Utilization of wearable textile materials for the development of microstrip antenna segment has been rapid due to the recent miniaturization of wireless devices. A wearable antenna is meant to be a part of the clothing used for communication purposes, which includes tracking and navigation, mobile computing and public safety. This paper describes design and development of four rectangular patch antennas employing different varieties of cotton and polyester clothing for on-body wireless communications in the 2.45 GHz WLAN band. The impedance and radiation characteristics are determined experimentally when the antennas are kept in flat position. The performance deterioration of a wearable antenna is analyzed under bent conditions too to check compatibility with wearable applications. Results demonstrate the suitability of these patch antennas for on-body wireless communications.
"Development of Textile Antennas for Body Wearable Applications and Investigations on Their Performance Under Bent Conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 53-71, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10032705
2. Salomen, P. and H. Hurme, "Modeling of a fabric GPS antenna for wearable applications," Proceedings of IASTED International Conference Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 1, 18-23, 2003.
3. Salomen, P. and H. Hurme, "A novel fabric WLAN antenna for wearable applications," Proceedings of IEEE APS International Symposium, Vol. 2, 700-703, June 2003.
4. Tanaka, M. and J. H. Jang, "Wearable microstrip antenna," Proceedings of IEEE APS International Symposium and URSI North American Radio Science Meeting, Columbus, OH, USA, June 2003.
5. Wong, K. L. and C. I. Lin, "Characteristics of a 2.4 GHz compact shorted patch antenna in close proximity to a lossy medium," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 6, 480-483, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20858
6. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., F. Huang, and J. C. Batchelor, "Covert dual-band wearable button antenna," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 12, 668-670, June 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20060482
7. Ogawa, K., T. Uwano, and M. Takahashi, "A shoulder-mounted planar antenna for mobile radio applications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 29, No. 3, 1041-1044, May 2000. doi:10.1109/25.845120
8. Locher, I., M. Klemm, T. Kirstein, and G. Troster, "Design and characterization of purely textile patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 29, No. 3, 777-778, November 2006.
9. Salonen, P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Textile antennas: Effects of antenna bending on input matching and impedance bandwidth," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 3, 10-14, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAES.2007.340501
10. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable antennas over EBG substrate," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 3, 141-142, February 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073151
11. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "A circular disk microstrip WLAN antenna for wearable applications," Proc. of IEEE --- INDICON, Vol. 1, 513-516, Ahmedabad, India, December 2009.
12. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "A textile antenna for WLAN applications," Proc. of ELECTRO, 397-400, Varanasi, India, December 2009.
13. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "A bluetooth antenna for on-body communications," Proc. of EuCAP, Barcelona, Spain, April 2010.
14. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "A novel technique for determination of dielectric constant of fabric materials for wearable antennas," Proceedings of International Conference on Near-Field Characterization and Imaging, Vol. 1, 247-250, Taipei, Taiwan, June 2009.
15. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., 722-736 and 869-870, John Wiley & Sons, Asia Pte Ltd., Singapore, 1997.
16. IE3D Electromagnetic Simulator from Zeland Software Inc., USA, 2004, Release 10.12.
17. Internet resource, Applying Error Correction to Network Analyzer Measurements, Agilent application note 5965-7709E, March 27, 2002, http://www.home.agilent.com.
18. Kraus, J. D., R. J. Marhefka, and A. S. Khan, Antennas for All Applications, 3rd Ed., 24-25, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd., New Delhi, 2006.