An efficient method is presented for rigorous description of three-dimensional electromagnetic diffraction fields in slot systems containing several parallel plane interfaces between dielectrics and conductors. For such structures, the method employs the representation of spatial field components in terms of two complex scalar functions. They specify two field polarizations, which reflect and refract on all parallel dielectric interfaces independently, one from the other, which essentially simplify the total solution of diffraction problem. As an example, the application of eigen-function expansions and mode-matching technique solves the specific problem of three-dimensional diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a thin conducting screen located ahead of a half-infinite dielectric.
1. Baranchugov, E. A., P. M. Zatsepin, and S. A. Komarov, "Quasi-three-dimensional problem of diffraction of a planar electromagnetic wave by an impedance strip," Journ. of Communications Technology & Electronics, Vol. 43, No. 11, 1199-1203, 1998.
2. Slade, G. W. and K. J. Webb, "Computation of characteristic impedance for multiple microstrip transmission lines using a vector finite element method ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 1, 34-40, 1992. doi:10.1109/22.108320
3. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Scattering of arbitrarily polarized plane waves obliquely incident on infinite slots or strips in a planar-stratified medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1634-1640, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.736613
4. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Direct singular integral equation methods in scattering and propagation in strip- or slot-loaded structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 10, 1560-1570, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.725290
5. Janaswamy, R., "Wiener-Hopf analysis of the asymmetric slotline," Radio Sci., Vol. 25, No. 5, 699-706, 1990. doi:10.1029/RS025i005p00699
5. Itoh, T. and R. Mittra, "Spectral-domain approach for calculating the dispersion characteristics of microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 21, No. 7, 496-499, 1973. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1973.1128044
7. Kashyap, S. C. and M. A. Hamid, "Diffraction characteristics of a slit in a thick conducting screen," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 19, No. 4, 499-507, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1139961
8. Litvinenko, L. N., S. L. Prosvirnin, and V. P. Shestopalov, "Diffraction of a plane H-polarized electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of finite thickness," Radiotechn. & Electron., Vol. 22, No. 3, 474-484, 1977 (in Russian).
9. Serdyuk, V. M., "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of arbitrary thickness," Technical Physics, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1076-1083, 2005. doi:10.1134/1.2014542
10. Rudnitsky, A. S. and V. M. Serdyuk, "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of finite thickness placed in front of a half-infinite dielectric," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 277-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08092605
11. Kim, J. H. and H. J. Eom, "Radiation from multiple annular slots on a circular cylindrical cavity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 47-56, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391713
12. Nesterenko, M. V., V. A. Katrich, Y. M. Penkin, and S. L. Berdnik, "Analytical methods in theory of slot-hole coupling of electrodynamics volumes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 79-174, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06121203
13. Zhao, X. W., X. J. Dang, Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "MLFMA analysis of waveguide arrays with narrow-wall slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1063-1078, 2007.
14. Al-Zoulbi, A. S., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Analysis and design of a rectangular dielectric resonator antenna FED by dielectric image line through narrow slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 379-390, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082504
15. Veliev, E. I., M. V. Ivakhnychenko, and T. M. Ahmedov, "Fractional boundary conditions in plane wave diffraction on a strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 443-462, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07102406
16. Imran, A., Q. A. Naqvi, and K. Hongo, "Diffraction of electromagnetic plane wave from a slit in PEMC plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 67-77, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09042207
17. Born, M. and E. Wolf, "Principles of Optics," Pergamon, Oxford, 1969.
18. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
19. Jones, D. S., "Acoustic and Electromagnetic Waves," Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1989.
20. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan, New York, 1971.
21. Weinstein, L. A., "The Theory of Diffraction and the Factorization Method," Golem, Boulder, 1969.
22. Kantorovich, L. V. and V. I. Krylov, Approximate Methods of Higher Analysis, Wiley, New York, 1964.