Magnetic induction tomography (MIT) is a contactless measurement technique of biological tissue conductivity. In this study, the differential induced voltage equations are shown in single layer and n layers models. The paper describes a 16 channels MIT measurement system with working frequency of 1MHz, which can image the plan of low conductivity object. According to physical experiments, the sensitivity is about 0.29°/S·m-1, and the maximum shift of the phase noise is 0.08°. Some preliminary clinical experiments were done, including 2 cases of meningitis and 5 cases of brain normal patients. The comparison of all the measured values shows that all values are smaller than 1.7° in the brain normal cases, but the values of meningitis cases are more than 2°, higher than those of brain normal patients. Therefore, the MIT measurement system has great application prospect in dynamically monitoring the brain diseases.
Hai Jun Luo,
"Preliminary Results on Brain Monitoring of Meningitis Using 16 Channels Magnetic Induction Tomography Measurement System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 24, 57-68, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM12021406
1. Xu, , Z. , W. He, C.-H. He, and Z.-L. Zhang, "Study on the principles and system of measurement biological tissue conductivity with magnetic induction method," Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, Vol. 29, No. 9, 1878-1882, 2008.
2. He, W., C.-Y. Luo, and Z. Xu, Electrical Impedance Tomography Principle, Science Press, Beijing, 2009.
3. Ma, L., H.-Y. Wei, and M. Soleimani, "Pipelines inspection using magnetic induction tomography based on a narrowband pass filtering method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 65-78, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM11111109
4. Wei, H.-Y. and M. Soleimani, "Three-dimensional magnetic induction tomography imaging using a matrix free Krylov subspace inversion algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 29-45, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11091513
5. Chen, Y.-Y., X. Wang, Y. Lv, and D. Yang, "An image reconstruction algorithm based on Tikhonov and variation regularization for magnetic induction tomography," Journal of Northeastern University, Vol. 32, No. 4, 460-463, 2011.
6. Holder, D. S. and H. Griffiths, Magnetic induction tomography Electrical Impedance Tomography: Methods, History and Applications, Chapter 8, 213-238, IOP Publishing, 2005.
7. Griffiths, H., W. R. Stewart, and W. Gough, "Magnetic induction tomography: A measuring system for biological tissues," Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 873, 335-345, 1999. doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.1999.tb09481.x
8. Korjenevsky, A., V. Cherepenin, and S. Sapetsky, "Magnetic induction tomography: Experimental realization," Physiol. Meas., Vol. 21, No. 1, 89-94, 2000. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/21/1/311
9. Scharfetter, H., H. K. Lackner, and J. Rosell, "Magnetic induction tomography: Hardware for multi-frequency measurement in biological tissues," Physiol. Meas., Vol. 22, 131-146, 2001. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/22/1/317
10. Watson, S., R. J. Williams, and H. Griffiths, "The Cardiff magnetic induction tomography system," Proc. Int. Fed. Med. Biol. Eng. EMBEC02, 116-117, Vienna, Austria, Dec. 4-8, 2002.
11. Riedel, C. H. and O. Dossel, "Planar system for magnetic induction impedance measurement," 4th Conference on Biomedical Applications of Electrical Impedance Tomography, 23-25, UMIST, Manchester, Apr. 32, 2003.
12. Riedel, C. H., M. Keppelen, S. Nani, and O. Dossel, "Planar system for magnetic induction tomography using a sensor matrix," Physiol. Meas., Vol. 25, 403-411, 2004. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/25/1/043
13. Rosell-Ferrer, J., R. Merwa, P. Brunner, and H. Scharfetter, "A multi-frequency magnetic induction tomography system using planar gradiometers: Data collection and calibration," Physiol. Meas., Vol. 27, 271-280, 2006. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/27/5/S23
14. Dodd, C. V. and W. E. Deeds, "Analytical solutions to eddy-current probe coil problems," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 39, No. 6, 2829-2838, 1968. doi:10.1063/1.1656680
16. Wang, K., P.-C. He, Y. Dong, and L. Chen, "The application of cluster analysis and inverse distance weighted interpolation to appraising the water quality of three forks lake," Procedia Environmental Sciences, Vol. 10, 2511-2517, 2011.
17. Watson, S., R. J. Williams, H. Griffiths, W. Gough, and A. Morris, "Frequency downconversion and phase noise in MIT," Physiol. Meas., Vol. 23, 189-194, 2002. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/23/1/319