Non Destructive Testing techniques are more and more exploited in order to quickly and cheaply recognize flaws into the inspected materials, specially for carbon fiber reinforced polymers in recent years. Their production which are widely used both in civil and military applications, is an elaborate process un-free from faults and problems. Problems during the manufacturing, such as plies' overlapping, can cause flaws in the resulting material, this way compromising its integrity. Within this framework, this work aims to propose a design of ferrite core probe for eddy current non destructive evaluation, in order to investigate the presence of defects in carbon fiber epoxy composite materials. In this context, modelling is a powerful tool for inspection improvements. It helps probe-coil designers to optimize sensors for each examination requirement, providing better understanding of the involved physics, supporting operator training and increasing defect analysis reliability. Particularly, Finite Element based analyzes will be carried out into this path. After this step, in order to improve the quality of simulated measurement, a filtering technique has been exploited in order to improve the accuracy and performance of the flaw detection.
4. De Goeje, M. P. and K. E. D. Wapenaar, "Non-destructive inspection of carbon fiber-reinforced plastics using eddy current methods," Composites, Vol. 23, No. 9, 147-157, 1992. doi:10.1016/0010-4361(92)90435-W
5. Lange, R. and G. Mook, "Structural analysis of CFRP using eddy current methods," NDT&E International, Vol. 27, No. 5, 241-248, 1994. doi:10.1016/0963-8695(94)90128-7
6. Knibbs, R. H. and J. B. Morris, "The effects of fiber orientation on the physical properties of composite," Composites, Vol. 5, No. 5, 209-218, 1974. doi:10.1016/0010-4361(74)90141-4
7. Valeau, A. R., "Eddy current nondestructive testing of graphite Eddy current nondestructive testing of graphite," Mater. Eval., Vol. 48, 230-239, 1990.
8. Owston, C. N., "Eddy current methods for the examination of carbon fiber reinforced epoxy resins," Mater. Eval., Vol. 34, 237-244, 1976.
9. Angelidis, N. E., N. Khemiri, and P. E. Irving, "Experimental and finite element study of the electrical potential technique for damage detection in CFRP laminates," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 14, 147-154, A. Tescher, Ed., 2005. doi:10.1088/0964-1726/14/1/014
10. Theodoulidis, T. P., "Model of ferrite-cored probes for eddy-current non-destructive evaluation," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, 3071-3078, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1543634
11. Cacciola, M., G. Megali, D. Pellicanò, S. Calcagno, M. Versaci, and F. C. Morabito, "Modelling and validating Ferrite-core probes for GMR-Eddy current testing in metallic plates," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 3, 237-241, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS090910070900
12. Ponomarev, V. and A. Pogrebniak, "Image enhancement by homomorphic filters," Proc. SPIE, Applications of Digital Image Processing XVIII , Vol. 2564, 153, 1995.
13. Briggs, A., "Review: Carbon fibre-reinforced cement," J. Mater. Sci., Vol. 12, 384-404, 1977. doi:10.1007/BF00566282
14. Veron, S. N., "A single-aided eddy current method to measure electrical resistivity," Mater. Eval., Vol. 46, 1581-1589, 1988.
15. Moulder, J. C., E. Uzal, and J. H. Rose, "Thickness and conductivity of metallic layers from eddy current measurements," Rev. Sci. Instrum.,, Vol. 63, 3455-3465, 1992. doi:10.1063/1.1143749
16. Prakash, R., "Non-destructive testing techniques,", New Age Science LTD, United Kingdom, 2009.
17. Cacciola, M., S. Calcagno, G. Megali, F. C. Morabito, D. Pellicanò, and M. Versaci, "FEA design and misfit minimization for in-depth flaw characterization in metallic plates with eddy current nondestructive testing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 3, 1506-1509, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012691
18. Cacciola, M., S. Calcagno, G. Megali, D. Pellicanò, M. Versaci, and F. C. Morabito, "Eddy current modelling in composite materials," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 6, 591-595, 2009.
19. Cacciola, M., S. Calcagno, G. Megali, D. Pellicanò, M. Versaci, and F. C. Morabito, "Numerical simulations on Eddy currents evaluation at high speed in CFRP," Proceedings of the Third Euro Mediterranean Symposium on Advances in Geomaterials and Structures, AGS 2010, Vol. 1, 217-227, 2010.
20. Tsuboi, H. and T. Misaki, "Three dimensional analysis of eddy current distribution by the boundary element method using vector variables," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 26, No. 2, 454-457, 1990. doi:10.1109/20.106351
21. Weissenburger, D. and U. R. Christensen, "A network mesh method to calculate eddy current on conducting surfaces," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 18, No. 2, 422-425, 1982. doi:10.1109/TMAG.1982.1061879
22. Pratap, B. and W. F. Weldon, "Eddy currents in anisotropic composites applied to pulsed machinery," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 32, No. 2, 437-444, 1996. doi:10.1109/20.486530
23. Dogaru, T. and S. T. Smith, "Giant magnetoresistance-based Eddy-current sensor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 37, No. 5, 3836-3838, 2001. doi:10.1109/20.952754
24. Gonzales, R. C. and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Addison Wesley, 1993.
25. Gonzales, R. C. and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing Using Matlab, Addison Wesley, 1996.
26. Umbaugh, S. E., Computer Imaging: Digital Image Analysis and Processing, CRC Press, Florida, 2005.