The proposed microstrip antenna is based on fractal techniques and designed for wireless applications. The radiating element is an A-shaped triangle on which fractal concept is applied. Fractal concept is applied on the proposed A-Shaped Fractal Microstrip Antenna (ASFM-Antenna), similar to English alphabet letter A. Further the analysis and verification of result is achieved by testing the fabricated antenna and also comparison of simulated and experimental results. Von Koch's snowflake concept is used in which a single line is divided into four new lines, and it is done at each side of the triangle. This step is repeated. In this paper, a two-iteration Koch generator is used, thus the proposed antenna is designed. Simulations are carried out using commercially available HFSS (High Frequency Structure Simulator) based on finite element method. The antenna is simulated and fabricated, and results are recorded. It is found that simulated and experimental results are in close agreement with each other. The antenna resonates at 11.44 GHz, 13.178 GHz, 15.482 GHz, 19.902 GHz and 23.529 GHz. Hence, X-band [8.2-12.4 GHz], Ku-band [12.4-18 GHz] and K-band [18-26.5 GHz] are the frequencies of operating bands under consideration.
2. Cohen, N., "Fractal antenna application in wireless telecommunication," Proceeding of Electronics Industries Forum of New England, 43-49, 1997.
3. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "A Koch-like sided fractal bow-tie dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2242-2251, May 2012.
4. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, Nov. 2000.
5. Werner, D. H., P. L. Werner, and A. J. Ferraro, "Frequency independent features of self-similar fractal antennas," Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., AP-S. Dig., Vol. 3, 2050-2053, Jul. 1996.
6. Gianvittorrio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, 20-36, 2002.
7. Viani, F., M. Salucci, F. Robol, and A. Massa, "Multiband fractal ZigBee/WLAN antenna for ubiquitous wireless environments," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1554-1562, Aug. 2012.
8. Puente, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 4, 517-524, Apr. 1998.
9. Silva, H. A. M., A. G. D’Assunção, and J. P. Silva, "Design of modified pythagorean fractal antenna for multiband application," 2017 International Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Symposium - Italy (ACES), 1-2, Florence, 2017.
10. Kumar, A., B. R. Dutta, and S. Budhauliya, "Iterated Pythagorean fractal tree multiband antenna," Int. Journal Scientific Res. Pub., Vol. 3, No. 9, 1-3, 2013.
11. Kumar, D., A. Kumar, and A. K. Singh, "Design analysis of Pythagoras tree shaped multiband fractal antenna," Int. Conf. Comput. Intelligence Commun. Networks (CICN), 41-45, Bhopal, 2014.
12. Yu, Z., J. Yu, X. Ran, and C. Zhu, "A novel Koch and Sierpinski combined fractal antenna for 2G/3G/4G/5G/WLAN/navigation applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, 2147-2155, 2017.
13. Eskandari, Z., J. Ahmadi-Shokoh, A. Keshtkar, and L. Ghanbari, "A novel fractal for improving efficiency and its application in LTE mobile antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 10, Oct. 2015.
14. Minervino, D. R., A. G. D’Assuncao, and C. Peixeiro, "Mandelbrot fractal microstrip antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, Jan. 2016.
15. Oliveira, E. E. C., P. H. F. Silva, A. L. P. S. Campos, and A. G. D’Assuncao, "Small-size quasi-fractal patch antenna using the Minkowski curve," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 805-809, 2010.
16. Silva, M. R., C. L. N. obrega, P. H. F. Silva, and A. G. D’Assuncao, "Optimal design of frequency selective surfaces with fractal motifs," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, 627-631, 2014.
17. Ansari, J. A., N. P. Yadav, P. Singh, and A. Mishra, "Compact half U-slot loaded shorted rectangular patch antenna for broadband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 215-226, 2009.
18. Ansari, J. A., A. Mishra, N. P. Yadav, P. Singh, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Compact triple U-shaped slot loaded circular disk patch antenna for bluetooth andWLAN application," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 6, No. 2, Mar. 2011.
19. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. I, Feb. 2003.
20. Peitgen, H. O., H. Jurgens, and D. Saupe, Chaos and Fractals New Frontiers of Science, Springer-Verlag, Inc., New York, 1992.
21. Wong, K.-L. and S.-C. Pan, "Compact triangular microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 6, 433-434, Mar. 13, 1997.
22. Vishwakarma, R. K., J. A. Ansari, and M. K. Meshram, "Equilateral triangular microstrip antenna for circular polarization dual-band operation," Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 35, 293-296, Aug. 2006.