In this paper, an innovative technique for the determination of the dielectric properties of planar substrates is presented. Starting from a set of impedance measurements performed on a section of a microstrip transmission line built on the planar dielectric substrate under test, the proposed technique formulates the reconstruction problem in terms of an optimization one successively solved by means of an effective stochastic algorithm. Such a method allows one the reconstruction of the permittivity values at multiple frequencies by simply using a vector network analyzer and a standard calibration procedure for the impedance measurement. The results of some representative experimental tests are shown for a preliminary assessment of the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
2. Azaro, R., E. Zeni, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Innovative design of a planar fractal-shaped GPS/GSM/Wi-Fi antenna," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 3, 825-829, 2008.
3. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "Design of a miniaturized planar antenna for FCC-UWB communication systems," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1975-1978, 2008.
4. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. bin Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008.
5. Tounsi, M. L., R. Touhami, A. Khodja, and M. C. E. Yagoub, "Analysis of the mixed coupling in bilateral microwave circuits including anisotropy for Mics and Mmics applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 281-315, 2006.
6. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Massa, and M. Raffetto, "A parallel implementation of an evolutionary-based automatic tool for microwave circuit synthesis: Preliminary results," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 3, 169-172, 2002.
7. Hamdi, N., A. Aguili, A. Bouallegue, and H. Baudrand, "A new technique for the analysis of discontinuities in microwave planar circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 137-151, 1999.
8. Das, N. K., S. M. Voda, and D. M. Pozar, "Two methods for the measurement of substrate dielectric constant," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 7, 636-642, Jul. 1987.
9. Lee, M.-Q. and S. Nam, "An accurate broadband measurement of substrate dielectric constant," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 6, No. 4, 168-170, Apr. 1996.
10. Keam, R. and A. D. Green, "Measurement of complex dielectric permittivity at microwave frequencies using a cylindrical cavity," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 3, 212-214, Feb. 1995.
11. Olyphant, M. and J. H. Ball, "Strip-line method for dielectric measurements at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Electr. Insul., Vol. 5, No. 1, 26-32, Mar. 1970.
12. Gorriti, A. G. and E. C. Slob, "A new tool for accurate S-parameters measurements and permittivity reconstruction," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 43, No. 8, 1727-1735, Aug. 2005.
13. Misra, D., M. Chabbra, B. R. Epstein, M. Mirotznik, and K. R. Foster, "Noninvasive electrical characterization of materials at microwave frequencies using an open-ended coaxial line: Test of an improved calibration technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 1, 8-14, Jan. 1990.
14. Migliore, M. D., "Partial self-calibration method for permittivity measurement using truncated coaxial cable," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 15, 1275-1277, Jul. 2000.
15. Athey, T. W., M. A. Stuchly, and S. S. Stuchly, "Measurement of radio frequency permittivity of biological tissues with an open-ended coaxial line: Part 1," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 30, No. 1, 82-86, Jan. 1982.
16. Ocera, A., M. Dionigi, E. Fratticcioli, and R. Sorrentino, "A novel technique for complex permittivity measurement based on a planar four-port device," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2568-2575, Jun. 2006.
17. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, Feb. 2004.
18. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2004.
19. Donelli, M., G. Franceschini, A. Martini, and A. Massa, "An integrated multi-scaling strategy based on a particle swarm algorithm for inverse scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 2, 298-312, Feb. 2006.
20. Benedetti, M., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "A fully-adaptive smart antenna prototype: Ideal model and experimental validation in complex interference scenarios," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 96, 173-191, 2009.
21. Azaro, R., F. De Natale, M. Donelli, and A. Massa, "PSO-based optimization of matching loads for lossy transmission lines," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1485-1487, Aug. 2006.
22. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Robert E. Krieger, Malabar, FL, 1987.