In this paper, a planar inline fully-canonical topology is proposed to reduce sensitivity to fabrication tolerances compared to conventional inline all-pole configurations. Major concerns are related with errors in the absolute positioning of via-holes to ground which affect inter-resonator (main-line) couplings. The total expanded sensitivity considering variations of the main-line couplings have been obtained for fully and non-fully canonical configurations. The result shows that sensitivity is lower in the case of fully-canonical topologies. Moreover, the allocation of the transmission zeros plays a key role in terms of sensitivity. A prototype has been designed for the Ku-band based on asymmetrical coupled lines obtaining IL=-1.6 dB, RL below -18 dB, and out-of-band rejection higher than -50 dB.
2. Maasen, D., F. Rautschke, and G. Boeck, "Design and comparison of various coupled line Tx-filters for a Ku-band block upconverter," German Microwave Conference (GeMiC), 225-228, 2016.
3. Goldfarb, M. E. and R. A. Pucel, "Modeling via hole grounds in microstrip," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, No. 6, 135-137, 1991.
4. Swanson, D. G., "Grounding microstrip lines with via holes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 8, 1719-1721, 1992.
5. Yang, Y., M. Yu, and Q. Wu, "Advanced synthesis technique for unified extracted pole filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 12, 4463-4472, 2016.
6. Park, J., S. Lee, and Y. Lee, "Extremely miniaturized bandpass filters based on asymmetric coupled lines with equal reactance," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 2, 261-269, 2012.
7. He, Y., G. Wang, X. Song, and L. Sun, "A coupling matrix and admittance function synthesis for mixed topology filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 12, 4444-4454, 2016.
8. Gimenez, A., J. Verdu, and P. de Paco, "General synthesis methodology for the design of acoustic wave ladder filters and duplexers," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 47969-47969, 2018.
9. Cameron, R., C. Kudsia, and R. Mansour, Microwave Filters for Communications Systems: Fundamentals, Design, and Applications, Wiley, 2018.
10. Macchiarella, G., "Accurate synthesis of inline prototype filters using cascaded triplet and quadruplet sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1779-1783, 2002.
11. Martınez-Mendoza, M., C. Ernst, J. A. Lorente, A. Alvarez-Melcon, and F. Seyfert, "On the relation between stored energy and fabrication tolerances in microwave filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 7, 2131-2141, 2012.
12. Martınez-Mendoza, M., F. Seyfert, C. Ernst, and A. Alvarez-Melcon, "Formal expression of sensitivity and energy relationship in the context of the coupling matrix," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 11, 3369-3375, 2012.
13. Nedelchev, M. and D. Dobrev, "Low sensitivity symmetrical response microwave filters," Microelectronics Journal, No. 37, 546-553, 2006.
14. Junkin, G., "Conformal FDTD modeling of imperfect conductors at millimeter wave bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 199-205, 2011.
15. Triano, A., J. Verdu, P. De Paco, T. Bauer, and K. Wagner, "Relation between electromagnetic coupling effects and network synthesis for AW ladder type filters," IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), 2017.