In this paper, for the very first time, a general algorithm for designing rectangular microstrip patch antenna, partially loaded with SNG (Single Negative) (MNG (µ Negative) and ENG (ε Negative)) metamaterial has been proposed to achieve better radiation performance. Then, applying our proposed algorithm, theoretically we have predicted novel dual band miniaturized rectangular patch antennas (loaded with MNG metamaterial) for two different bands using unconventional interface resonance mode under fundamental TM010 mode. Then we have proposed a complete design of magnetic inclusions, presenting full wave numerical simulations of the structure, which effectively supports the theoretical expected resonant modes as well as satisfactory radiation pattern performance. Prior to our current work, impossibility of sub-wavelength or electrically small rectangular patch antenna has been demonstrated using ENG metamaterial. However, in this paper, we have indicated a direction towards the real-life implementation of possible miniaturized rectangular patch antennas partially loaded with MNG metamaterial. The algorithm proposed in this paper is the key to choose the appropriate material parameter to design all such antennas.
2. Guha, D., M. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for cross polarization suppression," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 455-458, 2005.
3. Maci, S. and G. B. Gentili, "Dual-frequency patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 6, December 1997.
4. Alu, A., F. Bilotti, N. Engheta, and L. Vegni, "Subwavelength, compact, resonant patch antennas loaded with metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, January 2007.
5. Bilotti, F., A. Alu, and L. Vegni, "Design of miniaturized metamaterial patch antennas with μ-negative loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1640-1647, June 2008.
6. Engheta , N., "An idea for thin sub-wavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 1, 10-13, 2002.
7. Zheng, K. S. , W. Y. Tam, and D. B. Ge, "Broadside subwavelength microstrip antennas partially loaded with metamaterials," 2008 International Workshop Metamaterials, November 2008.
8. CST Microwave Studio 9.0 CST of America [Online]., , Available: http://www.cst.com.
9. Xiong, J., H. Li, Y. Jin, and S. He, "Modified TM020 mode of a rectangular patch antenna partially loaded with metamaterial for dual-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 2009.
10. Xu, W. , L.-W. Li, H. Y. Yao, T. S. Yeo, and Q. Wu, "Left-handed material e®ects on waves modes and resonant frequencies: Filled waveguide structures and substrate-loaded patch antennas," Journal of Electromagnetice Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 15, 2033-2047, 2005.