A time domain chipless RFID tag based on cascaded microstrip coupled transmission line sections (C-sections), which can operate in multi-frequency bands is presented. The group delay characteristics of the C-sections are exploited to generate the tag Identification (ID). The tag comprises cascaded commensurate group of C-sections and two cross-polarized ultra wide-band (UWB) antennas. Since the proposed tag can operate in multi-frequency, this paper proves the possibility of increasing the coding capacity compared to the existing time domain designs. A tag operating at ISM (Industrial Scientific and Medical) bands at 2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz together with conformance of frequency and power regulations is discussed elaborately. The proposed device is designed, prototyped and experimentally verified. The time domain characteristic of the tag is also validated experimentally by interrogating with a short pulse. Furthermore, measurement results obtained using a commercial UWB (Ultra Wide Band) radar which can be used a chipless RFID reader is also incorporated. The obtained results confirm the concept and the possibility of using temporal multi-frequency in chipless RFID.
Raji Sasidharan Nair,
"A Temporal Multi-Frequency Encoding Technique for Chipless RFID Based on C-Sections," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 49, 107-127, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12111508
1. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Design of compact and auto compensated single layer chipless RFID tag," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 9, 2913-2924, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2203927
2. Preradovic, S., I. Balbin, N. C. Karmakar, and G. F. Swiegers, "Multi resonator based chipless RFID system for low cost item tracking," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1411-1419, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017323
3. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Chipless RFID tag using hybrid coding technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3356-3364, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2171001
4. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Novel compact RFID chipless tag," PIERS Proceedings, 1062-1066, Marrakesh, Morocco, March 20-23, 2011.
5. Vena, A., T. Singh, E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Metallic letter identification based on radar approach," URSI GASS, Istanbul, Turkey, August 13-20, 2011.
6. Hartmann, C. S., "A global SAW ID tag with large data capacity," Proc. IEEE Ultrasonics Symp., 65-69, Munich, Germany, October 2002.
7. Zhang, L., S. Rodriguez, H. Tenhunen, and L. Zheng, "An innovative fully printable RFID technology based on high speed time-domain reflections," Proc. of International Conference on High Density Microsystems Design and Packaging and Component Failure Analysis, HDP' 06, Shanghai, China, June 27-30, 2006.
8. Zhang, L., S. Rodriguez, H. Tenhunen, and L. Zheng, "Design and implementation of a fully reconfigurable chipless RFID tag using Inkjet printing technology," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1524-1527, May 2008.
9. Chamarti, A. and K. Varahramyan, "Transmission delay line based ID generation circuit for RFID applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 11, 588-590, November 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.884897
10. Shrestha, S., M. Balachandran, M. Agarwal, V. V. Phoha, and K. Varahramyan, "A chipless RFID sensor system for cyber centric monitoring applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1303-1309, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017298
11. Venmagiri, J., A. Chamarti, M. Agarwal, and K. Varahramyan, "Transmission line delay based radio frequency identification tag," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter,, Vol. 49, No. 8, 1900-1904, August 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22599
12. Kalansuriya, P. and N. Karmakar, "Time domain analysis of a back scattering frequency signature based chipless RFID tag," Proc. of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 183-186, Melbourne, Australia, December 2011.
13. Schubler, M., C. Mandel, M. Maasch, A. Giere, and R. Jakoby, "Phase modulation scheme for chipless RFID- and wireless sensor tags," Proc. of APMC, 229-232, 2009.
14. Gupta, S., B. Nikfal, and C. Caloz, "Chipless RFID system based on group delay engineered dispersive delay structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1366-1368, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2178058
15. Nair, R., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Chipless RFID based on group delay encoding," IEEE International Conference on RFID Technologies and Applications (RFID-TA), 214-218, Barcelona, Spain, September 2011.
16. Nair, R., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Temporal multi-frequency encoding technique for chipless RFID applications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium IMS, Montreal, Canada, June 17-22, 2012.
18. Schiffman, B. M., "A new class of broad-band microwave 90-degree phase shifters," IRE Transactions of Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 6, No. 2, April 1958.
19. Cristal, E. G., "Analysis and exact synthesis of cascaded commensurate transmission-line C-section all-pass networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 14, 285-291, June 1966. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1966.1126251
20. Gupta, S., A. Parsa, E. Perret, R. V. Snyder, R. J. Wenzel, and C. Caloz, "Group delay engineered non-commensurate transmission line all-pass network for analog signal processing," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2392-2407, September 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2058933
21. Settaluri, R. K., et al. "Design of compact multi-level folded line RF couplers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 12, 2331-2339, December 1999. doi:10.1109/22.808979
22. Lam, H. J., Y. Lu, H. Du, P. M. Poman, and J. Bornemann, "Time-domain modeling of group-delay and amplitude characteristics in ultra wide band printed circuit antennas," Springer Proc. in Physics, Vol. 121, 321-331, 2008. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-68768-9_19
23. Ramos, A., A. Lazaro, D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Time domain measurement of time-coded UWB chipless RFID tags," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 116, 313-331, 2011.
24. Lazaro, A., A. Ramos, D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Chipless UWB RFID tag detection using continuous wavelet transform," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 10, 520-523, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2157299
25. Harma, S., V. P. Plessky, X. Li, and P. Hartogh, "Feasibility of ultrawideband SAWRFID tags meeting FCC rules," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect. Freq. Control, Vol. 56, No. 4, April 2009.