A microwave diplexer implemented by using the twenty-first century substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) transmission line technology is presented. No separate junction (be it resonant or non-resonant) was used in achieving the diplexer, as the use of an external junction for energy distribution in a diplexer normally increases design complexity and leads to a bulky device. The design also featured a novel input/output coupling technique at the transmit and receive sides of the diplexer. The proposed SIW diplexer has been simulated using the full-wave finite element method (FEM), Keysight electromagnetic professional (EMPro) 3D simulator. The design has also been validated experimentally and results presented. Simulated and measured results show good agreement. The measured minimum insertion losses achieved on transmit and receive channels of the diplexer are 2.86 dB and 2.91 dB, respectively. The measured band isolation between the two channels is better than 50 dB.
2. Deng, H. W., Y. J. Zhao, F. Fu, X. J. Zhou, and Y. Y. Liu, "Compact and high isolation microstrip diplexer for GPS and UWB application," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 10, 659-661, May 2013.
3. Xiao, J.-K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, L. Tian, and J.-G. Ma, "High selective microstrip bandpass filter and diplexer with mixed electromagnetic coupling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 12, 781-783, December 2015.
4. Liu, H., W. Xu, Z. Zhang, and X. Guan, "Compact diplexer using slotline stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 2, 75-77, February 2013.
5. Xu, W.-Q., M.-H. Ho, and C. G. Hsu, "UMTS diplexer design using dual-mode stripline ring resonators," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 13, 721-722, June 2007.
6. Lai, C.-H., G.-T. Zhou, and T.-G. Ma, "On-chip miniaturized diplexer using jointed dual-mode right-/left-handed synthesized coplanar waveguides on GIPD process," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 4, 245-247, April 2014.
7. Nwajana, A. O. and K. S. K. Yeo, "Multi-coupled resonator microwave diplexer with high isolation," Proceedings of the 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC 2016), 1167-1170, London, UK, October 2016.
8. Palma, L. D., F. Bilotti, A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Design of a waveguide diplexer based on connected bi-omega particles," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 3, 126-128, March 2012.
9. Skaik, T. F., M. J. Lancaster, and F. Huang, "Synthesis of multiple output coupled resonator circuits using coupling matrix optimization," IET Journal of Microwaves, Antenna & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 9, 1081-1088, June 2011.
10. Schorer, J., J. Bomemann, and U. Rosenberg, "Mode-matching design of substrate mounted waveguide (SMW) components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 8, 2401-2408, August 2016.
11. Packiaraj, D., M. Ramesh, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Cavity diplexer using tapped line interdigital filters," Proceedings of the 2005 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC 2005), 1-3, Suzhou, China, December 2005.
12. Adabi, A. and M. Tayarani, "Substrate integration of dual inductive post waveguide filter," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 7, 321-329, 2008.
13. Chen, X.-P. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide filter: Basic design rules and fundamental structure features," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 5, 108-116, July 2014.
14. Cheng, Y. J., Substrate Integrated Antennas and Arrays, CRC Press, New York, 2015.
15. Han, S.-H., X. L. Wang, Y. Fan, Z. Q. Yang, and Z. N. He, "The generalized Chebyshev substrate integrated waveguide diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 73, 29-38, 2007.
16. Nwajana, A. O., K. S. K. Yeo, and A. Dainkeh, "Low cost SIW Chebyshev bandpass filter with new input/output connection," Proceedings of the 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS 2016), 1-4, Abu Dhabi, UAE, November 2016.
17. Chen, X., W. Hong, T. Cui, J. Chen, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) linear phase filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 787-789, November 2005.
18. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modelling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, June 2006.
19. Nwajana, A. O. and K. S. K. Yeo, "Microwave diplexer purely based on direct synchronous and asynchronous coupling," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, No. 2, 247-252, June 2016.
20. Yeo, K. S. K. and A. O. Nwajana, "A novel microstrip dual-band bandpass filter using dual-mode square patch resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 36, 233-247, January 2013.
21. Nwajana, A. O., A. Dainkeh, and K. S. K. Yeo, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with novel microstrip-CPW-SIW input coupling," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 393-402, June 2017.
22. Hong, J.-S., Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2011.
23. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated transition of coplanar to rectangular waveguides," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 619-622, Phoenix, AZ, USA, May 2001.
24. Dainkeh, A., A. O. Nwajana, and K. S. K. Yeo, "Filtered power splitter using microstrip square open loop resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 64, 133-140, May 2016.