This paper presents a development of a wideband delta-sigma modulator for fully digital GHz transmitters. The fully digital RF transmitter is developed as a promising solution for software defined radio (SDR) terminals and applications. The fully digital transmitter consists of a delta-sigma modulator, a high-speed multiplexer and a switching-mode power amplifier. The speed limitation of delta-sigma modulator is the main limitation to increase the signal bandwidth in fully digital transmitters. In this paper, the bandwidth of the fully digital transmitter is increased 8 times using parallel processing time-interleaved architecture, while maintaining the same signal quality. This architecture was implemented on FPGA and tested for different standards (WiMAX and LTE) with a signal bandwidth up to 8 MHz. The concept was assessed in terms of SNDR by using a differential logic analyzer at the output of FPGA, and the SNDR was found to be around 60 dB.
Mohammad Mojtaba Ebrahimi,
Fadhel M. Ghannouchi,
"Time-Interleaved Delta-Sigma Modulator for Wideband Digital GHz
Transmitters Design and SDR Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 34, 263-281, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11071205
1. Miller, S. L. and R. J. O'Dea, "Peak power and bandwidth efficient linear modulation," IEEE Trans. Comm., Vol. 46, No. 12, 1639-1648, Dec. 1998. doi:10.1109/26.737402
2. Shameli, A., A. Safarian, A. Rofougaran, M. Rofougaran, and F. de Flaviis, "A two-point modulation technique for CMOS power amplifier in polar transmitter architecture," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 56, No. 1, 31-38, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912012
3. Kimball, D. F., J. Jeong, C. Hsia, P. Draxler, S. Lanfranco, W. Nagy, K. Linthicum, L. E. Larson, and P. M. Asbeck, "High-efficiency envelope-tracking W-CDMA base-station amplifier using GaN HFETs," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3848-3856, Nov. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.884685
4. Hietakangas, S., T. Rautio, and T. Rahkonen, "One GHz class E RF power amplifier for a polar transmitter," Springer Journal on Analog Integr. Circ. Sig Process., Vol. 54, No. 2, 85-94, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10470-007-9109-x
5. Choi, J., J. Yim, J. Yang, J. Kim, J. Cha, D. Kang, D. Kim, and B. Kim, "A -digitized polar RF transmitter," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2679-2690, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.907137
6. Jayaraman, P., F. Chen, G. Hanington, L. Larson, and P. Asbeck, "Linear high-e±ciency microwave power amplifiers using bandpass delta-sigma modulators," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 3, 121-123, Mar. 1998. doi:10.1109/75.661135
7. Johnson, T., and S. P. Stapleton, "RF class-D amplification with bandpass sigma-delta modulator drive signals," IEEE TCAS-I, Vol. 53, No. 12, 2507-2520, Dec. 2006.
8. Nielsen, M. and T. Larsen, "A transmitter architecture based on delta-sigma modulation and switch-mode power amplification," IEEE TCAS-II: Express Briefs, Vol. 54, No. 8, 735-739, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2007.899457
9. Jerng, A. and C. G. Sodini, "A wideband digital-RF modulator for high data rate transmitters," IEEE JSSC, Vol. 42, No. 8, 1710-1722, Aug. 2007.
10. Helaoui, M., S. Hatami, R. Negra, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "A novel architecture of delta-sigma modulator enabling all-digital multiband multistandard RF transmitters design," IEEE TCAS-II Technical Briefs, Vol. 55, No. 11, 1129-1133, Nov. 2008.
11. Helaoui, M., S. Boumaiza, F. M. Ghannouchi, A. B. Kouki, and A. Ghazel, "A new mode-multiplexing LINC architecture to boost the e±ciency of WiMAX up-link transmitters," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 55, No. 2, 248-253, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.889318
12. Jheng, K., Y. Chen, and A. Wu, "Multilevel LINC system designs for power efficiency enhancement of transmitters," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 3, No. 3, 523-532, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2009.2020949
13. Ebrahimi, M. M., M. Helaoui, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Analytical approach to optimize the efficiency of switching mode pas loaded with distributed matching networks," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 57-67, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0037
14. Schreider, R. and G. C. Temes, Understanding Delta-sigma Data Converters, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
15. Tsui, J. B., Digital Techniques for Wideband Receivers, 2nd Ed., SciTECH, 2004.
16. Pellon, L. E., "A double nyquist digital product detector for quadrature sampling," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 7, 1670-1681, Jul. 1992. doi:10.1109/78.143439
17. Aziz, P., H. Sorensen, and J. van der Spiegel, "Multiband sigma-delta modulation," Electronics Letters, 760-762, Apr. 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19930509
18. Galton, I. and H. T. Jensen, "Delta-sigma modulator based A/D conversion without oversampling," IEEE TCAS-II, Vol. 42, No. 12, 773-784, Dec. 1995.
19. Khoini-Poorfard, R., L. B. Lim, and D. A. Johns, "Time-interleaved oversampling A/D converters: Theory and practice," IEEE TCAS-II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 44, 634-645, Aug. 1997.
19. Kozak, M., M. Karaman, and I. Kale, "Efficient architectures for time-interleaved oversampling delta-sigma converters," IEEE TCAS-II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 8, 802-810, Aug. 2000.
21. Kozak, M. and I. Kale, Oversampled Delta-sigma Modulators Analysis, Applications and Novel Topologies, 1st Ed., Springer, 2003.
23. Breems, L. J., R. Rutten, and G. Wetzker, "A cascaded continuous-time modulator with 67-dB dynamic range in 10-MHz bandwidth," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 39, No. 12, 2152-2160, Dec. 2004. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2004.836245
24. Balmelli, P. and Q. Huang, "A 25-MS/s 14-B 200-mW modulator in 0.18-¹m CMOS," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 39, No. 12, 2161-2169, Dec. 2004. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2004.836240
25. Paton, S., A. di Giandomenico, L. Hernandez, A. Wiesbauer, T. Potscher, and M. Clara, "A 70-mW 300-MHz CMOS continuous-time ADC with 15-MHz bandwidth and 11 bits of resolution," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1056-1063, Jul. 2004. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2004.829925
26. Caldwell, T. C. and D. A. Johns, "A time-interleaved continuous-time modulator with 20-MHz signal bandwidth," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 7, 1578-1588, Jul. 2006. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2006.873889
27. Crombez, P., G. van der Plas, M. S. J. Steyaert, and J. Craninckx, "A single-bit 500 kHz 10MHz multimode power-performance scalable 83-to-67 dB DR CT for SDR in 90nm digital CMOS ," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 45, No. 6, 1159-1171, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2010.2046230