A novel Ku-band push-push dielectric resonator oscillator (DRO) using substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power combiner is presented. Compared with the traditional push-push oscillator, the proposed push-push DRO can realize high fundamental harmonic suppression, due to the use of a SIW power combiner, whose cut-off frequency is designed within the range of the fundamental and second harmonic frequency. Moreover, the isolation of two fundamental frequency oscillators can be enhanced, while the power combiner operates at the second harmonic frequency to maximize the output power. As shown in the experimental results, the centre frequency of push-push DRO is 14 GHz, with a frequency tuning range of 30 MHz. The suppression of the fundamental frequency is 28.59 dBc while the third harmonic suppression is 22.54 dBc, respectively. Furthermore, the phase noise can achieve -98.01 dBc/Hz at 100 kHz offset from the centre frequency.
1. Sinnesbichler, F. X., "Hybrid millimeter-wave push-push oscillators using silicon-germanium HBTs," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 422-430, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807836
2. Xia, Q., Z. X. Tang, and B. Zhang, "A Ku-band push-push dielectric resonator oscillator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14--15, 1859-1866, 2010.
3. Pavio, A. M. and M. A. Smith, "A 20--40 GHz push-push dielectric resonator oscillator," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1346-1349, 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133224
4. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807820
5. Lin, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB Vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020503
6. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
7. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2004.
8. Germain, S., D. Deslandes, and K.Wu, Development of substrate integrated waveguide power dividers, Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, IEEE CCECE, Vol. 3, 1921-1924, Canada, 2003.
9. Hirokawa, J., K. Sakurai, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "An analysis of a waveguide T junction with an inductive post," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 39, No. 3, 563-566, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.75301
10. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839303