This paper presents a novel optimization technique biogeography based optimization (BBO) for antenna array synthesis. BBO is a relatively new evolutionary global optimization technique based on the science of biogeography. It is capable of solving linear and non-linear problems. In this paper, BBO algorithm is used to determine an optimum set of amplitudes of antenna elements that provide a radiation pattern with maximum side lobe level reduction and/or null placement in the specified directions. The results obtained show the effectiveness of the BBO algorithm, and they are better than previous published results.
3. Er, M. H., "Linear antenna array pattern synthesis with prescribed broad nulls," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 1496-1498, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.57004
4. Ibrahim, H. M., "Null steering by real-weight control --- A method of decoupling the weights," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 1648-1650, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.102781
5. Liao, W. P. and F. L. Chu, "Array pattern synthesis with null steering using genetic algorithms by controlling only the current amplitudes," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 86, 445-457, 1999. doi:10.1080/002072199133355
6. Haupt, R. L., "Phase-only adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 45, 1009-1015, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.585749
7. Ismail, T. H. and M. M. Dawoud, "Null steering in phased arrays by controlling the element positions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 1561-1566, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.102769
8. Tennant, A., M. M. Dawoud, and A. P. Anderson, "Array pattern nulling by element position perturbations using a genetic algorithm," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 174-176, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19940139
9. Guney, K. and A. Akdagli, "Null steering of linear antenna arrays using modified tabu search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 167-182, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00121402
10. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112801
11. Mouhamadou, M., P. Armand, P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Interference supression of the linear antenna arrays controlled by phase with use of SQP algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 251-265, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05100603
12. Yan, K. K. and Y. L. Lu, "Sidelobe reduction in array pattern synthesis using genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 1117-1122, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.596902
13. Jin, J., H. L. Wang, W. M. Zhu, and Y. Z. Liu, "Array patterns synthesizing using genetic algorithm," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 64-68, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS050812013929
14. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061304
15. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
16. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q. Z. Liu, and J. Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091901
17. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 14, 1187-1189, July 3, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970838
18. Murino, V., A. Trucco, and C. S. Regazzoni, "Synthesis of unequally spaced arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 1, 119-123, January 1996. doi:10.1109/78.482017
19. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07011204
20. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2674-2679, August 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851762
21. Bataineh, M. H. and J. I. Ababneh, "Synthesis of a periodic linear phased antenna array using particle swarm optimization," Electromagnetics, Vol. 26, No. 7, 531-541, October 2006. doi:10.1080/02726340600872948
22. Nanbo, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multiobjective implementations," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 3, 556-567, March 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891552
23. Khodier, M. and M. Al-Aqeel, "Linear and circular array optimization: A study using particle swarm intelligence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 15, 347-373, 2009.
24. Zhang, S., S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, P.-F. Zhang, and Q. Gong, "A novel IGA-edsPSO hybrid algorithm for the synthesis of sparse arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 121-134, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08120806
25. Akdagli, A., K. Guney, and D. Karaboga, "Touring ant colony optimization algorithm for shaped-beam pattern synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Electromagnetics, Vol. 26, 615-628, 2006. doi:10.1080/02726340600978349
26. Hosseini, S. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Optimization of side lobe level and ¯xing quasi-nulls in both of the sum and difference patterns by using continuous ant colony optimization (ACO) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 321-337, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07102901
27. Merad, L., F. Bendimerad, and S. Meriah, "Design of linear antenna arrays for side lobe reduction using the tabu search method," The International Arab Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 5, No. 3, 219-222, July 2008.
28. Guney, K. and S. Basbug, "Interference suppression of linear antenna arrays by amplitude-only control using a bacterial foraging algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 475-497, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110705
29. Rocha-Alicano, C., D. Covarrubias-Rosales, C. Brizuela-Rodriguez, and M. Panduro-Mendoza, "Differential evolution algorithm applied to sidelobe level reduction on a planar array," AEU International Journal of Electronic and Communications, Vol. 61, No. 5, 286-290, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2006.05.008
30. Weng, W.-C., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Design of an ultra-wideband antenna using taguchi's optimization method," The 24th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society, ACES'08, April 2008.