Transformation optics is a convenient way to control the pattern of electromagnetic fields. In this paper, using a novel transformation, we propose the design procedure of a horn antenna having low backlobe and sidelobe levels in its E-plane. By applying conformal transformation, the rectangular horn proposed in this paper can be realized with isotropic materials. This proposed antenna can be easily implemented by both ordinary dielectric materials and isotropic graded refractive index (GRIN) materials. In the rst proposed design, in addition to the isotropy, homogeneity is furthermore introduced into the horn, and only four kinds of isotropic materials are required throughout. In the second design, it is demonstrated that the designed structure can also be implemented by graded photonic crystals (GPCs) operating in metamaterial regime. They have low loss as well as broad frequency band and are easy to implement. Simulation results are presented to validate the design approach.
2. Olver, A. D., Corrugated Horns for Microwave Antennas, IET, 1984.
3. Narasimhan, M. and V. Rao, "Radiation from wide-flare corrugated E-plane sectoral horns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, 603-608, 1974.
4. Zaghloul, A. I. and T. Anthony, "E-plane flared rectangular corrugated horn for tapered aperture," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
5. Peace, G. M. and E. Swartz, "Amplitude compensated horn antenna," Microwave J, Vol. 7, 66, 1964.
6. Ata, O., T. Benson, and A. Marincic, "Application of optical ray technique to the design of short microwave horn antennas with low side lobe levels," IEE Proceedings H (Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation), 81-88, 1990.
7. Lier, E., D. H. Werner, C. P. Scarborough, Q. Wu, and J. A. Bossard, "An octave-bandwidth negligible-loss radiofrequency metamaterial," Nature Materials, Vol. 10, 216-222, 2011.
8. Wu, Q., C. P. Scarborough, D. H. Werner, E. Lier, and X. Wang, "Design synthesis of metasurfaces for broadband hybrid-mode horn antennas with enhanced radiation pattern and polarization characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 3594-3604, 2012.
9. Aghanejad, I., H. Abiri, and A. Yahaghi, "Design of high-gain lens antenna by gradient-index metamaterials using transformation optics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 4074-4081, 2012.
10. Teixeira, F. and W. Chew, "Diffon of electromagnetic waves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 665-686, 1999.
11. Teixeira, F. L. and W. Chew, "Lattice electromagnetic theory from a topological viewpoint," Journal of Mathematical Physics, Vol. 40, 169-187, 1999.
12. Leonhardt, U. and T. G. Philbin, "Transformation optics and the geometry of light," Progress in Optics, Vol. 53, 69-152, 2009.
13. Leonhardt, U. and T. G. Philbin, "General relativity in electrical engineering," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 8, 247, 2006.
14. Milton, G. W., M. Briane, and J. R. Willis, "On cloaking for elasticity and physical equations with a transformation invariant form," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 8, 248, 2006.
15. Pendry, J. B., D. Schuring, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006.
16. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006.
17. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nature photonics, Vol. 1, 224-227, 2007.
18. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T.-J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2009.
19. Lai, Y., J. Ng, H. Chen, D. Han, J. Xiao, Z.-Q. Zhang, and C. Chan, "Illusion optics: The optical transformation of an object into another object," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 102, 253902, 2009.
20. Hu, J., X. Zhou, and G. Hu, "Design method for electromagnetic cloak with arbitrary shapes based on Laplace’s equation," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 1308-1320, 2009.
21. Chang, Z., X. Zhou, J. Hu, and G. Hu, "Design method for quasi-isotropic transformation materials based on inverse Laplaces equation with sliding boundaries," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 6089-6096, 2010.
22. Roberts, D., M. Rahm, J. Pendry, and D. Smith, "Transformation-optical design of sharp waveguide bends and corners," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 93, 251111, 2008.
23. Donderici, B. and F. L. Teixeira, "Metamaterial blueprints for reflectionless waveguide bends," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 233-235, 2008.
24. Schmiele, M., V. S. Varma, C. Rockstuhl, and F. Lederer, "Designing optical elements from isotropic materials by using transformation optics," Physical Review A, Vol. 81, 033837, 2010.
25. Zhang, K., F. Meng, Q. Wu, J.-H. Fu, and L.-W. Li, "Waveguide connector constructed by normal layered dielectric materials based on embedded optical transformation," EPL (Europhysics Letters), Vol. 99, 47008, 2012.
26. Mola, M. and A. Yahaghi, "Design of a broadband right-angled bend using transformation optics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 183-193, 2015.
27. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwells equations," Photonics and Nanostructures-fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 6, 87-95, 2008.
28. Jiang, W. X., T. J. Cui, Q. Cheng, J. Y. Chin, X. M. Yang, R. Liu, and D. R. Smith, "Design of arbitrarily shaped concentrators based on conformally optical transformation of nonuniform rational B-spline surfaces," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 92, 264101, 2008.
29. Zhang, K., Q. Wu, J.-H. Fu, and L.-W. Li, "Cylindrical electromagnetic concentrator with only axial constitutive parameter spatially variant," JOSA B, Vol. 28, 1573-1577, 2011.
30. Jiang, W. X., T. J. Cui, H. F. Ma, X. Y. Zhou, and Q. Cheng, "Cylindrical-to-plane-wave conversion via embedded optical transformation," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 92, 261903, 2008.
31. Kong, F., B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, J. Huangfu, S. Xi, and H. Chen, "Planar focusing antenna design by using coordinate transformation technology," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, 253509, 2007.
32. Zhang, J., Y. Luo, H. Chen, and B.-I. Wu, "Manipulating the directivity of antennas with metamaterial," Optics express, Vol. 16, 10962-10967, 2008.
33. Jiang, W. X., T. J. Cui, H. F. Ma, X. M. Yang, and Q. Cheng, "Layered high-gain lens antennas via discrete optical transformation," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 93, 221906, 2008.
34. Tichit, P.-H., S. N. Burokur, and A. de Lustrac, "Ultradirective antenna via transformation optics," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, 104912, 2009.
35. Luo, Y., J. Zhang, H. Chen, J. Huangfu, and L. Ran, "High-directivity antenna with small antenna aperture ," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 95, 193506, 2009.
36. Ma, H. F. and T. J. Cui, "Three-dimensional broadband and broad-angle transformation-optics lens," Nature Communications, Vol. 1, 124, 2010.
37. Liu, R., C. Ji, J. Mock, J. Chin, T. Cui, and D. Smith, "Broadband ground-plane cloak," Science, Vol. 323, 366-369, 2009.
38. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
39. Klein, M., C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, "Single-slit split-ring resonators at optical frequencies: Limits of size scaling," Optics Letters, Vol. 31, 1259-1261, 2006.
40. Shalaev, V. M., "Optical negative-index metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 41-48, 2007.
41. Li, J. and J. Pendry, "Hiding under the carpet: A new strategy for cloaking," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 101, 203901, 2008.
42. Landy, N. I. and W. J. Padilla, "Guiding light with conformal transformations," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 14872-14879, 2009.
43. Ma, Y., N. Wang, and C. Ong, "Application of inverse, strict conformal transformation to design waveguide devices," JOSA A, Vol. 27, 968-972, 2010.
44. Henrici, P., Applied and Computational Complex Analysis, Discrete Fourier Analysis, Cauchy Integrals, Construction of Conformal Maps, Univalent Functions, Vol. 3, John Wiley and Sons, 1993.
45. Landy, N., Y. Urzhumov, and D. R. Smith, "Quasi-conformal approaches for two and three-dimensional transformation optical media," Transformation Electromagnetics and Metamaterials, 1-32, Springer, 2014.
46. Vasic, B., G. Isic, R. Gajic, and K. Hingerl, "Controlling electromagnetic fields with grade photonic crystals in metamaterial regime," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 20321-20333, 2010.