In the field of maritime surveillance, HF surface wave radars seem to be considered as an optimum and low cost solution. Nevertheless, the commonly used radiating elements of those radars are not yet able to only launch surface waves. We aim to design a specific radiating element optimized for exciting such waves. The first step of such an issue is to set thoroughly the problem. In this paper, surface waves on the boundary between two dielectric media are considered. Kistovich decomposition is applied in order to discuss the influence of the Zenneck wave on the field excited at the sea surface. It is shown that Zenneck approach and Norton's one are not contradictory. Above all, we point out that, using Kistovich decomposition to design radiating elements, we can expect a significant improvement of the surface wave intensity.
2. Jangal, F., S. Saillant, and M. Helier, "Ionospheric clutter mitigation using one-dimensional or two-dimensional wavelet processing," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 112-121, 2009.
3. Moutray, R. E. and A. M. Ponsford, "Integrated maritime surveillance: Protecting national sovereignty," Proceedings of the International Radar Conference 2003, 385-388, Sep. 3-5, 2003.
4. Wait, J. R., "The ancient and modern history of EM ground-wave propagation ," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 5, 7-24, 1998.
5. Collin, R. E., "Hertzian dipole radiating over a lossy earth or sea: some early and late 20th-century controversies," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 2, 64-79, 2004.
6. Banos, A., Dipole Radiation in the Presence of a Conducting Halfspace, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1966.
7. Norton, K. A., The physical reality of space and surface waves in the radiation field of radio antenna, Procedings of the IRE, Vol. 25, No. 9, 1192-1202, 1937.
8. Datsko, V. N. and A. A. Kopylov, "On surface electromagnetic waves," Physics-Uspekhi, Vol. 51, No. 1, 101-102, 2008.
9. Kukushkin, A. V., "On the existence and physical meaning of the Zenneck wave," Physics-Uspekhi, Vol. 52, No. 7, 755-756, 2009.
10. Fock, V., "Diffraction of radio waves around the Earth's surface," Acad. Sci. USSR. J. Phys., Vol. 9, 255-266, 1945.
11. Burrows, C. R., "The surface wave in radio propagation over plane Earth," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 25, 219-229, 1937.
12. Kistovich, Y. V., "Possibility of observing Zenneck surface waves in radiation from a source with a small vertical aperture," Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys., Vol. 34, No. 4, 391-394, 1989.