, 2013.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
18. McLean, J. S., "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 44, 672-676, 1996.
19. Bancroft, R. and H. A. Wheeler, "Fundamental dimension limits of antennas ensuring proper antenna dimensions in mobile device designs," Centurion Wireless Technologies, 2014.