The plane-wave synthesis is brought to the CATR. The feed scans in the focal plane and antenna pattern is measured several times in different feed positions. The corrected antenna pattern is obtained by weighting the measured patterns. The weight is obtained by the least squares method for the electric fields in the aperture plane of the test antenna. The fashion, number and spacing of feed scanning are investigated. By the plane-wave synthesis in the CATR, a larger antenna can be tested, and higher test accuracy can be obtained than that of the CATR. Lower test number and less test time are needed than the conventional plane-wave synthesis. The technique proposed in this paper is numerically investigated in an offset single paraboloid CATR and verified experimentally in a Cassegrain CATR at 100 GHz.
2. Pereira, J. F. R. , et al., "New procedure for near-field measurements of microwave antennas without anechoic environments," IEE Proc., Vol. 131, No. 6, 351-358, Dec. 1984.
3. Johnson, R. C., H. A. Ecker, and R. A. Moore, "Compact range techniques and measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. , Vol. 17, No. 5, 568-576, Sept. 1969.
4. Martsafey, V. V., "Measurement of electrodynamic antenna parameters by the method of synthesized apertures," Radio Engineering and Electronic Physics, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1869-1873, 1968.
5. Bennett, J. C. and E. P. Schoessow, "Antenna near-field/far-field transformation using a plane-wave-synthesis technique," IEE Proc., Vol. 125, No. 3, 179-184, Mar. 1978.
6. Bennett, J. C. and N. E. Muntanga, "Antenna near-field/far-field transformation with reduced data acquisition and processing requirements," IEE Proc., Vol. 129, No. 5, 229-231, Oct. 1982.
7. Poulton, G. T., "An alternative plane wave synthesis method for fresnel-zone antenna measurements," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S, Digest, Vol. 1, 90-93, 1989.
8. Hill, D. A., "A near-field array of Yagi-Uda antennas for electromagnetic-susceptibility testing," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 28, 170-178, 1986.
9. Excell, P. S., "Compact electromagnetic test range using an array of log-periodic antennas," IEE Proceedings-H., Vol. 140, 101-106, 1993.
10. Haupt, R., "Generating a plane wave with a linear array of line sources," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 273-278, 2003.
11. Wang, H., J. Miao, and J. Jiang, "A near-field planar array of pyramidal horn antennas for plane-wave synthesis," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, 258-261, Nanjing, China, Sept. 2010.
12. Rudge, A. W., et al., The Handbook of Antenna Design, Chapter 8, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1982.
13. Philippakis, M. and C. G. Parini, "Compact antenna range performance evaluation using simulated pattern measurements," IEE Proc. | Microw. Antenna Propag., Vol. 143, No. 3, 200-206, Jun. 1996.
14. Ingerson, P. G., "Off-axis scan characteristics of offset fed parabolic reflectors," IEEE Symp. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 13, 382-386, 1975.
15. Ingerson, P. G. and W. C. Wong, "Focal region characteristics of offset fed reflectors," IEEE/AP-S Symposium Digest, 121-123, 1974.
16. Silver, S., Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, Chapter 5, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1949.
17. Parini, C. G. and M. Philippakis, "Use of quiet zone prediction in the design of compact antenna test ranges," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antenna Propag., Vol. 143, No. 3, 193-199, 1996.