By means of a three-step linear optical transformation method, material parameters of a three-dimensional diamond-shaped electromagnetic concentrator composed of tetrahedral homogeneous blocks has been derived in this paper. The performance of the concentrator has been confirmed by full-wave simulation. The designed concentrator can operate in a wide bandwidth due to the line transformation. It represents an important progress towards the practical realization of the metamaterial-assisted concentrator.
1. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
2. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
3. Weder, R., "A rigorous analysis of high-order electromagnetic invisibility cloaks," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., Vol. 41, No. 6, 065207, 2008.
4. Weder, R., "The boundary conditions for point transformed electromagnetic invisibility cloaks," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., Vol. 41, No. 41, 415401, 2008.
5. Leonhardt, U. and T. Tyc, "Broadband invisibility by non-euclidean cloaking," Science, Vol. 323, No. 5910, 110-112, 2009. doi:10.1126/science.1166332
6. Liu, R., C. Ji, J. J. Mock, J. Y. Chin, T. J. Cui, and D. R. Smith, "Broadband ground-plane cloak," Science, Vol. 323, No. 5912, 366-369, 2009. doi:10.1126/science.1166949
7. Ma, H. F. and T. J. Cui, "Three-dimensional broadband ground-plane cloak made of metamaterials," Nature Communication, Vol. 1, 21, 2010.
8. Chen, H. Y., C. T. Chan, and P. Sheng, "Transformation optics and metamaterials," Nature Materials, Vol. 9, 387-396, 2010. doi:10.1038/nmat2743
9. Lai, Y., H. Y. Chen, Z. Q. Zhang, and C. T. Chan, "Complementary media invisibility cloak that cloaks objects at a distance outside the cloaking shell," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 9, 093901, 2009.
10. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09060705
11. Yang, C. F., M. Huang, J. Yang, Z. Xiao, and J. Peng, "An external cloak with arbitrary cross section based on complementary medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 10, 13-24, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09110514
12. Ma, H., S. B. Qu, Z. Xu, and J. F. Wang, "The open cloak," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, 103501, 2009.
13. Yang, J. J., M. Huang, C. F. Yang, and J. Yu, "Reciprocal invisibility cloak based on complementary media," Eur. Phys. J. D,, Vol. 61, No. 3, 731-736, 2011. doi:10.1140/epjd/e2010-10507-2
14. Wang, W., L. Lin, X. F. Yang, J. H. Cui, C. L. Du, and X. G. Luo, "Design of oblate cylindrical perfect lens using coordinate transformation," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 11, 8094-8105, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.008094
15. Chen, H. Y. and C. T. Chan, "Transformation media that rotate electromagnetic fields," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 24, 241105, 2007.
16. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations," Photon. Nanostruct. Fundam. Appl., Vol. 6, No. 1, 87-95, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2007.07.013
17. Lai, Y., J. Ng, H. Y. Chen, D. Z. Han, J. J. Xiao, Z. Q. Zhang, and C. T. Chan, "Illusion optics: The optical transformation of an object into another object," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, 253902, 2009.
18. Yang, C. F., J. J. Yang, M. Huang, J. H. Peng, and G. H. Cai, "Two-dimensional electromagnetic superscatterer with arbitrary geometries," Comput. Mater. Sci., Vol. 49, No. 4, 820-825, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.commatsci.2010.06.028
19. Rahm, M., S. A. Cummer, D. Schurig, J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Optical design of reflectionless complex media by finite embedded coordinate transformations," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, No. 6, 063903, 2008.
20. Jiang, W. X., J. Y. Chin, and T. J. Cui, "Anisotropic metamaterial devices," Materialstoday, Vol. 12, No. 12, 26-33, 2009.
21. Kwon, D. H. and D. H. Werner, "Transformation electromagnetics: An overview of the theory and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 1, 24-46, 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5466396
22. Jiang, W. X., T. J. Cui, Q. Cheng, J. Y. Chin, X. M. Yang, R. Liu, and D. R. Smith, "Design of arbitrarily shaped concentrators based on conformally optical transformation of nonuniform rational B-spline surfaces," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, 264101, 2008.
23. Yang, J. J., M. Huang, C. F. Yang, Z. Xiao, and J. H. Peng, "Metamaterial electromagnetic concentrators with arbitrary geometries," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 22, 19656-19661, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.019656
24. Yang, C. F., J. J. Yang, M. Huang, J. H. Peng, and W. W. Niu, "Electromagnetic concentrators with arbitrary geometries based on Laplace's equation," JOSA A, Vol. 27, No. 9, 1994-1998, 2010. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.27.001994
25. Li, W., J. G. Guan, and W. Wang, "Homogeneous-materials-constructed electromagnetic field concentrators with adjustable concentrating ratio," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 44, 125401, 2011.
26. Wang, X. H., S. B. Qu, X. Wu, J. F. Wang, Z. Xu, and H. Ma, "Broadband three-dimensional diamond-shaped invisible cloaks composed of tetrahedral homogeneous blocks," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, 305501, 2010.
27. Schurig, D., J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Calculation of material properties and ray tracing in transformation media," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 21, 9794-9804, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.009794