This research presents the implementation of the Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method for the solution of 3-dimensional electromagnetic problems in dispersive media using Graphics Processor Units (GPUs). By using the newly introduced CUDA technology, we illustrate the efficacy of GPUs in accelerating the FDTD computations by achieving appreciable speedup factors with great ease and at no extra hardware/software cost. We validate our approach by comparing the results with their corresponding simulated results obtained from Remcom's XFDTD software.
2. NVIDIA CUDA compute unified device architecture programming guide, , 3.2, NVIDIA Corporation, Nov. 2010.
3. Balevic, A. , L. Rockstroh, A. Tausendfreund, S. Patzelt, G. Goch, and S. Simon, "Accelerating simulations of light scattering based on finite-difference time-domain method with general purpose GPUs," Proc. IEEE CSE'08, 11th IEEE Int. Conference on Computational Science and Engr., 16-18, S~ao Paulo, Brazil, July 2008.
4. Valcarce , A. , G. De La Roche, A. Juttner, D. Lopez-Perez, and J. Zhang, "Applying FDTD to the coverage prediction of WiMAX femtocells," Eurasip Journal of Wireless Communications and Networking. Special issue: Advances in Propagat. Modeling for Wireless Systems, Feb. 2009.
5. Sypek, P., A. Dziekonski, and M. Mrozowski, "How to render FDTD computations more effective using a graphics accelerator," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1324-1327, Mar. 2009.
6. Demir, V., "Performance analysis of CUDA implementation of FDTD on Tesla GPU using double precision arithmetic," 2010 USNC-URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Boulder, CO, Jan. 6-9, 2010.
7. Ong , C. Y., M. Weldon, S. Quiring, L. Maxwell, M. C. Hughes, C. Whelan, and M. Okoniewski, "Speed it up," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 2, Apr. 2010.
8. Roden, A. and S. D. Gedney, "Convolutional PML (CPML): An e±cient FDTD implementation of the CFS-PML for arbitrary media," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 27, 334-339, June 2000.
9. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, 2nd Ed., Artech House, 2000.
10. Giles, M., "Jacobi iteration for a Laplace discretization on a 3d structured grid," Technical Report, 2008.
11. Simicevic, N., "Three-dimensional FDTD simulation of biomaterial exposure to electromagnetic nanopulses," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 50, No. 21, 5041-5053, Nov. 2005.
12. Zunoubi, , M. R., J. Payne, and W. P. Roach, "CUDA implementation of TEz-FDTD solution of Maxwell's equations in dispersive media," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 756-759, Sept. 2010.