Time-reversal (TR) invariance of the wave equation in lossless transmission line (TL) is here introduced as an improvement for fault-detection techniques in wire networks. This new approach is applied to reflectometry in wire diagnosis. To test the efficiency of this method, the reverse time algorithm simulated with FDTD (Finite Difference Time Domain) is developed in a one dimension space. It uses a new signal processing and an adapted signal to the wire under test for diagnosing the fault in the wire. In addition the interest of the convolution product between the incident signal and the output signal from this reverse time method will be also shown and applied in this paper. Through numerical simulations and experimental results measured on coaxial cable, the benefits of this method have been illustrated.
Lola El Sahmarany,
"Time Reversal for Soft Faults Diagnosis in Wire Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 31, 45-58, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13032801
1. Qinghai, S., U. Troeltzsch, and O. Kanoun, "A detection and localization of cable faults by time and frequency domain measurements," 2010 7th International Multi-Conference on Systems Signals and Devices (SSD), 1-6, 2010.
2. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, Wiley-Interscience Publication, 1994.
3. Smail, M. K., L. Pichon, M. Olivas, F. Auzanneau, M. Lambert, "Detection of defects in wiring networks using time domain reflectometry," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 8, 2998-3001, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2043720
4. Ravot, N., F. Auzanneau, Y. Bonhomme, M. Olivas, and F. Bouillault, "Distributed reflectometry-based diagnosis for complex wired networks," Proc. EMC Workshop: Safety, Reliability, Security Commun. Trans. Syst., Paris, France, 2007.
5. Auzanneau, F., M. O. Carrion, and N. Ravot, "A simple andaccurate model for wire diagnosis using reflectometry," PIERS Proceedings, 232-236, Prague, Czech Repulic, Aug. 27-30, 2007.
6. Auzanneau, F., "Wire troubleshooting and diagnosis: Review and perspectives," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 49, 253-279, 2013.
7. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, 1966.
8. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields part 1: Basic principles," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 39, No. 5, 555-566, 1992. doi:10.1109/58.156174
9. Moura, J. M. F. and Y. Jin, "Detection by time reversal: Single antenna," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 1, 187-201, 2007. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.882114
10. Lerosey, G., J. de Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, 194-301, 2004.
11. Shimura, T., Y. Watanabe, H. Ochi, and , "A basic research on the long horizontal active time reversal communication," MTTS/IEEE TECHNO-OCEAN'04, OCEANS'04, Vol. 4, 2219-2224, 2004. doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2004.1406493
12. Maaref, N., P. Millot, X. Ferrieres, C. Pichot, and O. Picon, "Instantaneous damage detection using time reversal process," 15th International Conference on Adaptive Structures and Technologies, Bar Harbor, Maine, Oct. 2004.
13. Maffref, N., P. Millot, X. Ferriµeres, C. Pichot, and O. Picon, "Electromagnetic imaging method based on time reversal processing applied to through-the-wall target localization," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 1, 59-67, 2008.
14. Neyrat, M., C. Guiffaut, A. Reineix, and F. Reynaud, "Reverse ime migration algorithm for detection of buried objectd in time domain," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
15. El Sahmarany, L., L. Berry, K. Kerroum, F. Auzanneau, and P. Bonnet, "Time reversal for wiring diagnosis," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 21, 1343-1344, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.2622
16. El Sahmarany, L., F. Auzanneau, and P. Bonnet, "Nouvelle methode de diagnostic dilaire basee sur le retournement temporel," 16eme edition du Colloque International sur la Compatibilite Electro. Magnetique (CEM), 2012.
17. Pan, T. W., C. W. Hsue, and J. F Huang, "Time-domain reflectometry using arbitrary incident waveforms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2558-2563, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.804644
18. Ki-Seok, K., T. S. Yoon, and J. B. Park, "Load impedance measurement on a coaxial cable via time-frequency domain reflectometry," SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference, 1643-1646, 2006.