A one-shot rescaling process, namely Automated Scaling Region of Interest (AS-ROI), is combined with an inversion technique of Forward-Backward Time-Stepping (FBTS). The purpose is to alleviate the ill-posedness and nonlinearity of inverse problem by reducing the size of the unknown problem. The inversion solution is carried out to reconstruct tumour as an unknown object in coarse investigation domain of lung area which is then rescaled down corresponding to object location and size. In this paper, edge preserving methods consisting of edge preserving regularization and anisotropic diffusion are imposed alternately on the solution and reconstructed profiles to improve the current method of AS-ROI. Results on the reconstructed lungs and tumours give significant insight of the proposed work. Accuracy level for the reconstructed profiles are significantly improved in spite that spatial resolution is retained as the original setting of FBTS.
2. Chen, X., K. Xu, F. Shen, L. Ran, and Y. Zhong, "Subspace-based optimization method coupled with multiplicative regularization for edge-preserving inversion," Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2015 IEEE International Symposium, 898-899, 2015.
3. Zhong, Y., M. Lambert, D. Lesselier, and X. Chen, "A new integral equation method to solve highly nonlinear inverse scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1788-1799, 2016.
4. Garcia-Fernandez, M., C. Garcia, Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "Influence of contour smoothness and electric size on the profile reconstruction of metallic objects using hybrid optimization," EUROCON 2015-International Conference on Computer as a Tool (EUROCON), IEEE, 1-6, 2015.
5. Moriyama, T., M. Salucci, T. Tanaka, and T. Takenaka, "Image reconstruction from total electric field data with no information on incident field," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 9, 1162-1170, 2016.
6. Rekanos, I. T., "Shape reconstruction of a perfectly conducting scatterer using differential evolution and particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 7, 1967-1974, 2008.
7. Scapaticci, R., O. M. Bucci, I. Catapano, and L. Crocco, "Differential microwave imaging for brain stroke followup," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 2014.
8. Gantala, G., C. V. Krishnamurthy, and K. Balasubramaniam, "Location and sizing of defects in coated metallic pipes using limited view scattered data in frequency domain," Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 35, No. 2, 1-13, 2016.
9. Zamani, A., S. A. Rezaeieh, and A. M. Abbosh, "Lung cancer detection using frequency-domain microwave imaging," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 10, 740-741, 2015.
10. Hidayetoğlu, M., C.Yang, L. Wang, A. Podkowa, M. Oelze, W. M. Hwu, and W. C. Chew, "Parallel solutions of inverse multiple scattering problems with born-type fast solvers," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 916-920, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016.
11. Bao, G., P. Li, J. Lin, and F. Triki, "Inverse scattering problems with multi-frequencies," Inverse Problems, Vol. 31, No. 9, 93001, 2015.
12. Poli, L., G. Oliveri, P. P. Ding, T. Moriyama, and A. Massa, "Multifrequency bayesian compressive sensing methods for microwave imaging," JOSA A, Vol. 31, No. 11, 2415-2428, 2014.
13. Salucci, M., L. Tenuti, C. Nardin, M. Carlin, F. Viani, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "GPR survey through a multi-resolution deterministic approach," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Vol. 2014, 882-883, IEEE, 2014.
14. Salucci, M., L. Poli, N. Anselmi, and A. Massa, "Multifrequency particle swarm optimization for enhanced multiresolution GPR microwave imaging," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 55, No. 3, 1305-1317, 2016.
15. Moriyama, T., G. Oliveri, A. Massa, and T. Takenaka, "Iterative multiscaling strategy incorporated into time domain inverse scattering method for cross-borehole imaging," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2011 IEEE International, No. 1, 846-849, 2011.
16. Moriyama, T., M. Salucci, G. Oliveri, L. Tenuti, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Multi-scaling deterministic imaging for GPR survey," Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), 2014 IEEE Conference, 1-3, 2014.
17. Rocca, P., M. Benedetti, M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "Evolutionary optimization as applied to inverse scattering problems," Inverse Problems, Vol. 25, No. 12, 123003, 2009.
18. Juliana, N., S. Shafrida, and K. A. H. Ping, "Automated scaling region of interest (ASROI) in inverse scattering method for tomographic image reconstruction," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium - Fall (PIERS - FALL), 1648-1653, Singapore, Nov. 19–22, 2017.
19. Guang, Y., K. A. H. Ping, A. S. C. Chie, N. S. Wei, and M. Thelaha, "Preliminary study of forward-backward time-stepping technique with edge-preserving regularization for object detection applications," BioSignal Analysis, Processing and Systems (ICBAPS), 2015 International Conference, 77-81, 2015.
20. Yong, G., K. A. H. Ping, S. Shafrida, M. Mohamad Hamiruce, S. Mohd Iqbal, T. Moriyama, and T. Takenaka, "Profile reconstruction utilizing forward-backward time-stepping with the integration of automated edge-preserving regularization technique for object detection applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 54, 125-135, 2017.
21. Juliana, N., S. Shafrida, K. A. H. Ping, A. M. Dayang Azra, and A. Z. Dyg Norkhairunnisa, "Iterative refinement in inverse scattering technique with median filter," Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), 2016 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference, 62-67, 2016.
22. Ping, K. A. H., T. Moriyama, T. Takenaka, and T. Tanaka, "Two-dimensional forward-backward time-stepping approach for tumor detection in dispersive breast tissues," Microwave Symposium (MMS), 2009 Mediterranean, 2009.
23. Takenaka, T., T. Moriyama, K. A. H. Ping, and T. Yamasaki, "Microwave breast imaging by the filtered forward-backward time-stepping method," Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS), 2010 URSI International Symposium, 946-949, 2010.
24. Johnson, J. E., T. Takenaka, K. A. H. Ping, S. Honda, and T. Tanaka, "Advances in the 3-D forward-backward time-stepping (FBTS) inverse scattering technique for breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2232-2243, 2009.
25. Elizabeth, M. A. P., K. A. H. Ping, N. S. Wei, W. Z. A. Wan Azlan, M. Thelaha, O. Al-Khalid, T. Moriyama, and T. Takenaka, "2-D reconstruction of breast image using forward-backward time-stepping method for breast tumour detection," Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), 2012 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference, 70-73, 2012.
26. Elizabeth, M. A. P., K. A. H. Ping, R. Nordiana, and T. Moriyama, "Chebyshev filter applied to an inversion technique for breast tumour detection," International Journal of Research in Engineering & Technology, Vol. 4, No. 6, 210-218, 2015.
27. Chie, A. S. C., Y. Guang, K. A. H. Ping, N. S. Wei, and R. Nordiana, "Preliminary results of integrating Tikhonov’s regularization in forward-backward time-stepping technique for object detection," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 833, 170-175, 2016.
28. Hebert, T. and R. Leahy, "A generalized EM algorithm for 3-D bayesian reconstruction from poisson data using gibbs priors," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 8, No. 2, 194-202, 1989.
29. Fada, G., T. Phuc, G. Shuaiping, and Z. Lina, "Anisotropic diffusion filtering for ultrasound speckle reduction," Science China Technological Sciences, Vol. 57, No. 3, 607-614, 2014.
30. Mithun Kumar, P. K., M. G. Arefin, M. Motiur Rahman, and A. S. M. Delowar Hossain, "Automatically gradient threshold estimation of anisotropic diffusion for Meyer’s watershed algorithm based optimal segmentation," International Journal of Image, Graphics and Signal Processing, Vol. 6, No. 12, 26-31, 2014.
31. Grove, O., A. E. Berglund, M. B. Schabath, H. J. Aerts, A. Dekker, H. Wang, and R. J. Gillies, "Quantitative computed tomographic descriptors associate tumor shape complexity and intratumor heterogeneity with prognosis in lung adenocarcinoma," PloS one, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2015.
32. Anderson, V. and J. Rowley, "Tissue dielectric properties calculator," Clayton, Victoria, Australia: Telstra Research Laboratories, 1998.
33. Holman, B. F., V. Cuplov, L. Millner, B. F. Hutton, T. M. Maher, A. M. Groves, and K. Thielemans, "Improved correction for the tissue fraction effect in lung PET/CT imaging," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 60, No. 18, 7387-7402, 2015.
34. Hartsgrove, G., A. Kraszewski, and A. Surowiec, "Simulated biological materials for electromagnetic radiation absorption studies," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 8, No. 1, 29-36, 1987.
35. Babarinde, O. J., M. F. Jamlos, P. J. Soh, D. M. M. P. Schreurs, and A. Beyer, "Microwave imaging technique for lung tumour detection," Microwave Conference (GeMiC), 2016 German, 100-103, 2016.
36. Wang, J. R., B. Y. Sun, H. X. Wang, S. Pang, X. Xu, and Q. Sun, "Experimental study of dielectric properties of human lung tissue in vitro," Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol. 34, No. 6, 598-604, 2014.
37. Charbonnier, P., L. Blanc-Féaud, G. Aubert, and M. Barlaud, "Deterministic edge-preserving regularization in computed imaging," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 6, No. 2, 298-311, 1997.