This paper describes a novel FSS which functions as band stop filter to shield the GSM 1800 MHz downlink band. The FSS is designed to operate with the resonant frequency of 1820 MHz which is the centre frequency for the GSM 1800 MHz downlink band. The novelty is attributed to its unique geometry and the circular apertures endowed with it. The proposed geometry provides shielding effectiveness of 20 dB alongside with 133 MHz bandwidth. The structure holds identical response for both TE and TM Modes of polarization. In addition, the geometry with its circular apertures, a hitherto unexplored feasibility serves the purpose of ventilation and heat dissipation. The simulated results are validated using experimental measurements.
2. Delihacioglu, K., S. Uckun, and T. Ege, "FSS comprised of one-and two-turn square spiral shaped conductors on dielectric slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 81-92, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031213
4. Wu, G., X. Zhang, Z.-Q. Song, and B. Liu, "Analysis on shielding performance of metallic rectangular cascaded enclosure with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 185-195, 2011.
5. Kiani, G. I., K. L. Ford, K. P. Esselle, A. R. Weily, and C. Panagamuwa, "Angle and polarization independent bandstop frequency selective surface for indoor wireless systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2315-2317, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23654
6. Stefanelli, R. and D. Trinchero, "Reduction of electromagnetic interference by means of frequency selective devices," IEEE 17th International Conference on Telecommunications, 239-243, Apr. 2010.
7. Kumar, T. R. S. and C. Venkatesh, "Application of double layer frequency selective surface for SMPS shielding," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 438-441, 2011. doi:10.1109/ISEMC.2011.6038351
8. Kiermeier, W. and E. Biebl, "New dual-band frequency selective surfaces for GSM frequency shielding," Proc. 37th European Microwave Conference, 222-225, 2007.
9. Unal, E., A. Gokcen, and Y. Kutlu, "Effective electromagnetic shielding," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 4, 48-54, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/MMW.2006.1663989
10. Parker, E. and A. N. A. El Sheikh, "Convoluted array elements and reduced size unit cells for frequency-selective surfaces," IEE Proceedings H --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 138, No. 1, 19-22, 1991. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1991.0004
11. Taylor, P. S., A. C. M. Austin, E. A. Parker, M. J. Neve, J. C. Batchelor, J. T.-P. Yiin, M. Leung, G. B. Rowe, A. G. Williamson, and K. W. Sowerby, "Angular independent frequency selective surfaces for interference control in indoor wireless environments," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 2, 61-62, Jan. 19, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.3359