In this paper, a two-dimensional (2D) diffraction tomographic algorithm based on the first order Born approximation is proposed for the imaging of hidden targets behind the wall. The spectral expansion of the three layered background medium Green's function is employed to derive a linear relationship between the spatial Fourier transforms of the image and the received scattered field. Then the image can be efficiently reconstructed with inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT). The linearization of the inversion scheme and the easy implementation of the algorithm with FFT/IFFT make the diffraction tomographic algorithm suitable in through-the-wall radar imaging (TWRI) applications concerning the diagnostics of large probed domain and allow real-time processing. Numerical and experimental results are provided to show the effectiveness and high efficiency of the proposed diffraction tomographic algorithm for TWRI.
"Two-Dimensional Diffraction Tomographic Algorithm for through
-the-Wall Radar Imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 31, 205-218, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11042207
1. Dehmollaian, M. and K. Sarabandi, "Refocusing through building walls using synthetic aperture radar," EEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 6, 1589-1599, 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.916212
2. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and C. Thajudeen, "Polarimetric through-the-wall imaging," 2010 URSI International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS), 471-474, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
3. Dogaru, T. and C. Le, "SAR images of rooms and buildings based on FDTD computer models," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1388-1401, 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2013841
4. Muqaibel, A., A. Safaai-Jazi, A. Bayram, A. Attiya, and S. Riad, "Ultra-wideband through-the-wall propagation," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng.-Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 6, 581-588, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20050092
5. Baranoski, E. J., "Through wall imaging: Historical perspective and future directions," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 5173-5176, 2008. doi:10.1109/ICASSP.2008.4518824
6. Dogaru, T. and C. Le, "SAR images of rooms and buildings based on FDTD computer models," EEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1388-1401, 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2013841
7. Ahmad, F. and M. G. Amin, "Noncoherent approach to through-the-wall radar localization," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 4, 1405-1419, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAES.2006.314581
8. Ahmad, F., M. G. Amin, and S. A. Kassam, "Synthetic aperture beamformer for imaging through a dielectric wall," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 41, 271-283, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAES.2005.1413761
9. Soldovieri, F. and R. Solimene, "Through-wall imaging via a linear inverse scattering algorithm," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sensing Lett., Vol. 4, No. 4, 513-517, 2007. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2007.900735
10. Song, L. P., C. Yu, and Q. H. Liu, "Through-wall imaging (TWI) by radar: 2-D tomographic results and analyses," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 12, 2793-2798, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.857914
11. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal music method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10052408
12. Wolf, E., "Three-dimensional structure determination of semi-transparent objects from holography data," Opt. Commun., Vol. 1, 153-156, 1969. doi:10.1016/0030-4018(69)90052-2
13. Deming, R. and A. J. Devaney, "Diffraction tomography for multi-monostatic ground penetrating radar imaging," Inverse Problems, Vol. 13, 29-45, 1997. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/13/1/004
14. Hansen, T. B. and P. M. Johansen, "Inversion scheme for monostatic ground penetrating radar that takes into account the planar air-soil interface," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, 496-506, 2000. doi:10.1109/36.823944
15. Cui, T. J. and W. C. Chew, "Novel diffraction tomographic algorithm for imaging two-dimensional dielectric objects buried under a lossy earth ," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, 2033-2041, 2001.
16. Cui, T. J. and W. C. Chew, "Diffraction tomographic algorithm for the detection of three-dimensional objects buried in a lossy half space ,", Vol. 50, 42-49, 2002.