This paper presents a novel technique for efficiently combining genetic algorithms (GA's) with method of moments (MOM) for planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs). MOM is applied to analyze rectangular patches fed by a coaxial probe and shorted with a shorted pin. The impedance matrix of such a mother structure is, then manipulated by a GA optimization procedure in order to detect the optimal patch shape matching the required frequency properties. GA adoption enables optimal shape detection among all possible shapes allowed by the mother structure dimensions. The design example of dual-band antenna is presented, and measurement result is compared to numerical results. Excellent agreement between numerical and measured results is observed.
Dao Yi Su,
"Genetic Algorithms and Method of Moments for the Design of Pifas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 1, 9-18, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110603
1. Choi, H., D. S. Shin, S. U. Park, and H. D. Kim, "Compact surface-mount wideband and multi-band internal chipan tenna for mobile handset," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1044-1047, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061006054652
2. Su, W.-C. and K.-L. Wong, "Internal PIFAs for UMTS/WLAN/WiMAX multi-network operation for a USB dongle," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 11, 2249-2253, November 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21903
3. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A novel miniaturized triband PIFA for MIMO applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 724-731, March 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22239
4. Huang, M.-Y. and J.-S. Sun, "Multi-band antenna applications in mobile phone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2498-2501, October 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22726
5. Park, H. and J. Choi, "Design of broad quad-band planar inverted-F antenna for cellular/PCS/UMTS/DMB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 418-421, December 5. 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21188
6. Choi, D., C. Shin, N. Kim, and H. Shin, "Design and SAR analysis of broadband PIFA with triple band," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 3, 290-293, 2005. doi:10.2529/PIERS041212211650
7. Jeon, S.-G., D.-H. Seo, Y.-S. Yu, and J.-H. Choi, "Broadband internal antenna for mobile DTV handsets," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1048-1052, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061006224624
8. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments (GA/MOM) for the design of integrated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 1606-1614, Oct. 1999.
9. Makarow, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with Matlab, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 2002.
10. Pissoort, D., H. Rogier, F. Olyslager, and D. Zutter, "Design of a planar broad-band antenna using a genetic algorithm and the MoM," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 334-337, 2002.
11. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using realcoded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061304
12. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
13. Castellana, F., F. Bilotti, and L. Vegni, "Automated dual band patch antenna design by a genetic algorithm based numerical code," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 696-699, 2001.
14. Xiang, T., K. F. Man, K. M. Luk, and C. H. Chan, "Design of multiband miniature handset antenna by MoM and HGA," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 179-182, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.872408