Applications of permanent magnets bearings have gained a new interest thanks to the development of rare earth materials, characterised by residual magnetic induction greater than 1 T. The present paper proposes a new geometry for permanent magnets bearings with V-shaped elements, both for a plane slide and for cylindrical bearings. The aim of this geometry is to give new possibilities to the application of these bearing systems, by reducing its inherent instability. A design method, involving Finite Elements and Magnetic Field Integral Equations analyses, is also described for defining the most suitable V-opening angle and the two magnetisation directions. These parameters can be varied in order to reduce the unstable force in the coupling, and to reach the desired force and stiffness in the stable direction. The design is founded on the evaluation of four ``geometric'' vectors, that depend on the geometry of the elements. Some results are reported for a reference geometry for both the slide and the cylindrical bearings.
Francesca Di Puccio,
"Permanent Magnet Bearings: Analysis of Plane and Axisymmetric V-Shaped Element Design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 26, 205-223, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM12091406
1. Donald, F., "A passive magnetic-thrust bearing for energy-storage fly wheels," ASLE Trans., Vol. 25, No. 1, 7-16, 1980.
2. Hull, R. J., "Attractive levitation for high-speed ground transport with large guideway clearance and alternating gradient stabilization," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 25, No. 5, 3272-3274, 1989.
3. Jayawant, B. V., Electromagnetic Levitation and Suspension Systems, E. J. Arnold, 1981.
4. Parker, J. R., "Advance Permanent Magnetism," Wiley & Sons, 1990.
5. Fukunaga, H. and Y. Kanai, "Modelling of nano-crystalline magnets using mcromagnetic theory," Proc. X Int. Congr. Magn., 237-250, 1998.
6. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, M. Tucci, and V. M. Matrosov, "A new passive Maglev system based on eddy current stabilization," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 3, 984-987, 2009.
7. Yonnet, J. P., "Permanent magnet bearings and couplings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 17, No. 1, 1169-1173, 1981.
8. Bassani, R. and S. Villani, "Passive magnetic bearings: The conic-shaped bearing," Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 213, No. 1, 151-161, 1999.
9. Bekinal, S. I., T. R. Anil, and S. Jana, "Analysis of axially magnetized permanent magnet bearing characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 327-343, 2012.
10. Babic, S. I. and C. Akyel, "Magnetic force between inclined circular loops (Lorentz approach)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 333-349, 2012.
11. Ausserlechner, U., "Closed analytical formulae for multi-pole magnetic rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 71-105, 2012.
12. Janssen, J. L. G., J. J. H. Paulides, and E. A. Lomonova, "Study of magnetic gravity compensator topologies using an abstraction in the analytical interaction equations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 75-90, 2012.
13. Babic, S. I., C. Akyel, F. Sirois, G. Lemarquand, R. Ravaud, and V. Lemarquand, "Calculation of the mutual inductance and the magnetic force between a thick circular coil of the rectangular cross section and a thin wall solenoid (Integro-Differential approach)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 220-237, 2011.
14. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, and V. Lemarquand, "Halbach structures for permanent magnets bearings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 14, 263-277, 2010.
15. Earnshaw, S., "On the nature of molecular forces which regulate the constitution of luminoferous ether," Trans. Comb. Phil. Soc., Vol. 7, 97-112, 1842.
16. Van der Heide, H., "Stabilization by oscillation," Philips Tech. Rev., Vol. 34, No. 273, 61-72, 1974.
17. Smythe, W. R., Static and Dynamic Electricity, Mc Graw Hill, 1959.
18. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, A. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Force and torque evaluation in hybrid FEM-MOM formulations," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 37, No. 5, 3108-3111, 2011.
19. Di Puccio, F., "Permanent magnet bearing design: Optimising the magnetisation direction," Int. Jour. Appl. Mech. and Eng.,, Vol. 9, No. 4, 655-674, 2004.
20. Musolino, A. and R. Rizzo, "Numerical analysis of brush commutation in helical coil electromagnetic launchers," IET Science, Measurement & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, 147-154, 2011.
21. Musolino, A. and R. Rizzo, "Numerical modeling of helical launchers," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 39, No. 3, 935-940, 2011.
22. Minciunescu, P., "Contributions to integral equation method for 3D magnetostatic problems," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 34, No. 5, 2461-2464, 1998.
23. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, E. Tripodi, and M. Toni, "Modeling of electromechanical devices by GPU-accelerated integral formulation," Int. J. Numer. Model., Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com),1-21, 2012,DOI:10.1002/jnm.1860 .
24. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, E. Tripodi, and M. Toni, "Acceleration of electromagnetic launchers modeling by using graphic processing unit," IEEE 16th EML Symposium Conference Proceedings, 1-6, Beijing, May 15-19, 2012.
25. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Numerical simulation of a complete generator-rail launch system," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 1, 369-374, 2005.
26. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Analysis of the performance of a combined coil-rail launcher," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 1, 103-107, 2003.
27. Bassani, R., E. Ciulli, F. Di Puccio, and A. Musolino, "Study of conic permanent magnets bearings," Meccanica, Vol. 36, No. 6, 745-754, 2001.