Rain rate and rain attenuation predictions are one of the vital steps to be considered when analyzing a microwave satellite communication links at the Ku and Ka bands. In this paper, tools for the prediction of rain rate and rain attenuation are presented in the form of contour maps for Nigeria using a massive rainfall data bank of 30 years which are taken from measurements made from the coast to the arid region of Nigeria. Rain-rate maps for the country of Nigeria were developed using the models purposely designed for tropical zones while ITU-R models were used for the rain-attenuation maps. The information from these maps will be a good preliminary design tools for both terrestrial and earth-satellite microwave links and also provide a broad idea of rain attenuation for microwave engineers.
"Rain Rate and Rain Attenuation Prediction for Satellite Communication in Ku and Ka Bands Over
Nigeria.," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 5, 207-223, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021201
8. Crane, R. K., "A two-component rain model for the prediction of attenuation statistics," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 6, 1371-1387, 1982. doi:10.1029/RS017i006p01371
9. Crane, R. K., "Evaluation of global and CCIR models for estimation of rain rate statistics," Radio Sci., Vol. 20, No. 4, 865-879, 1985. doi:10.1029/RS020i004p00865
10. Crane, R. and A. W. Dissanayake, "ACTS propagation experiment: Attenuation distribution observations and prediction model comparison," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 85, 879-892, 1997. doi:10.1109/5.598411
11. Crane, R. K., Electromagnetic Wave propagation through Rain, Wiley Interscience, New York, 1996.
12. Dutton, E. J. and H. T. Dougherty, "Year-to-year variability of rainfall for microwave applications in the USA," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 28, 829-832, 1979. doi:10.1109/TCOM.1979.1094464
13. Dutton, E. J., "Microwave terrestrial link rain attenuation prediction parameter analysis," US Department of Communications, National Telecommunications and Information Administration (STIA) Tech. Rep., 84-148, 1984.
14. Emiliani, L. D., J. Agudelo, E. Gutierrez, J. Restrepo, and C. Fradique-Mendez, "Development of rain-attenuation and rain-rate maps for satellite system design in the Ku and Ka bands in Colombia," IEEE Antenna and Propag. Mag., Vol. 46, No. 6, 54-68, 2004. doi:10.1109/MAP.2004.1396736
15. Gallois, A. P., P. P. Hartigan, and A. M. Bock, "A comparison of slant path attenuation models applied to the selection of satellite beacon receiver sites," Proceedings of the 6th International Conf. on Ant. and Propag., 271-275, 1989.
16. Gunes, M., F. Gunes, and K. Dimiller, "Development of a climatic map of attenuation by rainfall for Turkey," Proceedings of the 7th Mediterranean Electrotechnology Conf., 383-386, 1994.
17., "Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of earth-space telecommunications systems," Recommendation P.618-8, ITU-R P Sers., ITU-R, Int. Telecomm. Union, 1999.
18., "Specific attenuation model for rain for use in prediction methods," Recommendation P.838-1, 2, ITU-R P Sers., ITU-R, Int. Telecomm. Union, 1999.
19., "Rain height model for prediction methods," Recommendation P.839-3, ITU-R P Sers., ITU-R, Int. Telecomm. Union, 2001.
20., "Characteristics of precipitation for propagation modelling," Recommendation ITU-R P.837-4, ITU-R P Sers., ITU-R, Int. Telecomm. Union, 2003.
22. Moupfouma, F., "Model of rainfall-rate distribution for radio system design," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 132, Pt. H, No. 1, 39-43, 1985.
23. Moupfouma, F. and L. Martin, "Modelling of the rainfall rate cumulative distribution for the design of satellite and terrestrial communication systems," Int. J. of Satellite Comm., Vol. 13, No. 2, 105-115, 1995. doi:10.1002/sat.4600130203
24. Restrepo, J., L. D. Emiliani, and C. Fradique-Mendez, "Rain attenuation prediction in tropical zones: Theoretical analysis, measurement campaigns and model comparisons," 20th ICSSC, 2002.
25. Rice, P. and N. Holmberg, "Cumulative time statistics of surface-point rainfall rates," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 21, 1131-1136, 1973. doi:10.1109/TCOM.1973.1091546
26. Ryde, J. W., "The attenuation and radar echoes produced at centimeter wavelengths by various meteorological phenomena," Meteorological Factors in Radio Wave Propagation, 169-188, 1946.
27. Salonen, E. T. and J. P. V. Poiares-Baptista, "A new global rainfall rate model," Proceedings of the 10th International Conf. on Ant. and Propag. (Pub N 14-176-436), 182-185, 1997.
29. Stutzman, W. L. and W. K. Dishman, "A simple model for the estimation of rain-induced attenuation along earth-space paths at millimeter wavelengths," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 6, 1465-1476, 1982. doi:10.1029/RS017i006p01465
30. Watson, P. A., V. Sathiaseelan, and B. Potter, "Development of a climatic map of rainfall attenuation for Europe," No. 300, 134, Post Graduate School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Bradford, U. K, Rep., 1981.