This paper discusses the characterization of landmine by using the electromagnetic induction technique (EMI). The proposed approach is based on the identification of the physical and geometrical properties of a landmine, from the sensor response. But in such an identification, the inverse problem is unavoidable. At first, we begin by simulating the landmine signature by solving a direct problem using the finite element method which constitutes the direct model. After that, we determine the landmine characteristics by using an inverse model based on a cost function optimization. This model is based on an iterative process which coupling nite element analysis and Particles Swarm Optimization (PSO). In this step, we apply two PSO techniques: the Standard PSO (SPSO) and the Improved PSO (IPSO), and discuss the problem of local minima of the cost function. The proposed iterative model is applied to determine the conductivity, geometry, and depth of metallic landmine from its signature measured by EMI. The numerical solution gives good results for the identification of landmine.
"An EMI Inversing Problem for Landmine Characterization Based on Improved Particle Swarm Optimization and Finite Element Analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 49, 411-428, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12122604
1. Wang, Y., Q. Song, T. Jin, Y. Shi, and X.-T. Huang, "Sparse time-frequency representation based feature extraction method for landmine discrimination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 459-475, 2013.
2. Throckmorton, C. S., S. L. Tantum, Y. Tan, and L. M. Collins, "Independent component analysis for UXO detection in highly cluttered environments," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 61, No. 3-4, 304-317, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2006.05.007
3. Tiwari, K. C., D. Singh, and M. K. Arora, "Development of a model for detection and estimation of depth of shallow buried non-metallic landmine at microwave X-band frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 225-250, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100201
4. Mahmoudi, M. and S. Y. Tan, "Depth detection of conducting marine mines via eddy-current and current-channeling response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 287-307, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09011301
5. Collins, L., C. E. Baum, and L. Carin, "Sensing of unexploded ordnance with magnetometer and induction data: Theory and signal processing," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1005-1015, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2003.810922
6. Pasion, L. R. and D. W. Oldenburg, "A discrimination algorithm for UXO using time domain electromagnetics," Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Vol. 6, No. 2, 91, 2001. doi:10.4133/JEEG6.2.91
7. O'Neill, K., F. Shubitidze, I. Shamatava, and K. D. Paulsen, "Accounting for the effects of widespread discrete clutter in subsurface EMI remote sensing of metallic objects," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 1, 32-46, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.858437
8. Miller, J. T., T. H. Bell, J. Soukup, and D. Keiswetter, "Simple phenomenological models for wideband frequency-domain electromagnetic induction," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, No. 6, 1294-1298, Jun. 2001. doi:10.1109/36.927452
9. Asten, M. W., "On the time-domain electromagnetic response of a conductive permeable sphere," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 67, 63-65, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2008.09.008
10. Moustafa, K. and K. F. A. Hussein, "Aperture sensor GPR system for land mine detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 21-37, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022607
11. Huang, Y., Y. Liu, Q. H. Liu, and J. Zhang, "Improved 3-D GPR detection by nufft combined with MPD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 185-199, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10021005
12. Shubitidze, F., K. L. O'Neil, B. E. Barrowes, I. Shamatava, J. P. Fernandez, K. Sun, and K. D. Paulsen, "Application of the normalized surface magnetic charge model to UXO discrimination in cases with overlapping signals," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 61, 292-303, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2006.06.008
13. Kakulia, D., K. Tavzarashvili, G. Chelidze, and F. Shubitidze, "Inversion of soil's and immersed objects's electromagnetic parameters simultaneously," DIPED-2009 IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 978-1, 4244-4201, 2009.
14. Won, I. J., "Characterization of UXO-like targets using broadband electromagnetic induction sensors," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 41, No. 3, 652-663, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2003.809936
15. Huang, H., B. SanFilipo, A. Oren, and I. J. Won, "Coaxial coil towed EMI sensor array for UXO detection and characterization," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 61, No. 3-4, 217-226, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2006.06.005
16. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Zhang, F.-T. Zha, J. Ling, and T. Wan, "Low RCS dipole array synthesis based on algorithm, MOM-PSO hybrid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 119-132, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09060902
17. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," EEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 1942-1948, Perth, Australia, Jan. 1995.
18. Zhang, Y., S. Wang, and L. Wu, "A novel method for magnetic resonance brain image classification based on adaptive chaotic PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 325-343, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10090105
19. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, L. Xu, and Y.-Q. Hei, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 461-476, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121503
20. Zhang, S., S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, P.-F. Zhang, and Q. Gong, "A novel IGA-EDSPSO hybrid algorithm for the synthesis of sparse arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 121-134, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08120806
21. Zhang, J., K. Liu, Y. Tan, and X. He, "Random black hole particle swarm optimization and its application," IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks and Signal Processing, 359-365, Jun. 2008.
22. Park, K., S. Park, K. Kim, and K. H. Ko, "Mumti-feature based detection of landmines using ground penetrating radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 455-474, 2013.
23. Pepper, D. and J. C. Heinrich, The Finite Element Method-basic Concepts and Applications, Taylor and Francis Group, New York, 2006.