A coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed flexible dual-band antenna using graphene as conducting material and Kapton polyimide as a substrate is proposed. The antenna shows increased impedance bandwidth due to the use of CPW-feed having the values of 80.29% (1.64-3.84 GHz) and 6.31% (5.52-5.88 GHz), respectively. The antenna has an overall size of 0.38λ × 0.43λ at center frequency of 3.4 GHz. The proposed flexible antenna has gain values of 1.82 dBi and 1.68 dBi with efficiency values more than 86% which makes the antenna commercially viable for smart wireless products having space constraints.
2. Bunch, J. S., "Mechanical and electrical properties of graphene sheets,", Ph.D. dissertation, Cornell University, 2008.
3. Lee, Y. and J. Ahn, "Graphene-based transparent conductive films," World Scientific, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1330001–16, 2013.
4. Moon, J. S. and D. K. Gaskill, "Graphene: Its fundamentals to future applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 59, No. 10, 2702-2708, Oct. 2011.
5. Scida, A., S. Haque, E. Treossi, S. Smerzi, S. Ravesi, S. Borini, and V. Palermo, "Application of graphene based flexible antennas in consumer electronic devices," Materials Today, Vol. 21, No. 3, Apr. 2018.
6. Akbari, M., et al., "Toward Graphene-based passive UHF RFID textile tags: A reliability study," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 16, No. 3, 429-431, 2016.
7. Huang, X., T. Leng, M. Zhu, X. Zhang, J. C. Chen, and K. H. Chang, "Highly flexible and conductive printed graphene for wireless wearable communications applications," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 1-8, 2015.
8. Reyes-Vera, E., M. Arias-Correa, A. Giraldo-Muno, D. Catano-Ochoa, and J. Santa-Marin, "Development of an improved response ultra-wideband antenna based on conductive adhesive of carbon composite," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 199-208, 2017.
9. De Assis, R. and I. Bianchi, "Analysis of microstrip antennas on carbon fiber composite material," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 11, 154-161, Jun. 2012.
10. Mehdipour, A., T. A. Denidni, A. Sebak, and C. W. Trueman, "Reconfigurable TX/RX antenna systems loaded by anisotropic conductive carbon-fiber composite materials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 1002-1006, Feb. 2014.
11. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, and R. Patel, "Compact wideband transparent antenna for 5G communication system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 2019.
12. Kantharia, M., A. Desai, T. K. Upadhyaya, R. H. Patel, P. Mankodi, and M. Kantharia, "High gain flexible cpw fed fractal antenna for bluetooth/WLAN/WPAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 87-93, 2018.
13. Kumar, J., B. Basu, F. A. Talukdar, and A. Nandi, "Graphene-based multimode inspired frequency reconfigurable user terminal antenna for satellite communication," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, 67-74, 2017.
14. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, M. Palandoken, and C. Gocen, "Dual band transparent antenna for wireless MIMO system applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 2019.
15. Desai, A. and T. Upadhyaya, "Transparent dual band antenna with μ-negative material loading for smart devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 11, 2805-2811, 2018.
16. Kumar, A., V. Sankhla, J. Deegwal, and A. Kumar, "An offset CPW-fed triple-band circularly polarized printed antenna for multiband wireless applications," International Journal of Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 86, 133-141, 2018.
17. Patel, R., A. Desai, and T. Upadhyaya, "A discussion on electrically small antenna property," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2386-2388, 2015.
18. Prajapati, P. R., G. G. K. Murthy, A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Design and testing of a compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with fractal defected ground structure for L-band applications," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1179-1185, 2015.
19. Upadhyaya, T., "Design of wide band printed monopole antenna for low rate wireless personal area networks," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 11, 2769-2773, 2018.
20. Li, Y. J., Z. Y. Lu, and L. S. Yang, "CPW-fed slot antenna for medical wearable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 42107-42112, 2019.
21. Leng, T., X. Huang, K. H. Chang, J. Chen, M. Abdalla, and Z. Hu, "Graphene nanoflakes printed flexible meandered-line dipole antenna on paper substrate for low-cost RFID and sensing applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 1565-1568, 2016.
22. Qiu, Y., N. Behdad, J. Lee, Y. H. Xu, R. Xu, W. Lin, N. Behdad, and Z. Ma, "Compact parylene-ccoated flexible antenna forWLAN and upper-band UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 24, 1782-1784, 2014.
23. Faisal, F., Y. Amin, Y. Cho, and H. Yoo, "Compact and flexible novel wideband flower-shaped CPW-fed antennas for high data wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 4184-4188, 2019.
24. Li, X., Y. C. Jiao, and L. Zhang, "Wideband low-profile CPW-fed slot loop antenna using an artificial magnetic conductor," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 11, 673-674, May 2018.
25. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Low-profile dual band textile antenna with artificial magnetic conductor plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 12, 6487-6490, Dec. 2014.
26. Lago, H., et al., "Textile antenna integrated with compact AMC and parasitic elements for WLAN/WBAN applications," Applied Physics A, Vol. 122, No. 12, 1059, 2016.
27. Liu, H., P. Wen, S. Zhu, B. Ren, X. Guan, and H. Yu, "Quad-band CPW-fed monopole antenna based on flexible pentangle-loop radiator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1373-1376, 2015.
28. Ahmed, S., F. A. Tahir, A. Shamim, and H. M. Cheema, "A compact kapton-based inkjet-printed multiband antenna for flexible wireless devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1802-1805, 2015.
29. Liu, H., S. Zhu, P.Wen, X. Xiao, W. Che, and X. Guan, "Flexible CPW-fed fishtail-shaped antenna for dual-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 770-773, 2014.
30. Hamouda, Z., Wojkiewicz, A. A. Pud, L. Kone, B. Belaabed, S. Bergheul, and T. Lasri, "Dual-band elliptical planar conductive polymer antenna printed on a flexible substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5864-5867, 2015.
31. Mohandoss, S., S. K. Palaniswamy, and R. R. Thipparaju, "On the bending and time domain analysis of compact wideband flexible monopole antennas," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 101, 168-181, 2019.
32., , Graphene paper [online] https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/substance/graphenepaper.
33., , Kapton polyimide [online] https://www.kaptontape.com/1 Mil Kapton Tapes.php.