We propose a method to recognize targets by using the signature of jet engine modulation (JEM) generated by the rotating blades in jet engines. The method combines time-frequency transform, 2-dimensional (2D) principal component analysis, and a nearest-neighbor classifier. In simulationsusing five propellers composed of isotropic point scatterers,the proposed method was insensitive to signal-to-noise SNR variation; this insensitivity wasa result of the effective 2D time-frequency feature and the noise suppression by the matchedfilter. In simulations using a reduced training database, the result was most sensitive to variation in the rotation velocity of the blades.
2. Tait, P., Introduction to Radar Target Recognition, IET, 2005.
3. Thayaparan, T., S. Abrol, E. Riseborough, L. Stankovic, D. Lamothe, and G. Duff, "Analysis of radar micro-Doppler signatures from experimental helicopter and human data," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 1, No. 4, 289-299, Aug. 2007.
4. Li, J. and H. Ling, "Application of adaptive chirplet representation for ISAR feature extraction from targets with rotating parts," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 150, No. 4, 284-291, Aug. 2003.
5. Stankovic, L., I. Djurovic, and T. Thayaparan, "Separation of target rigid body and micro-Doppler effects in ISAR imaging," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 42, No. 4, 1496-1506, Oct. 2006.
6. Zhang, Q., T. S. Yeo, H. S. Tan, and Y. Luo, "Imaging of a moving target with rotating parts based on the Hough transform," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 1, 291-299, Jan. 2008.
7. Ghaleb, A., L. Vignaud, and J. M. Nicolas, "Micro-Doppler analysis of wheels and pedestrians in ISAR imaging," IET Signal Process., Vol. 2, No. 3, 301-311, Sep. 2008.
8. Kim, Y. and H. Ling, "Human activity classification based on micro-Doppler signatures using a support vector machine," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 5, 1328-1336, May 2009.
9. Jung, J. H., U. Lee, S. H. Kim, and S. H. Park, "Micro-Doppler analysis of Korean offshore wind turbine on the L-band radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 87-104, 2010.
10. Jung, J. H., K. T. Kim, S. H. Kim, and S. H. Park, "Micro-Doppler extraction and analysis of the ballistic missile using RDA based on the real flight scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 37, 83-93, 2014.
11. Liu, L., D. Mclernon, M. Ghogho, W. Hu, and J. Huang, "Ballistic missile detection via micro-Doppler frequency estimation from radar return," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 22, 87-95, 2012.
12. Mahafza, B. R., Radar Systems Analysis and Design Using MATLAB, CRC Press LLC, 2000.
13. Qian, S., Time-freqency and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice Hall PTR, 2002.
14. Yang, J., D. Zhang, A. F. Frangi, and J.-Y. Yang, "Two-dimensional PCA: A new approach to appearance-based face representation and recognition," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 26, 131-137, Jan. 2004.
15. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.
16. Zyweck, A., "Preprocessing issues in high resolution radar target classification,", Ph.D. Thesis, University of Adelaide, Australia, 1995.
17. Han, S.-K., H.-T. Kim, S.-H. Park, and K.-T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using a combination of range profile and time-frequency analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 131-140, 2010.
18. Park, S.-H., M.-G. Joo, and K.-T. Kim, "Construction of ISAR training database for automatic target recognition," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1493-1503 , 2011.