Bistatic multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar can improve the system performance for obtaining the waveform diversity and larger degrees of freedom (DoF), and effectively counteract the stealthy target for its transmit antennas and receive antennas separated placement. Similarly with the conventional bistatic radar, the geometry configurations of bistatic MIMO radar also play an important role in radar system's performance. Aimed at considering these effects of geometry configurations on the performance for bistatic MIMO radar, in this paper the extended ambiguity function is defined as the coherent cumulation of the matching output of all channels, where the information of the system geometry configuration is included in the received signal model. This new ambiguity function can be used to characterize the local and global resolution properties of the whole radar systems instead of only considering transmitted waveforms in Woodward's. In addition, some examples with the varying system configurations or target parameters are given to illustrate their effects, where the spatial stepped-frequency signal set (a quasi-orthogonal waveform set) is used. The simulation results demonstrate that the more approaching to monostatic MIMO radar case, the better ambiguity properties of time-delay and Doppler for bistatic MIMO radar.
"Effects of Geometry Configurations on Ambiguity Properties for Bistatic MIMO Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 30, 117-133, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11032803
1. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with colocated antennas: Review of some recent work," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 24, No. 5, 106-114, 2007. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.904812
2. Haimovich, A. M., R. S. Blum, and L. Cimini, "MIMO radar with widely separated antennas," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 25, No. 1, 116-129, 2008. doi:10.1109/MSP.2008.4408448
3. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091607
4. Qu, Y., G. S. Liao, S. Q. Zhu, X. Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062306
5. Mallahzadeh, A. R., S. Es'haghi, and A. Alipour, "Design of an E-shaped MIMO antenna using IWO algorithm for wireless application at 5.8 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 187-203, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08122704
7. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, "MIMO radar: An idea whose time has come," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 71-78, 2004.
8. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high snr scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06072803
9. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, "Performance of MIMO radar systems: Advantages of angular diversity," Proc. 38th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Comput., Vol. 1, 305-309, 2004.
10. Huang, Y., P. V. Brennan, D. Patrick, I. Weller, P. Roberts, and K. Hughes, "FMCW based MIMO imaging radar for maritime navigation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 327-342, 2011.
11. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, "Spatial diversity in radarsmodels and detection performance," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 54, 823-838, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.862813
12. Bliss, D. W. and K. W. Forsythe, "Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar and imaging: Degrees of freedom and resolution," Proc. 37th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Comput., Vol. 1, 54-59, 2003.
13. Chou, H.-T., H.-C. Cheng, H.-T. Hsu, and L.-R. Kuo, "Investigations of isolation improvement techniques for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) WLAN portable terminal applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 349-366, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08090905
14. Forsythe, K., D. Bliss, and G. Fawcett, "Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar: Performance issues," Proc. 38th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Comput., Vol. 1, 310-315, 2004.
15. Fuhrmann, D. R. and G. S. Antonio, "Transmit beamforming for MIMO radar systems using partial signal correlation," Proc. 38th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Comput., 295-299, 2004.
16. Bencheikh, M. L. and Y. Wang, "Combined ESPRIT-Rootmusic for DOA-DOD estimation in polarimetric bistatic MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 109-117, 2011.
17. Bekkerman, I. and J. Tabrikian, "Target detection and localization using MIMO radars and sonars," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 54, 3873-3883, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.879267
18. Robey, F. C., S. Coutts, D. Weikle, J. C. McHarg, and K. Cuomo, "MIMO radar theory and exprimental results," Proc. 38th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Syst. Comput., Vol. 1, 300-304, 2004.
19. Abouda, A. A., H. M. El-Sallabi, and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of antenna array geometry and ULA azimuthal orientation on MIMO Channel properties in urban city street grid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 257-278, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06050801
20. Jin, M., G. Liao, and J. Li, "Joint DOD and DOA estimation for bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing , Vol. 89 , 244-251, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2008.08.003
21. Yan, H., J. Li, and G. Liao, "Multi-target identification and localization using bistatic MIMO radar systems," EURASIP J. Adv. Signal Processing, 2008.
22. Bencheikh, M. L., Y. D. Wang, and H. Y. He, "Polynomial root ¯nding technique for joint DOA DOD estimationin bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 90, 2723-2730, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2010.03.023
23. Chen, J. L., H. Gu, and W. M. Su, "A new method for joint DOD and DOA estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 90, 714-718, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2009.08.003
24. Woodward, P., Probability and Information Theory, with Applications to Radar, Pergamon, New York, 1957.
25. Rendas, M. J. D. and J. M. F. Moura, "Ambiguity in radar and sonar," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-305, 1998. doi:10.1109/78.655416
26. Urkowitz, H., C. Hauer, and J. Koval, "Generalized resolution in radar systems," Proc. IRE, Vol. 50, 2093-2105, Oct. 1962. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1962.288247
27. Tsao, T., M. Slamani, P. Varahney, D. Weiner, H. Schwarzlander, and S. Borer, "Ambiguity function for a bistatic radar," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electron. Syst., Vol. 33, No. 3, 1041-1051, 1997. doi:10.1109/7.599331
28. Antonio, G. S., D. R. Fuhrmann, and F. C. Robey, "MIMO radar ambiguity functions," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Processing, Vol. 1, No. 1, 167-177, 2007. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2007.897058
29. Yang, C. C. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "MIMO radar ambiguity properties and optimization using frequency-hopping waveforms," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 12, 5926-5936, 2008. doi:10.1109/TSP.2008.929658
30. Willis, N. J., Bistatic Radar, SciTech Publishing Inc., 2005.
31. Hawkes, M. and A. Nehorai, "Effects of sensor placement on acoustic vector-sensor array performance," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng., Vol. 24, 33-40, 1999. doi:10.1109/48.740154
32. Baysal, U. and L. Moses, "On the geometry of isotropic arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, 1469-1478, 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.811227