A package-board co-design method was applied for a Narrowband Internet-of-Things (NB-IoT) SiP module. The electromagnetic interference (EMI) generated by the module was studied by improving the transmission quality of radio frequency (RF) signal. The SiP models of the initial design and the optimized design were simulated separately to show that the optimized design significantly increased effective transmission power of the RF signal and suppressed near-field electromagnetic radiation intensity to a certain extent. In addition, the optimized design model was verified by measurement. The measured results show good agreement with the simulated ones and demonstrate that the package-board co-design method can improve the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) of NB-IoT applications.
1. Cunha, T. R., et al., "Validation by measurements of an IC modeling approach for SiP applications," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 1, No. 8, 1214-1225, Aug. 2011. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2011.2158313
2. Yoon, S. W., S. Y. L. Lim, A. G. K. Viswanath, S. Thew, T. C. Chai, and V. Kripesh, "Reliability of a silicon stacked module for 3-D SiP microsystem," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 31, No. 1, 127-134, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2007.914971
3. Liu, L. T., et al., "Design and simulation of SIP for RF system," 2005 6th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology, 102-104, 2005.
4. Kripesh, V., et al., "Three-dimensional system-in-package using stacked silicon platform technology," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 28, No. 3, 377-386, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2005.852895
5. Kelander, I., M. Uusimaki, and A. N. Arslan, "EMC analysis on stacked packages," 2006 17th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 602-605, 2006. doi:10.1109/EMCZUR.2006.215006
6. Jiang, F., M. Li, and L. Gao, "Research on conformal EMI shielding Cu/Ni layers on package," 2014 15th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology, 227-230, 2014. doi:10.1109/ICEPT.2014.6922642
7. Tsai, M., et al., "Innovative packaging solutions of 3D double side molding with system in package for IoT and 5G application," 2019 IEEE 69th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), 700-706, 2019. doi:10.1109/ECTC.2019.00111
8. Liao, K. H., et al., "Novel EMI shielding methodology on highly integration SiP module," 2012 2nd IEEE CPMT Symposium Japan, 1-4, 2012.
9. Hwang, L. T. and T. S. J. Horng, "State-of-the-art IC packages, modules, and substrates," 3D IC and RF SiPs: Advanced Stacking and Planar Solutions for 5G Mobility, 111-137, IEEE, 2017.
10. Huang, C., et al., "Conformal shielding investigation for SiP modules," 2010 IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Package & Systems Symposium, 1-4, 2010.
11. Karim, N., J. K. Mao, and J. Fan, "Improving electromagnetic compatibility performance of packages and SiP modules using a conformal shielding solution," 2010 Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 56-59, 2010. doi:10.1109/APEMC.2010.5475724
12. Fee, T. M., et al., "Adhesion enhancement for electroless plating on mold compound for EMI shielding with industrial test compliance," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Semiconductor Electronics (ICSE2014), 313-316, 2014. doi:10.1109/SMELEC.2014.6920860
13. Wang, L. B., et al., "Ultrathin and flexible screen-printed metasurfaces for EMI shielding applications," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, No. 3, 700-705, Aug. 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2011.2159509
14. He, Y., et al., "Study on a conformal shielding structure with conductive adhesive coated on molding compound in 3-D packages," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 58, No. 2, 442-447, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2015.2503729
15. Hoang, J. V., et al., "Breakthrough packaging level shielding techniques and EMI effectiveness modeling and characterization," 2016 IEEE 66th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), 1290-1296, 2016. doi:10.1109/ECTC.2016.300
16. Wu, T. L., et al., "Effective electromagnetic shielding of plastic packaging in low-cost optical transceiver modules," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, No. 6, 1536-1543, Jun. 2003. doi:10.1109/JLT.2003.810087
17. Tai, M. F., S. L. Kok, and K. Mukai, "EMI shielding performance by metal plating on mold compound," 2016 IEEE 37th International Electronics Manufacturing Technology (IEMT) & 18th Electronics Materials and Packaging (EMAP) Conference, 1-4, 2016.
18. Jin, L., et al., "The electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of a low-cost and transparent stainless steel fiber/silicone resin composite," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 56, No. 2, 328-334, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2013.2280140
19. Rathi, V. and V. Panwar, "Electromagnetic interference shielding analysis of conducting composites in near- and far-field region," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1795-1801, Dec. 2018. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2017.2780883
20. Hsiao, C. Y., et al., "Mold-based compartment shielding to mitigate the intra-system coupled noise on SiP modules," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 341-344, 2011. doi:10.1109/ISEMC.2011.6038333
21. Sitaraman, S., et al., "Modeling, design and demonstration of integrated electromagnetic shielding for miniaturized RF SOP glass packages," 2015 IEEE 65th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), 1956-1960, 2015. doi:10.1109/ECTC.2015.7159869
22. Huang, S. and J. DeLaCruz, "Improvements of system-in-package integration and electrical performance using BVA wire bonding," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 7, No. 7, 1020-1034, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2017.2657380
23. Huang, S. and J. DeLaCruz, "Techniques for improving system-in-package integration and electrical performance," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility & Signal/Power Integrity (EMCSI), 129-134, 2017. doi:10.1109/ISEMC.2017.8078008
24. Huang, S., et al., "Suppression of couplings in high-speed interconnects using absorbing materials," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1432-1439, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2016.2582867
25. Pulici, P., et al., "Signal integrity flow for system-in-package and package-on-package devices," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 1, 84-95, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2007469
26. Jandhyala, V., et al., "Toward building full-system EMI verification and early design flows through full-wave electromagnetic simulation," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 1, 104-115, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1002/mmce.20589
27. Song, T., et al., "Full-chip signal integrity analysis and optimization of 3-D ICs," IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 24, No. 5, 1636-1648, May 2016. doi:10.1109/TVLSI.2015.2471098
28. Oikawa, R., "Package substrate built-in three-dimensional distributed matching circuit for high-speed SerDes applications," 2008 58th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 676-682, 2008. doi:10.1109/ECTC.2008.4550045
29. Seo, D., et al., "Enhancement of differential signal integrity by employing a novel face via structure," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 60, No. 1, 26-33, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2017.2725943
30. Chuang, H. H., et al., "Signal/Power integrity modeling of high-speed memory modules using chip-package-board coanalysis," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 381-391, May 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2043108