In this paper, a compact triple-band bandpass filter using metamaterial (MTM) inspired structure with controllable transmission zero (TZ) position has been proposed. The gap between feed lines develops electrical coupling and provides series capacitance. An open loop rectangular ring resonator with meander line and rectangular stub develops electric and magnetic couplings separately. Defected ground structure (DGS) provides proper impedance matching and increases the passband. In order to validate metamaterial (MTM) behaviour of designed filter dispersion diagram has been plotted. The position of transmission zero can be controlled by electric and magnetic coupling. The measured operating frequency ranges of three passbands are 1.85-2.15 GHz, 3.55-3.73 GHz and 3.85-4.0 GHz with the 3 dB fractional bandwidth of 15.63, 4.94 and 3.82 percent, respectively. It has minimum insertion loss of 0.7 dB, 0.5 dB and 0.5 dB at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd passbands, respectively. The electrical size of the proposed filter is 0.16λg×0.15λg, where λg is the guided wavelength at zeroth order resonance (ZOR) frequency of 1.92 GHz.
Dilip Kumar Choudhary,
Raghvendra Kumar Chaudhary,
"Compact Triple-Band Metamaterial Inspired Bandpass Filter with Controllable Transmission Zero Position," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 73, 111-118, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18070905
1. Xu, J., W. Wu, and G. Wei, "Compact multi-band bandpass lters with mixed electric and magnetic coupling using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, 3909-3919, 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2488643
2. Kumar, N. and Y. K. Singh, "Compact Tri-band bandpass lter using three stub-loaded open loop resonator with wide stopband and improved bandwidth response," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, 1950-1952, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.3425
3. Wu, H. W., L. Y. Jian, Y. W. Chen, and Y. K. Su, "New triple passband bandpass lter using multipath stub loaded resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 186-188, 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2526023
4. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and J. G. Liang, "Novel designed CSRRs and its application in tunable tri-band bandpass lter based on fractal geometry," Radioengineering, Vol. 20, 312-316, 2011.
5. Lan, S., M. Weng, S. Chang, C. Hung, and S. Liu, "A tri-band bandpass lter with wide stopband using asymmetric stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, 19-21, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2365739
6. Fan, W. X., Z. P. Li, and S. X. Gong, "Tri-band lter using combined E-type resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, 193-194, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3617
7. Koirala, G. R. and N. Y. Kim, "Multiband bandstop lter using an I-stub-loaded meandered defected microstrip structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, 61-66, 2016. doi:10.13164/re.2016.0061
8. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact CPW-based dual-band lter using modied complementary split ring resonator," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 89, 110-115, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.03.032
9. Xiao, J. K., Y. Li, J. G. Ma, and X. P. Bai, "Transmission zero controllable bandpass lters with dual and quad-band," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, 1003-1005, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.0350
10. Ma, K., J. G. Ma, K. S. Yeo, and A. M. Do, "A compact size coupling controllable lter with separate electric and magnetic coupling paths," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, 1113-1119, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864118
11. Xiao, J. K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, and J. G. Ma, "Coplanar waveguide bandpass lters with separate electric and magnetic couplings," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, 122-124, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3112
12. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Approach and Microwave Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2006.
13. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed zeroth- order resonant lter for bandpass applications," Frequenz Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications, De Gruyter, Vol. 71, 305-310, 2017.
14. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Vialess wideband bandpass lter using CRLH transmission line with semi-circular stub," International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 1-2, Dhanbad, India, 2015.
15. Wei, F., P. Y. Qin, Y. J. Guo, C. Ding, and X. W. Shi, "Compact balanced dual and tri-band BPFs based on coupled complementary split ring resonators (C-CSRR)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 107-109, 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2517125
16. Kumar, A., D. K. Choudhary, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Metamaterial tri-band bandpass lter using meander-line with rectangular-stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 66, 121-126, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL16123103
17. Cao, H., M. Yi, H. Chen, J. Liang, Y. Yu, X. Tan, and S. Yang, "A novel compact tri-band bandpass lter based on dual-mode CRLH-TL resonator and transversal stepped-impedance resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, 53-58, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15080403
18. Wang, W., Y. Li, Q. Cao, S. Yang, and Y. Chen, "Design of triple-bandpass lters using an asymmetric stepped-impedance ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 67, 7-12, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17011605
19. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact triple band metamaterial inspired bandpass lter using inverted S-shape resonator," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, 373-378, 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.0373
20. Ning, H., J. Wang, Q. Xiong, and L. Mao, "Design of planar dual and triple narrow-band bandstop lters with independently controlled stopbands and improved spurious response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 259-274, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12072109
21. Xu, K., Y.-H. Zhang, D. Li, Y. Fan, J. L.-W. Li, W. T. Joines, and Q. H. Liu, "Novel design of a compact triple-band bandpass lter using short stub-loaded SIRs and embedded SIRs structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 309-320, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13080507