The problem of detecting point-like sources whose frequency spectrum is unknown is addressed. Limitations of single-frequency approaches are identified by analytical as well as numerical arguments. To overcome these limits, different multifrequency approaches which combine frequency data incoherently are compared. In particular, a novel multifrequency MUSIC-like algorithm based on interferometric idea is proposed. Results show that the algorithm outperforms other methods under comparison.
2. Devaney, , A. J. and G. C. Sherman, "Nonuniqueness in inverse source and scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, 1034-1037, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142902
3. Langenberg, , K. J., "Applied inverse problems for acoustic, electromagnetic and elastic wave scattering," Basic Methods of Tomography and Inverse Problems, P. C. Sabatier, 1987.
4. Pierri, , R., , A. Liseno, F. Soldovieri, and R. Solimene, "In-depth resolution for a strip source in the Fresnel zone," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, 352-359, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.000352
5. Marengo, E. A. and A. J. Devaney, "The inverse source problem of electromagnetics: Linear inversion formulation and minimum energy solution," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 4102, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.761085
6. Solimene, , R., , A. Buonanno, and R. Pierri, "Imaging small PEC spheres by a linear approach," IEEE Trans. Geosc. Rem. Sen., Vol. 46, 3010-3018, 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.919273
7. Yavuz, , M. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "Frequency dispersion compensation in time reversal techniques for UWB electromagnetic waves," IEEE Geosc. Rem. Sen. Lett., Vol. 2, 233-237, 2005. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2005.846835
8. Joh, , Y.-D., Y. M. Kwon, J. Y. Huh, and W.-K. Park, "Structure analysis of single- and 2 multi-frequency subspace migrations in 3 inverse scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 136, 607-622, 2013.
9. Solimene, , R., , A. Dell'Aversano, and G. Leone, "Interferometric time reversal MUSIC for small scatterer localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 243-258, 2012.
10. Schmidt, , R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, 276-280, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
11. Odendaal, , J. W., , E. Barnard, and C. W. I. Pistorious, "Two-dimensional super-resolution radar imaging using the MUSIC algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, 1386-1391, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.320744
12. Gruber, , F. K., , E. A. Marengo, and A. J. Devaney, "Time-reversal imaging with multiple signal classification considering multiple scattering between the targets," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 115, 3042-3047, 2004. doi:10.1121/1.1738451
14. Yavuz, , M. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "On the sensitivity of time-reversal imaging techniques to model perturbations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 834-843, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916933
15. Brancaccio, , A., , G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "Information content of born scattered fields: Results in the circular cylindrical case," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 15, 1909-1917, 1998. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.15.001909