In this paper a novel evolutionary algorithm is used for the optimization of the performance of a magnetorheological (MR) device, capable to transmit torque between two shafts and powered by a system of Permanent Magnets (PMs). The stochastic, evolutionary, global optimization algorithm is based on a modified version of the self-organizing map. It uses a dedicated simplied analytical model of the device, developed in order to obtain a fast and accurate evaluation of the torque. Then, by means this model, the cost function to find the optimal parameters of the device is defined. Once the optimal parameters are identified, the performance of the proposed device is simulated by means of a FEM software. The results in terms of magnetic flux density inside the fluid, the transmissible torque and the actuation torque necessary to perform the device activation are discussed. Finally, a preliminary experimental validation of the proposed device is performed.
2. Carlson, J. D., "The promise of controllable fluids," Proc. of Actuator 94 (H. Borgmann and K. Lenz, Eds.), AXON Technologies Consult GmbH, 266-270, 1994.
3. Kordonsky, W. I., "Elements and devices based on magnetorheological effect," J. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct., Vol. 4, No. 1, 65-69, 1993.
4. Shorey, A. and M. DeMarco, "Application of magneto-rheological finishing (MRF) to the figuring of adaptive optics systems," Adaptive Optics: Methods, Analysis and Applications, Charlotte, North Carolina, June 6, 2005.
5. Lee, S. O., K. I. Jang, B. K. Min, S. J. Lee, and J. W. Seok, "A study on tribological properties of magneto-rheological fluid (MRF) in polishing process," Proceedings of the KSPE Spring Conference, Vol. 40, 20-33, 2006.
6. Rossa, C., J. Lozada, and A. Micaelli, "Interaction Power Flow Based Control of a 1-DOF Hybrid Haptic Interface," Proceedings of International Conference, EuroHaptics 2012, Tampere, Finland, June 13-15, 2012.
7. Bicchi, A., M. Raugi, R. Rizzo, and N. Sgambelluri, "Analysis and design of an electromagnetic system for the characterization of magneto-rheological fluids for haptic interfaces," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 41, No. 5, 1876-1879, May 2005.
8. Scilingo, E. P., R. Rizzo, N. Sgambelluri, M. Raugi, and A. Bicchi, "Electromagnetic modeling and design of haptic interface prototypes based on magnetorheological fluids," IEEE Trans on Mag., Vol. 43, No. 9, September 2007.
9. Rizzo, R., "A permanent magnets exciter for MRF-based haptic interfaces," IEEE Trans on Mag., Vol. 49, No. 4, 1390-1401, April 2013.
10. Raugi, M., N. Sgambelluri, E. P. Scilingo, A. Bicchi, and R. Rizzo, "Advanced modelling and preliminary psychophysical experiments for a free-hand haptic device," Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1558-1563, 2006.
11. Sgambelluri, N., M. Raugi, R. Rizzo, E.P. Scilingo, and A. Bicchi, "Free hand haptic interfaces based on magnetorheological fluids," Proceedings of the 14th Symposium on Haptics Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, Vol. 1, 367-371, 2006.
12. Rossa, C., J. Lozada, and A. Micaelli, "A new hybrid actuator approach for force-feedback devices," IEEE/RSJ Inter. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 4054-4059, Vilamoura, 2012.
13. Rabinow, J., "The magnetic fluid clutch," Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 67, No. 2, 1308-1315, 1948.
14. Wu, J., X. Jiang, J. Yao, H. Li, and Z. Li, "Design and modeling of a multi-pole and dual-gap magnetorheological brake with individual currents," Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 8, 115, 2016.
15. Forte, P., R. Rizzo, A. Musolino, F. Bucchi, and F. Frendo, "A multi-gap magnetorheological clutch with permanent magnet," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1-9, 2015.
16. Shiao, Y. and Q. Nguyen, "Development of a multi-pole magnetorheological brake," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1-13, 2013.
17. Bucchi, F., P. Forte, F. Frendo, A. Musolino, and R. Rizzo, "A fail-safe magnetorheological clutch excited by permanent magnets for the disengagement of automotive auxiliaries," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2102-2114, 2014.
18. Yildirim, G. and S. Genc, "Experimental study on heat transfer of the magnetorheological fluids," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22, No. 8, 1-8, 2013.
19. Frendo, F., R. Rizzo, A. Musolino, F. Bucchi, and P. Forte, "Magnetic FEM design and experimental validation of an innovative fail-safe magnetorheological clutch excited by permanent magnets," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 29, No. 3, 628-640, September 2014.
20. Guo, H. T. and W. H. Liao, "A novel multifunctional rotary actuator with magnetorheological fluid," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 21, No. 6, 1-9, 2012.
21. Johnston, G. L., W. C. Kruckemeyer, and R. E. Longhouse, "Passive Magnetorheological clutch,", US Patent, 5848678, 1998.
22. Saito, T. and H. Ikeda, "Development of normally closed type of magnetorheological clutch and its application to safe torque control system of human-collaborative robot," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 18, No. 12, 1181-1185, December 2007.
23. Oh, H.-U., "Characteristics of a magnetorheological fluid isolator obtained by permanent magnet arrangement," IOP-Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 13, 2004.
24. Wiehe, A. and J. Maas, "Magnetorheological actuators with currentless bias torque for automotive applications," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 21, 1575-1585, 2010.
25. Yang, B., T. Chen, G. Meng, Z. Feng, J. Jiang, S. Zhang, and Q. Zhou, "Design of a safety escape device based on magnetorheological fluid and permanent magnet," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 24, 49-60, 2013.
26. Lai, H. C., R. Rizzo, and A. Musolino, "An electrodynamic/magnetorheological clutch powered by permanent magnets," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 2, 1-7, February 2017.
27. Tripodi, E., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Stabilization of a permanent-magnet system via null-flux coils," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1242-1247, May 2015.
28. Rizzo, R., "An innovative multi-gap clutch based on magneto-rheological fluids and electrodynamic effects: Magnetic design and experimental characterization," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 26, 1-11, 2017.
29. L. C. Ltd., www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/magneto-rheological-(mr)/mrproducts.xml.
30. Nguyen, Q. H., S. B. Choi, and N. M. Wereley, "Optimal design magnetorheological valves via a finite element method considering control energy and a time constant," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 17, 25024, 2008.
31. Cardelli, E., "A general hysteresis operator for the modeling of vector fields," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 8, 20562067, 2011.
32. Cardelli, A. F. E. and E. Della Torre, "A general vector hysteresis operator: Extension to the 3-d case," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, 3990-4000, December 2010.
33. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, and E. Tripodi, "Tubular linear induction machine as a fast actuator: Analysis and design criteria," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 603-619, 2012.
34. Aloini, D., E. Crisostomi, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Optimal power scheduling in a virtual power plant," IEEE PES International Conference and Exhibition, ISGT, 1-7, 2011.
35. Tripodi, E., A. Musolino, and R. Rizzo, "The double-sided tubular linear induction motor and its possible use in the electromagnetic aircraft launch system," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1193-1200, May 2013.
36. Raugi, M., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and E. Tripodi, "Modeling of the gyroscopic stabilization in a traveling-wave multipole field electromagnetic launcher via an analytical approach," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1236-1241, May 2015.
37. Derbas, H. W., J. M. Williams, A. C. Koenig, and S. D. Pekarek, "A comparison of nodal- and mesh-based magnetic equivalent circuit models," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 24, No. 2, 388-396, June 2009.
38. Tripodi, E., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and M. Raugi, "A new predictor-corrector approach for the numerical integration of coupled electromechanical equations," Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., Vol. 105, No. 4, 261-285, 2016.
39., EFFE v2.00 User Manual, Bathwick Electrical Design Ltd., 2009.
40. Barmada, S., M. Raugi, and M. Tucci, "A multi-objective optimization algorithm based on self-organizing maps applied to wireless power transfer systems," Int. J. Numer. Mod.: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 30, No. 3-4, 1-17, 2017.
41. Bartalesi, E., F. Bucchi, and R. Squarcini, "Vacuum actuation for axial movement of a magnet in a magnetorheological clutch," EPO Patent Pending, 2014.