Excitation of electromagnetic ion-cyclotron instability in the magneto plasma in the presence of perpendicular A.C. electric field for a generalized distribution function for background cold electrons and hot ion plasma has been studied. This distribution function is reducible to anisotropic and loss-cone type for different values of spectral index j. The particle trajectories have been estimated and used to find the dispersion relation and growth rate by using the method of characteristic solutions. Temporal electromagnetic ion cyclotron instability for various plasma parameters has been studied. The role of choice of parameters, distribution function and simultaneous presence of a.c. electric field is studied for excitation of electromagnetic ion cyclotron instability. The results have been used to explain the satellite observations of AMPTE/CCE and compared with earlier work done for temperature anisotropy and other types of distribution functions using other techniques.
1. Anderson, B. J., R. E. Erlandson, and L. J. Zanetti, "A statistical study of PC1-2 magnetic pulsations in the equatorial magnetosphere, 1, equatorial occurrence distributions," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 97, 3075, 1992. doi:10.1029/91JA02706
2. Anderson, B. J., R. E. Erlandson, and L. J. Zanetti, "A statistical study of PC1-2 magnetic pulsations in the equatorial magnetosphere, 2, wave properties," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 97, 3089, 1992. doi:10.1029/91JA02697
3. Thorne, R. M. and R. B. Horne, "Energy transfer between energetic ring current H+ and O+ by electromagnetic ioncyclotron waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 99, 17275, 1994. doi:10.1029/94JA01007
4. Horne, R. B. and R. M. Thorne, "Convective instabilities of electromagnetic ion-cyclotron waves in the outer magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 99, 17259, 1994. doi:10.1029/94JA01259
5. Young, D. T., J. Balsiger, P. Eberhardt, A. Ghielmetti, and H. Rosenbauer, "Discovery of He+2 and O+2 ions of terrestrial origin in the outer magnetosphere," Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 4, 561, 1977. doi:10.1029/GL004i012p00561
6. Mauk, B. H., "Helium resonance and dispersion effects on geostationary Alfven/ion-cyclotron waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 87, 9107-9119, 1982. doi:10.1029/JA087iA11p09107
7. Gomberoff, L. and R. Neira, "Convective growth rate of ion-cyclotron waves in a H+-He+ and H+-He+-O+ plasma," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 88, 2170, 1983. doi:10.1029/JA088iA03p02170
8. Gendrin, R., M. Ashour-Abdalla, Y. Omura, and K. Quest, "Linear analysis of ion-cyclotron interaction in a multi component plasma," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 89, 9119, 1984. doi:10.1029/JA089iA10p09119
9. Khazanov, G. V., K. V. Gamayunov, and V. K. Jordanova, "Self consistent model of magnetospheric ring current and electromagnetic ion cyclotron wave: The May 2--7, 1998 storm," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 108, No. A12, 1419, 2003. doi:10.1029/2003JA009856
10. Khazanov, G. V., K. V. Gamayunov, D. L. Gallagher, and J. U. Kozyra, "Self consistent model of magnetospheric ring current and propagating electromagnetic ion cyclotron waves: Waves in multi-ion magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 111, 11833, 2006.
11. Gary, S. P., "The mirror and ion-cyclotron anisotropy instabilities," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 97, 8519, 1992. doi:10.1029/92JA00299
12. Gary, S. P., S. A. Fuselier, and B. J. Anderson, "Ion anisotropy instabilities in the magneto sheath," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 98, 1484, 1993.
13. Tanaka, M., "Simulations of heavy ion heating by electromagnetic ion cyclotron waves driven by proton temperature anisotropics," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 90, 137, 1985.
14. Omura, Y., M. Ashour-Abdala, R. Gendrin, and K. Quest, "Heating of thermal helium in the equtoral magnetosphere: A simulation study," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 90, 8281, 1985. doi:10.1029/JA090iA09p08281
15. Machida, S., C. K. Geeretz, and T. Hada, "The electromagnetic ion-cyclotron instability in the lotorns," J. Geophysic. Lett., Vol. 93, 7545, 1988.
16. Denton, R. E. and M. K. Hudson, "Loss-cone driven ion-cyclotron waves in the magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 79, 12098, 1992.
17. Xue, S., R. M. Thorne, and D. Summers, "Damping of oblique electromagnetic ion-cyclotron waves the earths magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 101, 1996.
18. Xue, S. and R. M. Thorne, "Parametric study of electromagnetic ion-cyclotron instability in the earths magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 101, 15467, 1996. doi:10.1029/96JA01087
20. Christon, B. J., D. G. Mitchell, D. J. Williams, L. A. Frank, C. Y. Hung, and T. E. Eastman, "Energy spectra of plasma sheet ions and electrons from 50 eV to 1MeV during plasma temperature transitions," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 93, 2562, 1988. doi:10.1029/JA093iA04p02562
21. Christon, B. J., D. G. Mitchell, and D. J. Williams, "Spectral characteristics of plasma sheet ion and electron populations during disturbed geomagnetic conditions," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 96, 1, 1991. doi:10.1029/90JA01633
22. Summers, D. and R. M. Thorne, "Relativistic electron pitch angle scattering by electromagnetic ion cyclotron wave during geomagnetic strom," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 108, 9489, 2003.
23. Anderson, B. J., R. E. Denton, D. C. Hamilton, S. A. Fuselier, and R. J. Strangeway, "Observational test of local proton-cyclotron instability in earth magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 101, 21527, 1997.
24. Anderson, B. J. and S. A. Fuselier, "Magnetic pulsations from 0.1 to 0.4 Hz and associated plasma properties in the earth's sub solar magneto sheath and plasma deplation layer," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 98, 1461, 1993. doi:10.1029/92JA02197
25. Mozer, F. S., R. B. Torbert, U. V. Fahleson, C. G. Falthammar, A. Gonfalone, A. Pedersen, and C. T. Russel, "Electric field measurement in the solar wind bow shock, magnetosheath, magnetopause and magnetosphere space," Sci. Rev., Vol. 22, 791, 1978.
26. Wygant, J. R., M. Bensadoum, and F. S. Mozer, "Electric field measurements at subcritical oblique bow shock crossings," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 92, 17109, 1987.
27. Lindqvist, P. A. and F. S. Mozer, "The average tangential electric field at the noon magnetopause," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 17, 137, 1990.
28. Perrant, S., R. Gendrin, P. Robert, A. Roux, C. Devilledary, and D. Jones, "ULF waves observed with magnetic and electric sensors on GEOS-1," Space Science Rev., Vol. 22, 347, 1978.
29. Heppner, J. P., N. C. Maynard, and T. L. Aggson, "Early results from ISEE-1 electric field measurements," Space Science Rev., Vol. 22, 777, 1978.
30. Ahirwar, G., P. Verma, and M. S. Tiwari, "Electromagnetic ion cyclotron instability in the presence of a parallel electric field with general loss-cone distribution function --- Particle aspect analysis," Ann. Geophys., Vol. 24, 1919-1930, 2006. doi:10.5194/angeo-24-1919-2006
31. Ishida, J., S. Kokubum, and R. L. McPherron, "Substorm effects on spectral structures of PC-1 waves at synchronous orbit," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 92, 143, 1987. doi:10.1029/JA092iA01p00143
32. Misra, K. D. and R. S. Pandey, "Generation of Whistler emission by injection of hot electrons in the presence of a.c. electric field in the magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 100, 19405, 1995. doi:10.1029/95JA01083
33. Pandey, R. S. and K. D. Misra, "Excitation of oblique whistler waves in magnetosphere and in interplanetary space at 1AU," Earth Planets & Space, Vol. 54, 159, 2002.
34. Fried, B. D. and S. D. Conte, The Plasma Dispersion Function , Academic, San Diego, Calif., 1961.
35. Anderson, B. J. and S. A. Fuselier, "Response of thermal ions to electromagnetic ion-cyclotron waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 79, 19413, 1994. doi:10.1029/94JA01235
36. Roux, A., S. Perrant, J. L. Rauch, C. Devilledary, G. Kremser, A. Korth, and D. T. Young, "Wave-interactions near Ω+He observed on board GEOS-1 and 2, generation of ion cyclotron waves and heating of He+ ions," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 87, 8174, 1982. doi:10.1029/JA087iA10p08174
37. Roux, J. L. and A. Roux, "Ray tracing of ULF waves in a multicomponent magnetospheric plasma: Consequences for the generation mechanism of ion cyclotron waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 87, 8191, 1982.
38. Cuperman, S. and R. W. Landau, "On the enhancement of the whistler mode instability in the magnetosphere by cold plasma injection," J. Geophys. Res.,, Vol. 79, 128, 1974. doi:10.1029/JA079i001p00128
39. Cuperman, S., "Electromagnetic kinetic instabilities in multicomponent space plasmas: Theoretical predictions and computer simulation experiments," Rev. Geophys., Vol. 19, 307, 1981. doi:10.1029/RG019i002p00307
40. Kennel, C. F. and H. E. Petchek, "Limit on stably trapped particle fluxes," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 71, 1, 1966.
41. Misra, K. D. and T. Haile, "Effect of a.c. electric field on the whistler mode instability in the magnetosphere," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 98, 9297, 1993. doi:10.1029/92JA02558
42. Huang, L., J. G. Hawkins, and L. C. Lee, "On the generation of pulsating aurora by the loss-cone driven whistler instability in the Equatorial region," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 95, 3893, 1990. doi:10.1029/JA095iA04p03893
43. Kudrin, A. V., E. Y. Petrov, G. A. Kyriaeou, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Insulated cyclindrical antena in cold magnetoplasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 135-166, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04090101
44. Pandey, R. S., R. P. Pandey, K. M. Singh, and N. M. Mishra, "Cold plasma injection on VLF wave mode for relativistic magnetoplasma with a.c. electric field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 217-232, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08022501
45. Pandey, R. S., R. P. Pandey, A. K. Srivastava, S. M. Karim, and Hariom, "The electromagnetic ion-cyclotron instability in the presence of a.c. electric field for Lorentzian Kappa," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 1, 207-217, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08032601