In this paper, we present an efficient meshing scheme for physical optics calculation of electromagnetic scattering from bodies of revolution. Piecewise linear approximation is used to represent the generatrix and circular perimeter of the body's cross section. This results in quadrilateral meshes and enables the application of multilevel search algorithms for efficient determination of the illuminated portion of the surface. Besides, the physical optics surface integral is reduced to a closed form expression using the Gordon's method. Simulation results conrm the proper accuracy and efficiency of the presented algorithm.
2. Uluisik, C., G. Cakir, M. Cakir, and L. Sevgi, "Radar cross section (RCS) modeling and simulation, Part 1: A tutorial review of definitions, strategies, and canonical examples," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1, 115-126, Feb. 2008.
3. Fan, T., L. Guo, B. Lv, and W. Liu, "An improved backward SBR-PO/PTD hybrid method for the backward scattering prediction of an electrically large target," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 512-515, 2015.
4. Hemon, R., P. Pouliguen, H. He, J. Saillard, and J.-F. Damiens, "Computation of EM field scattered by an open-ended cavity and by a cavity under radome using the iterative physical optics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 77-105, 2008.
5. Della Giovampaola, C., G. Carluccio, F. Puggelli, A. Toccafondi, and M. Albani, "Efficient algorithm for the evaluation of the physical optics scattering by NURBS surfaces with relatively general boundary condition," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4194-4203, Aug. 2013.
6. Zhao, Y., X.-W. Shi, and L. Xu, "Modeling with NURBS surfaces used for the calculation of RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 49-59, 2008.
7. Youssef, N., "Radar cross section of complex targets," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 77, No. 5, 722-734, May 1989.
8. Weinmann, F., "Ray tracing with PO/PTD for RCS modeling of large complex objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1797-1806, Jun. 2006.
9. Domingo, M., F. Rivas, J. Perez, R. Torres, and M. F. Catedra, "Computation of the RCS of complex bodies modeled using NURBS surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 6, 36-47, Dec. 1995.
10. Gordon, W., "Far-field approximations to the Kirchoff-Helmholtz representations of scattered fields," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 4, 590-592, Jul. 1975.
11. Havel, J. and A. Herout, "Yet faster ray-triangle intersection (using SSE4)," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol. 16, No. 3, 434-438, May 2010.
12. Woop, S., C. Benthin, and I. Wald, "Watertight ray/triangle intersection," Journal of Computer Graphics Techniques, Vol. 2, No. 1, 65-82, 2013.
13. Tao, Y.-B., H. Lin, and H.-J. Bao, "Kd-tree based fast ray tracing for RCS prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 329-341, 2008.
14. Jin, K.-S., T.-I. Suh, S.-H. Suk, B.-C. Kim, and H. T. Kim, "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006.
15. Bang, J.-K., B.-C. Kim, S.-H. Suk, K.-S. Jin, and H.-T. Kim, "Time consumption reduction of ray tracing for RCS prediction using efficient grid division and space division algorithms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 829-840, 2007.
16. Glassner, S., An Introduction to Ray Tracing, Academic Press, 1989.
17. Knoll, A., Y. Hijazi, A. Kensler, M. Schott, C. Hansen, and H. Hagen, "Fast ray tracing of arbitrary implicit surfaces with interval and affine arithmetic," Journal of Computer Graphics Forum, Vol. 28, No. 1, 26-40, 2009.
18. Saad, Y., Numerical Methods for Large Eigenvalue Problems, 2nd Ed., SIAM, Philadelphia, 2011.
19. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, MA, 1993.
20. Griesser, T. and C. Balanis, "Backscatter analysis of dihedral corner reflectors using physical optics and the physical theory of diffraction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1137-1147, Oct. 1987.
21. Weinmann, F., "Curvature interpolation of facetted surfaces for high-frequency RCS simulations," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2008.
22. Huang, W. F., Z. Zhao, R. Zhao, J. Y.Wang, Z. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "GO/PO and PTD with virtual divergence factor for fast analysis of scattering from concave complex targets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 2170-2179, May 2015.
23. Michaeli, A., "Equivalent edge currents for arbitrary aspects of observation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 3, 252-258, Mar. 1984.
24. Woo, A., H. Wang, M. Schuh, and M. Sanders, "EM programmer’s notebook-benchmark radar targets for the validation of computational electromagnetics programs," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 35, No. 1, 84-89, Feb. 1993.
25. [Online], Available: https://www.feko.info/.
26. Shampine, L., "Vectorized adaptive quadrature in MATLAB," Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 211, No. 11, 131-140, Feb. 2008.
27. Persson, P.-O. and G. Strang, "A simple mesh generator in MATLAB," SIAM Review, Vol. 46, No. 2, 329-345, Jun. 2004.