Compact K-Band CMOS baluns are designed, fabricated and characterized in a 130 nm CMOS technology. These baluns include a tunable active balun, a L-C lumped element balun, and two asymmetric planar transformer baluns. The detailed design processes are presented, including the topology selection, the transistor, inductor and transformer sizing, and the layout considerations. These topologies are compared in various aspects such as insertion loss, phase and amplitude imbalance, bandwidth, chip area, power consumption, and the difficulty to design and integration. An impedance tuning approach is implemented to chose the proper balun topology and to simply the balun integration. The baluns are on-wafer characterized and the measurement results compare the state-of-the-art realizations..
1. Rao, , P. Z., T. Y. Chang, C. P. Liang, and S. J. Chung, "An ultra-wideband high-linearity CMOS mixer with new wideband active baluns," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2184-2192, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2027079
2. Wei, , C. C., H. C. Chiu, H. C. Hsu, W. S. Feng, and J. S. Fu, , "Fully integrated 24 GHz differential active sub-harmonic mixer locate in CMOS multi-layer Marchand balunsd," IET Microw. Antenna Prop., Vol. 4, No. 11, 1789-1798, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0092
3. Jeong, J. C., I. B. Yom, and K. W. Yeom, , "An active IF balun for a doubly balanced resistive mixer," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett.,, Vol. 19, No. 4, 224-226, , 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2015503
4. Trotta, , S., H. Li, V. P. Trivedi, and J. John, "A tunable flipflop-based frequency divider up to 113 GHz and a fully differential 77 GHz push-push VCO in SiGe BiCMOS technology," IEEE RFIC Symposium, 47-50, , 2009.
5. Chen, H. K., , H. J. Chen, D. C. Chang, Y. Z. Juang, Y. C. Yang, and S. S. Lu, "A mm-wave CMOS multimode frequency divider," IEEE ISSCC 2009 , 280-281, 2009..
6. Afsahi, , A., A. Behzad, V. Magoon, and L. E. Larson, , "Fully integrated dual-band power amplifiers with on-chip baluns in 65nm CMOS for an 802.11n MIMO WLAN SoC," IEEE RFIC Symposium, 365-368, , 2009.
7. Kidwai, , A. A., A. Nazimov, Y. Eilat, and O. Degani, "Fully integrated 23dBm transmit chain with on-chip power amplifier and balun for 802.11a application in standard 45nm CMOS process," IEEE RFIC Symposium, 273-276, , 2009.
8. Lin, , C.-M., C.-C. Su, S.-H. Hung, and Y.-H. Wang, , "A compact balun based on microstrip EBG cell and interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, , 111-118, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09092904
9. Yeh, , Z.-Y. , Y.-C. Chiang, and , "A miniature CPW balun constructed with length-reduced 3 dB couples and a short redundant transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, , 195-208, , 2011.
10. Persico, , R., , N. Romano, and F. Soldovieri, , "Design of a balun for a bow tie antenna in reconfigurable ground penetrating radar systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 123-135, 2011..
11. Shao, , J., , H. C. Zhang, C. Chen, S. Tan, and K. J. Chen, "A compact dual-band coupled-line balun with tapped open-ended stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, , 109-122, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11050205
12. Ji, , Y., , C. Wang, J. Liu, and H. Liao, "1.8 dB NF 3.6mW CMOS active balun low noise amplifier for GPS," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 3, , 251-252, , 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3091
13. Mastantuono, , D., D. Manstretta, and , "A low-noise active balun with IM2 cancellation for multiband portable DVB-H receivers," IEEE ISSCC, 216-217, , 2009.
14. Godara, , B. and A. Fabre, "A highly compact active wideband balun with impedance transformation in SiGe BiCMOS," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 22-30, , 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.911932
15. Jung, , K., , W. R. Eisenstadt, R. M. Fox, A. W. Ogden, and J. Yoon, "Broadband active balun using combined cascode-cascade configuration," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 8, 1790-1796, , 2008.. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.927306
16. Huang, , B. J., B. J. Huang, K. Y. Lin, and H. Wang, , "A 2--40 GHz active balun using 0.13 um CMOS process," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 3, 164-166, , 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2013740
17. Chiou, H. K., H. H. Lin, and C. Y. Chang, "Lumped-element compensated high/low-pass balun design for MMIC double-balanced mixer," IEEE Microw. and Guided Wave Letters,, Vol. 7, No. 8, 248-250, , 1997.. doi:10.1109/75.605493
18. Long, , J. R., , "Monolithic transformers for silicon RF IC design," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, No. 9, 1368-1382, , 2000. doi:10.1109/4.868049
19. Hsu, , H. M., , J. S. Huang, S. Y. Chen, and S. H. Lai, , "Design of an on-chip balun with a minimum amplitude imbalance using a symmetric stack layout," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 4, 814-819, , 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2041590
20. Chiou, , H. K. , T. Y. Yang, and , "Low-loss and broadband asymmetric broadside-coupled balun for mixer design in 0.18 um CMOS technology," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 4, 835-848, , 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.919053
21. Huang, , C. H., , C. H. Chen, and T. S. Horng, "Design of integrated planar Marchand balun using physical transformer model," Asia Paci¯c Microw. Conf. , 1004-1007, 2009. doi:10.1109/APMC.2009.5384349
22. Chiang, M. J., , H. S. Wu, and C. K. C. Tzuang, , "A compact CMOS Marchand balun incorporating meandered multilayer edge-coupled transmission lines," Microwave Symposium Digest 2009, 125-128, 2009. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2009.5165648
23. Yang, Z. Q., T. Yang, and Y. Liu, , "Analysis and design of a reduced-size marchand balun," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, , No. 9, 1169-1175, , 2007.
24. Ercoli, M., , M. Kraemer, D. Dragomirescu, and R. Plana, , "An ultra small passive balun for 60 GHz applications in CMOS 65nm technology," NEWCAS Conference 2010 , 329-332, 2010. doi:10.1109/NEWCAS.2010.5604025
25. Niknejad, , A. M., , "Modeling of passive elements with ASITIC," Microwave Symposium Digest 2002 , 149-152, , 2002.
26. Shu, , R., , V. Subramanian, and G. Boeck, , "Millimeter-wave static frequency divider in 0.13-m CMOS technology," NEWCAS Conference 2011, 2011.
27. Yu, , H. Y., S. S. Choi, S. H. Kim, and Y. H. Kim, "K-Band balun with slot pattern ground for wide operation using 0.18 um CMOS technology," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 5, 51-52, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20070092