Photonic band structure and reflection properties of one-dimensional magnetic star wave-guide (MSWG) structure composed of a backbone (or substrate) waveguide along which a finite side branches grafted periodically have been investigated. The dispersion relation and hence the photonic band gaps (PBGs) of the magnetic SWG structure have been obtained by applying the Interface Response Theory (IRT). Investigation of dispersion characteristics shows that the existence of band gaps in magnetic SWG structures does not require the contrast in the wave impedance of the constituent materials, which is unlike the usual magnetic photonic crystal structure, where there must be the contrast in the wave impedance for the existence of the band gaps. Moreover, magnetic SWG structures have wider reflection bands in comparison to normal magnetic photonic crystal (MPC) structure for the same contrast in the wave impedance. Analysis shows that the width of forbidden bands for MSWG structure changes with the change in permittivity and permeability of the backbone, and side branches materials even the ratio of wave impedance is the same, but it remains the same in case of MPC structure. In addition to this, we have studied the effects of variation of number of grafted branches and substrates i.e., number of nodes on the reflection bands of magnetic SWG structure.
"Enlarged Photonic Band Gaps in One-Dimensional Magnetic Star Wave Guide Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 9, 21-34, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09081501
1. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics and electronics,", Vol. 58, 2059-2062, 1987. doi:10.1038/386143a0
2. Joannopoulos, J. D., P. Villeneuve, and S. Fan, "Photonic crystals: Putting a new twist on light," Nature, Vol. 386, 143, London， 1997.
3. Yuan, K., X. Zheng, C.-L. Li, and W. L. She, "Design of omnidirectional and multiple channeled filters using one-dimensional photonic crystals containing a defect layer with a negative refractive index," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, No. 066604, 1-5, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.10518
4. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Operating characteristics of an optical ¯lter using metallic photonic band gap materials," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 35, 68-71, 2002.
5. Wang, L.-G., H. Chen, and S. Y. Zhu, "Omnidirectional gap and defect mode of one-dimnesional photonic crystals with single-negative materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, No. 245102, 1-6, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1637452
6. Jiang, H., H. Chen, H. Li, and Y. Zhang, "Omnidirectional gap and defect mode of one-dimensional photonic crystals containing negative index materials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 5386-5388, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER07010501
7. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Structural parameters in the formation of omnidirectional high reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 53-78, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06061602
8. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional re°ection bands in one-dimensional photonic crystal structures with left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 91-111, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031101
9. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER06102502
10. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Microwave filters using waveguides filled by multi-layer dielectric," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 105-110, 2006.
11. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and A. Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter using complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.57.R9388
12. Dobrzynski, L., A. Akjouj, A. Djafari-Rouhani, J. O. Vasseur, and J. Zemmouri, "Giant gaps in photonic band structures," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 57, R9388-9391, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.55.10434
13. Vasseur, J. O., P. A. Deymier, L. Dobrzynski, B. Djafari-Rouhani, and A. Akjouj, "Absolute band gaps and electromagnetictransmission in quasi-one-dimensional comb structure," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 55, 10434-10442, 1997. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/15/10/308
14. Mir, A., A. Akjouj, J. O. Vasseur, B. Djafari-Rouhani, N. Fettouhi, E. Boudouti, L. Dobrzynski, and J. Zemmouri, "Observation of large photonic band gaps and defect modes in onedimensional networked waveguides," J. Phys. Condens. Matter, Vol. 15, 1593-1598, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER06061602
15. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Photonic band gaps in one-dimensional metallic star waveguide structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 91-111, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2009.01.029
16. Yin, C. P. and H. Z. Wang, "Narrow transmission bands of quasi-1D comblike photonic waveguides containing negative index materials," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 373, 1093-1096, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2008.03.042
17. Zhang, L., Z. Wang, L. Chen, H. Li, and Y. Zhang, "Experimental study of quasi-one-dimensional comb-like photonic crystals containing left-handed material," Opt. Comm., Vol. 281, 3681-3685, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.56.959
18. Sigalas, M. M., M., C. M. Soukolis, and K. M. Ho, "Effect of magnetic permeability on photonic band gaps," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 56, 959-962, 1997. doi:10.1063/1.1699490
19. Drikis, I., S. Y. Yang, H. E. Horng, C. Y. Hong, and H. C. Yang, "Modified frequency-domain method for simulating the electromagnetic properties in periodic magneto active system," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 95, No. 10, 5876-5881, 2004.
20. Kee, C.-S., J.-E. Kim, H. Y. Park, and H. Lim, "Roles of wave impedance and refractive index in photonic crystals with magnetic and dielectric properties," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theo. Tech., Vol. 47, 2148-2150, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER05061701
21. Dmitriev, V., "2D magnetic photonic crystals with square lattice-group theoretical standpoint," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 71-100, 2006. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/6/12/006
22. Kee, C.-S., J.-E. Kim, and H. Y. Park, "Omnidirectional reflection bands of one-dimensional magnetic photonic crystals," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 6, 1086-1088, 2004.
23. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1988.