This paper deals with several aspects relative to the Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) propagation channel. Measurement campaigns, made in a real gold mine at 2.4 GHz under line-of-sight (LOS) and non-line-of-sight (NLOS) scenarios, have been analyzed to obtain the relevant statistical parameters of the channel. It was shown that the MIMO exploit the multipath propagation in rich scattering environment to increase the capacity. Hence, the channel is characterized in terms of K-factor, path loss, shadowing, and capacity. Results show a propagation behavior that is specific for these underground environments with rough surfaces.
Ismail Ben Mabrouk,
"Experimental Characterization of a Wireless MIMO Channel at 2.4 GHz
in Underground Mine Gallery," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 29, 97-106, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11122904
1. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Pers. Commun. , Vol. 6, 311-335, Mar. 1998. doi:10.1023/A:1008889222784
2. Foschini, G. J., "Layered space-time architecture for wireless communication in a fading environment when using multielement antennas," Bell Labs Tech. J., 41-59, Autumn 1996.
3. Telatar, E., "Capacity of multiantenna gaussian channels," Tech. Memo., AT & T Bell Laboratories, Jun. 1995.
4. Raleigh, G. and J. M. Cioffi, "Spatial-temporal coding for wireless ommunications," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 46, 357-366, 1998. doi:10.1109/26.662641
5. Bolcskei, H., D. Gesbert, and A. J. Paulraj, "On the capacity of OFDM based spatial multiplexing systems ," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 50, 225-234, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/26.983319
6. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J.-M., M. Lienard, E. Simon, and P. Degauque, "On the possibility of applying polarization diversity in tunnels ," Proc. MSWIM Conf., 392-395, Tenerife, Spain, Oct. 26-30, 2009.
7. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J. M. , J.-V. Rodriguez, and L. Juan-Llacer, "Polarized indoor MIMO channel measurements at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3818-3828, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005542
8. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J. M. , M. Lienard, A. Nasr, and P. Degauque, "On the possibility of interpreting field variations and polarization in arched tunnels using a model for propagation in rectangular or circular tunnels," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 4, 1206-1211, Apr. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919220
9. Lienard, M., P. Degauque, J. Baudet, and D. Degardin, "Investigation on MIMO channels in subway tunnels," IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 332-339, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2003.809627
10. Lienard, M. and P. Degauque, "Propagation in wide tunnels at 2 GHz: A statistical analysis," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 47, 283-296, Feb. 1998.
11. Rappaport, T. S. , S. Y. Seidel, and K. Takamizawa, "Statistical channel impulse response models for factory and open plan building radio communicate system design," IEEE Transactions an Communications, Vol. 39, No. 5, 794-807, May 1991. doi:10.1109/26.87142
12. Sarris, I. and A. R. Nix, "Ricean K-factor measurements in a home and an o±ce environment in the 60 GHz band," Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit, 2007.
13. Benedetto, F., G. Giunta, A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Dynamic LOS/NLOS statistical discrimination of wireless mobile channels," IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference, 3071-3075, Spring, 2007. doi:10.1109/VETECS.2007.629
14. Tang, Z. and A. S. Mohan, "Experimental investigation of indoor MIMO Ricean channel capacity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 55-58, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.844144
15. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications: Principles & Practice, Upper Saddle River, NJ, Prentice Hall PTR, 1996.
16. Emslie, A. G., R. L. Lagace, and P. F. Strong, "Theory of the propagation of UHF radio waves in coal mine tunnels," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 23, 92-205, Mar. 1975.
17. Mariage, P. , M. Lienard, and P. Degauque, "Theoretical and experimental approach of the propagation of high frequency waves in road tunnels," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, 75-81, Jan. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.272304
18. Lienard, M. and P. Degauque, "Propagation in wide tunnels at 2 GHz: A statistical analysis," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 47, 283-296, Feb. 1998.
19. Rissafi , Y., L. Talbi, and M. Ghaddar, "Experimental characterization of an UWB propagation channel in underground mines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2011.
20. Shinozaki, S., M. Wada, A. Teranishi, H. Furukawa, and Y. Akaiwa, "Radio propagation characteristics in subway platform and tunnel in 2.5 GHz band," Indoor and Mobile Radio Commun., 1175-1179, Sep. 1995.
21. Foschini, G. J. and J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 6, No. 3, 315-335, Mar. 1996.